Comments/suggestions on ~$750 gaming setup

Hackchaw

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
CPU : Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core
Motherboard : Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 ATX LGA1155
Hard Drive : Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU : Radeon HD 6870 1GB (haven't picked a manufacturer)
RAM : 4GBx2 G.Skill Ripjaws (DDR3 - 1600 PC3 - 12800)
Power Supply : Corsair Gaming Series v2.3 800W ATX12V
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (Will upgrade to ultimate)

Already have all the peripherals and case.

Mostly looking for advice on any possible compatibility issues or potential bottlenecks. Also, any advice on which manufacturers I should look at for the Graphics card would be great, I dont really know how they compare to each other.

This system is designed with upgradability in mind, with plenty of additional capacity with a 800W PSU.
I also went with a newer motherboard for the same reason.

I don't have a hard budget cap, but the build as it stands is already quite a bit over what I had planned to spend at first.
Any comments about how I can save money and still get similar performance are welcomed.

The main games I plan to play are Dota 2, Diablo 3, and Skyrim.

Not planning on overclocking, possibility for Crossfire in the future. Assemble/use in USA.

Thanks!

G

For manufacturers XFX is very popular, and also come with a double life warranty. EVGA is my preferred choice just based on past purchases and customer support. Honestly there isn't much of a difference anymore, just look for best specs, Google customer support(each company will have horror stories so keep that in mind) and weigh prices. Its mostly personal preference, but ASUS EVGA and XFX are usually the top 3. Gigabyte isn't far behind and i actually have a card from them that is almost 3 years old and still pumping out strong.

Long story short, check the cards warranty info and read reviews. You'll grow to love a brand like I did.

Right now, any changes would affect performance and upgrade-ability options in the future.

How much are you looking to trim off the cost?
The PSU is the obvious place to start. Instead of planning for 2 graphics card, use the sell old card, buy new upgrade card strategy. That would let you get by with a very high quality $70 PSU.

Beyond that:
MB - H61
CPU - Pentium G850
GPU - HD 6850