Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will this build run Battlefield 3 on medium or low settings?

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2012 5:03:11 PM

The most important thing to me is if I can run it, i don't really care about eye candy.

Price: 749.99
10GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
1.5TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.3GHz) 6MB on die Level 2 + 8MB shared on die Level 3
Radeon HD 7450 graphics 1GB DDR3 (dedicated); up to 4855MB total available
300 Watt Power supply

The reviews say it should have a better power supply and video card, but is it good enough to run on medium or low? If the psu is insufficient, what should I upgrade it to?

Link to build: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+-+10G...

Best solution

March 31, 2012 6:00:59 PM

That computer isn't designed for gaming. I would suggest you not buy it if you want to play BF3.

Pretty much every one of those parts is sub-par for gaming. No, not pretty much just plain all of them.

If you click the link in my signature, and click on the link for the $800 system, you can get and build that and it will perform like 2x better on BF3.

You would have to buy a legal copy of Windows and piece the thing together yourself (or if you are near DC I can do it), but there are plenty of videos that show how to do this step by step on youtube and you are here anyway so people here can help you if you get stuck.

It is pretty easy though, I have only seen 2 or 3 people out of thousands that just plain weren't up to the task of building it themselves.
March 31, 2012 6:08:25 PM

Amazing the garbage they sell as a PC.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 6:12:34 PM

build one yourself. thats robbery
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:15:26 PM

It is designed to install and run Microsoft Excel on, it would do that pretty well if you tried, so it does what it is meant to do.

It just doesn't do what the OP intends to do.
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:58:46 PM

Raiddinn said:
That computer isn't designed for gaming. I would suggest you not buy it if you want to play BF3.

Pretty much every one of those parts is sub-par for gaming. No, not pretty much just plain all of them.

If you click the link in my signature, and click on the link for the $800 system, you can get and build that and it will perform like 2x better on BF3.

You would have to buy a legal copy of Windows and piece the thing together yourself (or if you are near DC I can do it), but there are plenty of videos that show how to do this step by step on youtube and you are here anyway so people here can help you if you get stuck.

It is pretty easy though, I have only seen 2 or 3 people out of thousands that just plain weren't up to the task of building it themselves.

I'm not comfortable building my own, and have a ton of best buy gift cards. The graphics card, motherboard, and processor are all available from best buy, but the rest are not. Is there a build similar to that one that I can have Best Buy build for me?
m
l
Anonymous
March 31, 2012 7:06:05 PM

trade all those gift cards to someone that can build you a better system!
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:44:31 PM

How about I order all the parts from Newegg. I build it including installing the OS and everything, then I ship it to your house.

In exchange, you pay cost for all the parts, shipping, and a mutually agreed upon flat fee for labor?

As part of the deal, you are free to get any parts you want from Best Buy and ship them to me instead of me ordering it from Newegg. This would directly reduce the cost I pay for parts on Newegg and decrease the amount directly from the total bill.

You could do the same thing from a parts website like www.cyberpowerpc.com or www.ibuypower.com instead, but they will charge you a higher fee for labor most likely.

You could build the same computer on one of those websites and if it is cheaper than having me do it just let them do it instead, too.
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:10:19 PM

Raiddinn said:
How about I order all the parts from Newegg. I build it including installing the OS and everything, then I ship it to your house.

In exchange, you pay cost for all the parts, shipping, and a mutually agreed upon flat fee for labor?

As part of the deal, you are free to get any parts you want from Best Buy and ship them to me instead of me ordering it from Newegg. This would directly reduce the cost I pay for parts on Newegg and decrease the amount directly from the total bill.

You could do the same thing from a parts website like www.cyberpowerpc.com or www.ibuypower.com instead, but they will charge you a higher fee for labor most likely.

You could build the same computer on one of those websites and if it is cheaper than having me do it just let them do it instead, too.

I found a local computer shop that can build it for me. Do you have any recommendations on where to get windows 7 cheap? Or a build similar to yours that Includes Windows 7?
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:12:48 PM

Get an OEM copy off Newegg for 100$. Cheapest way.
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:46:52 PM

As long as the computer store is going to install Windows on the PC and take all the support calls from you about your computer not working, you can buy an OEM CD and have them install it for you.

If they build the computer and give it to you and you install the OS, then an OEM CD isn't legal according to its EULA. You would need to acquire a cheap student copy, or an upgrade CD if you qualify for that, or a regular retail copy.
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:55:02 PM

Raiddinn said:
As long as the computer store is going to install Windows on the PC and take all the support calls from you about your computer not working, you can buy an OEM CD and have them install it for you.

If they build the computer and give it to you and you install the OS, then an OEM CD isn't legal according to its EULA. You would need to acquire a cheap student copy, or an upgrade CD if you qualify for that, or a regular retail copy.

I'm in school right now and the store at the university sells windows 7 upgrade discs for $30. I can't just use those on a fresh install right?
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:58:09 PM

Nope, you need a previous version of windows. However, you should be able to get a student version for very cheap, look harder. :) 
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:06:36 PM

gary1 said:
Nope, you need a previous version of windows. However, you should be able to get a student version for very cheap, look harder. :) 

Thanks, I just got it for free!
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:18:16 PM

Many schools sell full retail copies for $30 to students. If you are a student, you can get a full retail version of Windows 7 Professional x64 for $65ish on the Microsoft Student website. Then you can do whatever you want with it, move it from computer to computer as you upgrade, or whatever else. It is also legal for you to install on a computer you intend to personally use.

However, if you have a legal copy of XP or Vista or a different version of Windows 7, then you can buy the upgrade CD if you agree not to use the previous copy. The upgrade CD will install onto a blank hard drive just fine. You may have to install it on top of itself to get it to activate, but it would just take twice as long to get Windows installed, other than that there is nothing to worry about.
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:42:15 PM

gary1 said:
Get an OEM copy off Newegg for 100$. Cheapest way.

oem copies are tied to the motherboard so if he gets a new build he can not reuse the copy.

OP get a regular copy if you can

gary1 said:

you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc. i have done it.
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:59:06 PM

That computer you listed in your first post would run BF3 on medium settings if you get a better graphics card. I have that processor and its fine for BF3. The ram is crap though. Does best buy sell processors and motherboards? I've seen RAM, power supplies, graphics cards, and cases there. In fact (now don't pick on me fellas), I got my case and power supply there, I was suprised when I saw them on such a good sale so I looked it up on newegg and it was cheaper than buying them on newegg and I didn't have to wait for shipping. I've never seen processors or motherboards though.
m
l
March 31, 2012 10:32:20 PM

Best Buy has some pretty sucky RAM selection. I looked one time I happened to be in the store for something else and they had one brand (PNY) which I wouldn't suggest people get and they only had 2 kinds, the 1x 2GB 1333 and 2x 2GB 1333 I think.

Probably not much better for graphics cards if they have them.

They may give some good deals on what they have sometimes, but they don't give you many choices regardless.

I would only get something from Best Buy if I knew what I wanted already and they happened to have a good deal on it at that time. I would not suggest anyone do their shopping at Best Buy regardless of prices.

Best Buy carries a lot of terrible crap in their inventory, I can tell you that for sure, especially PSUs.

If you got something good and on sale, more power to you.
m
l
March 31, 2012 11:27:27 PM

Raiddinn said:

The CPU is fine for BF3 I use it with my other parts and run Ultra settings. The other parts he was thinking of getting wouldn't be a good combination to run BF3.
m
l
March 31, 2012 11:37:14 PM

that pc is trash... how did they come up with 10gb of ram is what i wonder

and no, it's not designed to run office... the problem with it is that it's not designed at all, looks more like there was a 3 year old kid picking components randomly

for office i'd rather get i3 2120, 8gb ram, 60/64gb ssd and 1tb hdd for almost half that price
m
l
April 1, 2012 12:57:50 AM

HP, DELL, IBM, and other OEM maker computers target the enterprise (corporation) market primarily. That is why you see stuff like 2600 processors with no graphics card in a lot of these computers.

This is another attempt at that.

They may have retards designing their computers, but they are still designed to target enterprise customers.

They do a good job of it too, no company around has all their computers built by picking individual parts.

The most demanding thing a lot of business people have to do is run excel and powerpoint.

Also, they have to try to make the computers as widely applicable as possible. If there is some company that is going to be buying 40 of the same computers (common) and 1 user out of those 40 happens to need 2 TB of hard drive space, then every one of those 40 people will have 2 TBs of hard drive space.

Same thing for graphics cards, if one of them needs a 6700 card, then they will all have one.

It is about as inefficient as it could possibly be, but from an IT configuration management standpoint it makes things a whole lot simpler. They have to make 1 basic configuration and they can use it on all the computers.

That way they don't need to keep up with 40 completely different configurations.

Anyway, any time you want to build a computer for a specific task, it will usually be more efficient to pick parts tailored to that task.

The OEMs have to tailor each "build" they make to be able to do any of 100 tasks, though, so its not really the same thing.

That is why most people aren't advised to buy OEM PCs, because they are almost never build to handle any specific task, much less the one that the OP wants to do.
m
l
April 1, 2012 1:07:24 AM

The guy from the local computer shop is charging $175, so that's out. How about Frys, are they any better?

If that's also out, what do you guys suggest? I have zero confidence in being able to build it myself.
m
l
April 1, 2012 1:23:28 AM

Their is a 650$ budget marathon on the frontpage of tomshardware its a good start.
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:24:21 AM

The most recent builder marathon royally sucked, and I wouldn't suggest people buy those computers.

I said as much in the comments too.

Oasis - watch some videos on Youtube that explain this process and tell me if you feel any more confident.
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:57:54 AM

Raiddinn said:
The most recent builder marathon royally sucked, and I wouldn't suggest people buy those computers.

I said as much in the comments too.

Oasis - watch some videos on Youtube that explain this process and tell me if you feel any more confident.

A month ago I watched this two hour video that detailed the entire building process. It just convinced me that I wouldn't be able to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo&feature=play...

There's a Frys an hour away from me. Do you have any suggestions for what parts I can choose from them?
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:37:41 AM

Call Fry's and ask how much they would charge you to build the same computer that the other computer shop would charge $175 for.
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:28:59 PM

Raiddinn said:
Call Fry's and ask how much they would charge you to build the same computer that the other computer shop would charge $175 for.

$70.00 for building it. They charge $30 more for installing the OS, but I can do that on my own. I have Windows 7 already from my school, so that'll save some money.

I also do not have to buy the parts from them. I can buy them from newegg or wherever, and just bring it to them. So is the $800 build in your sig my best option?
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:37:38 PM

I am not going to say it is the... best... option, but it is a very good setup that isn't weak in any particular area.

Budgets under $1000 often mean people need to sacrifice in some area to gain in others. That computer sacrifices a little in the way of graphics power in order to get high quality parts in all the other areas.

Most people sacrifice in other areas in order to gain in graphics and I don't think it is a terribly good idea to do that. If you sacrifice in case and PSU, for instance, you could end up with heat and power problems that negate most of the advantage of the better graphics card and it is worse for the life of the parts.

Anyway, I made those builds because they are good for ensuring a good user experience which is what I want other people to have. I do think you would do pretty well with those parts if you get them.

m
l
April 1, 2012 2:48:46 PM

Alright, I'm going to order the parts. Thanks!
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:18:25 PM

Best answer selected by oasis5001.
m
l
!