Trouble setting desktop images

I had some pictures inserted into my desktop browser. When I click on some of
them to use as a desktop, instead of being a full picture, it shows up as
tiles on my screen. How can I get it or set it to where it is one full
picture and not many tiles? (This is a different question from the one I
asked in "Deleting Files" I got that fixed, thanks to all who helped.) Thank
you for any advice.
9 answers Last reply
More about trouble setting desktop images

    right click on your desktop and the properties box will pop up...on the
    desktop tab change your photo option window to center or stretch...it will
    say "tile" just click there and you will see your other options.

    It's pretty easy once you know how to do it.

    "Ambience" wrote:

    > I had some pictures inserted into my desktop browser. When I click on some of
    > them to use as a desktop, instead of being a full picture, it shows up as
    > tiles on my screen. How can I get it or set it to where it is one full
    > picture and not many tiles? (This is a different question from the one I
    > asked in "Deleting Files" I got that fixed, thanks to all who helped.) Thank
    > you for any advice.

    Thank you for your help :-) I tried it with the center and the picture was
    too small...and the stretch really well, ....stretched the picture beyond
    recognition. I'm kind of new to web art and things like that...I don't know
    how to size the picture so that it will fit on my desktop like the desktop
    images that come with windows xp. I appreciate any advice.

    Ambience wrote:
    > Thank you for your help :-) I tried it with the center and the
    > picture was too small...and the stretch really well, ....stretched
    > the picture beyond recognition. I'm kind of new to web art and things
    > like that...I don't know
    > how to size the picture so that it will fit on my desktop like the
    > desktop images that come with windows xp. I appreciate any advice.

    The default images for the desktop in C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper are all sized
    at 800x600 pixels or larger and 72 DPI (dots per inch) or more. You need to
    use an image editor to resize the images you wish to use, if they are not
    close to this default size.

    You can use a 'free' image editor like IrfanView which is capable of
    tweaking images just about every way they can be tweaked. Available here:

    http://www.irfanview.com/blank.htm

    Depending on the file format of the image, you may want to use IrfanView to
    convert the image to a different format prior to editing. Some image formats
    like .jpg and .gif are "lossy" formats, which means that when you edit the
    file, it will lose some of it's sharpness and quality. Other image formats
    like .tif, .bmp and .png are "lossless" formats which do not lose the
    quality when they are edited.

    You can open the image in IrfanView and select File/Save As and select a
    lossless format in the "Save as type" drop down menu to save a copy of the
    image. Open that copy and do your editing there.

    Select Image/Information from the Toolbar to see the current size and
    Image/Resize/Resample to make changes.

    Good Luck

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:29:02 -0700, Ambience wrote:

    > Thank you for your help :-) I tried it with the center and the picture was
    > too small...and the stretch really well, ....stretched the picture beyond
    > recognition. I'm kind of new to web art and things like that...I don't know
    > how to size the picture so that it will fit on my desktop like the desktop
    > images that come with windows xp. I appreciate any advice.

    Right click your desktop and select Properties. On the screen that appears,
    click the tab labeled "Settings." The slider in the lower left is your
    desktop size. Make a note of whatever it is. Example: 1024x768

    When you create an image for this desktop, create it as 1024x768. If you
    are downloading from a website, take a second look at the available links.
    Sometimes there are multiple links - each leading to a different sized
    image. Click the link for the one that is scaled to match your desktop
    size.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I apologize for taking so long to get back here. My work has kept me away
    from my computer. :-(
    Thank you Ronnie and Sharon for your help! :-) I have taken note of the
    link to Irfanview and the information on what I need to do in settings to get
    my desktop size. I am going to do that right now, and I'll let you know when
    I succeed! Thanks again! :-)

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:29:02 -0700, Ambience wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for your help :-) I tried it with the center and the picture was
    > > too small...and the stretch really well, ....stretched the picture beyond
    > > recognition. I'm kind of new to web art and things like that...I don't know
    > > how to size the picture so that it will fit on my desktop like the desktop
    > > images that come with windows xp. I appreciate any advice.
    >
    > Right click your desktop and select Properties. On the screen that appears,
    > click the tab labeled "Settings." The slider in the lower left is your
    > desktop size. Make a note of whatever it is. Example: 1024x768
    >
    > When you create an image for this desktop, create it as 1024x768. If you
    > are downloading from a website, take a second look at the available links.
    > Sometimes there are multiple links - each leading to a different sized
    > image. Click the link for the one that is scaled to match your desktop
    > size.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I'm back. I downloaded the Irfanview (Thanks, Ronnie!) and I figured out how
    to use it....sort of. Some of the pictures (they're not "photos" from a
    camera...they're like posters, art, things like that) which were at a much
    smaller pixel than the desktop size (which is 800 by 600 pixels (thanks
    Sharon!) ) when I set the pixels to the desktop size...the picture was out
    of focus due to the size. I can't figure out how to get the larger size to be
    focused, sharp and clear like the original size...or if I can even do that. ?
    (Thanks!)

    Ambience wrote:
    > I'm back. I downloaded the Irfanview (Thanks, Ronnie!) and I figured
    > out how to use it....sort of. Some of the pictures (they're not
    > "photos" from a camera...they're like posters, art, things like that)
    > which were at a much smaller pixel than the desktop size (which is
    > 800 by 600 pixels (thanks Sharon!) ) when I set the pixels to the
    > desktop size...the picture was out of focus due to the size. I can't
    > figure out how to get the larger size to be focused, sharp and clear
    > like the original size...or if I can even do that. ? (Thanks!)

    If you were using a lossless file type, then what you are seeing may be the
    best you can do. Unfortunately, once an image is created at a lower size, it
    can only be enlarged to a certain degree. The pixels can only be spread so
    far before you start seeing unacceptable results.
    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:17:01 -0700, Ambience wrote:

    > I'm back. I downloaded the Irfanview (Thanks, Ronnie!) and I figured out how
    > to use it....sort of. Some of the pictures (they're not "photos" from a
    > camera...they're like posters, art, things like that) which were at a much
    > smaller pixel than the desktop size (which is 800 by 600 pixels (thanks
    > Sharon!) ) when I set the pixels to the desktop size...the picture was out
    > of focus due to the size. I can't figure out how to get the larger size to be
    > focused, sharp and clear like the original size...or if I can even do that. ?
    > (Thanks!)

    It's a lot easier to resize an image to a smaller size. Very difficult and
    often impossible to get good results going the other way - smaller to
    larger. Ronnie has explained already explained a bit about the "why", so
    will leave it at that.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I understand now. Well, it was worth a try and I learned something new! :-)
    Thank you all so very much for showing me how to do this. I really appreciate
    it. Perhaps I'll work on designing my own desktops or I'll find the same
    pictures on a larger pixel. Thanks again! :-)

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:29:02 -0700, Ambience wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for your help :-) I tried it with the center and the picture was
    > > too small...and the stretch really well, ....stretched the picture beyond
    > > recognition. I'm kind of new to web art and things like that...I don't know
    > > how to size the picture so that it will fit on my desktop like the desktop
    > > images that come with windows xp. I appreciate any advice.
    >
    > Right click your desktop and select Properties. On the screen that appears,
    > click the tab labeled "Settings." The slider in the lower left is your
    > desktop size. Make a note of whatever it is. Example: 1024x768
    >
    > When you create an image for this desktop, create it as 1024x768. If you
    > are downloading from a website, take a second look at the available links.
    > Sometimes there are multiple links - each leading to a different sized
    > image. Click the link for the one that is scaled to match your desktop
    > size.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP