Sign in with
Your question

Could my PSU be frying my graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2012 2:28:15 PM

i have a Palit 9400GT graphics card that is about 2 years old. Once when watching a HD movie the computer simply crashed with a strange buzzing sound in my speakers. I restarted it n i couldnt get any visual. So i switched to my onboard vga. The graphics card was not even detected by device manager but its fan was running.
Then i got the graphics card serviced and it was detected for about 1 second before i lost visual again! I sent for replacement, so i got another 9400GT ( not new but another piece) which worked for about 15 minutes. It then crashed when i was playing NFS. So i am now wondering whether it is the card's fault or my motherboard PCI E slot's fault.
I cleaned the slot with a paintbrush and inserted the card again, but to no avail!! The card dint work in a friends computer either. I read online that it could be my PSU or earth problem. And i want to be sure about it. So what do you think guys? Is it a power supply prob or the graphics card? (i dont entirely trust the dealer)

these are my specs..
Graphics card: Palit 9400GT
PSU: Mercury ATX 450W
2 GB RAM
Processor: Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
Onboard: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

Please help guys. i searched a whole lot of threads and it wasnt much help!
Thanks!!!
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 2:42:39 PM

No way to be sure it is the PSU without switching it out, but Mercury PSU's are pretty junky.
a c 85 U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 2:43:38 PM

would suggest to try another psu then if you get video from the onboard try the pci-e card
Related resources
January 24, 2012 2:48:42 PM

i just want t be sure if it is the PSU and not the graphics card prob. cos i dont want my future card to die too! it would be great help if anyone can pinpoint the problem.
January 25, 2012 2:39:57 PM

alright this is what i got without plugging in the graphics card. cant understand it theough.

thanks.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 3:22:58 PM

regodon said:
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o507/regodon/Capture.jpg

alright this is what i got without plugging in the graphics card. cant understand it theough.

thanks.

I hate having people download stuff but with the screenshot you posted I need a second reading with another program just to make sure the numbers are right... "if" the numbers are right, then you have a serious problem with your power supply and I would recommend not using the computer until it's replaced. But, software monitoring can be wrong thus is wise to check with different programs to verify...

download Speccy and run the program and click on the "motherboard" icon and post a shot~

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

ps- the temps on the HDD looks to be pretty high; you may have a temperature problem going on as well.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:06:08 PM

100 percent agree with russwood1488
exactly what I would say
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:09:31 PM

8.13 on the +12v means the readings are most likely wrong, as is generally the case with software voltage readings.
Check in the bios.
Then use DMM.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:10:03 PM

jsc said:
No way to be sure it is the PSU without switching it out, but Mercury PSU's are pretty junky.

+1 [:russwood1488:7]
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:12:10 PM

delluser1 said:
8.13 on the +12v means the readings are most likely wrong, as is generally the case with software voltage readings.
Check in the bios.
Then use DMM.

Good point, but if an OEM machine he may not have the diagnostic readings in Bios... and most people aren't comfortable physically messing with electricity. I'm skeptical on just telling people to stick A here and B there... although a DMM is the most accurate.
January 25, 2012 4:36:17 PM

alright people. here it is!
i had that overheating problem(where my PC used to restart) but a friend came over n applied thermal paste, n fooled around with the bios.. setting the fans to spin at MAX. after that i dint have any restarting prob( though i leave one side of the cabinet open so as to not overheat again)

n btw are these PSU and heating problems interconnected?
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:49:16 PM

regodon said:
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o507/regodon/Capture-1.jpg

alright people. here it is!
i had that overheating problem(where my PC used to restart) but a friend came over n applied thermal paste, n fooled around with the bios.. setting the fans to spin at MAX. after that i dint have any restarting prob( though i leave one side of the cabinet open so as to not overheat again)

n btw are these PSU and heating problems interconnected?

Delluser & Mal are right in their respective comments... 2v & 8v on the 3.3 & 12v rails doesn't seem right and don't think the computer would even run... can you enter your bios (press "esc" or "delete" when prompted upon boot) and look for voltage readings...
a c 85 U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 5:36:50 PM

that psu is not working well so dont wait to burn something else do as you been recommended get a new psu
January 28, 2012 2:33:57 AM

thanks for your help people! im getting a new PSU! probably a corsair 400/430 W! and my G card replaced too!! :D 
!