nasko

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
hello. Iam running a dell xps 8300 i7 with a gtx 560ti and a antec ea650 green psu. System runs perfect however when iam gaming my psu gets pretty hot. Is that normal ? when i touch the back of the psu the metal where the fan blows gets pretty hot. It wont burn you but its hot. im wondering if iam pushing the psu to its limits. The 560ti is a evga fpb with a 30a 12v requirement 500w psu. The psu handles 38A and continuous 650w. You would think you have some headroom. The system runs normal no crashing and all. The gpu temp reach 80c max and the cpu on full load 75c. The psu is silent and no sign of working too hard.

Those 2 statements kind of counteract each other
Unless it's faulty the EA650 is more than a match for your system
Run the system with the case side off and look to see that the psu fan is spinning

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Chances are the video card and system heat are being vented through the power supply in that case you need proper air flow through the case to stop heat from going through the power supply.

dell-xps-8300_inside.jpg

From the looks of it has small back case fan and maybe no front fan pulling air through the case.

Best fix would be to buy a gaming case and move all of it to there that case has poor air flow.

Something like this would be ideal:
=http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1390&ID=1835

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I can't feel it and tell you if its just warm or if its really strangely hot, but I wouldn't worry about it. Did you try a thermometer?

My wife has that machine and sure, you can do better, but its fine. I have the stock Dell 430w psu and a 560 448 in it and it never draws more than 300w from the wall. Your component temperatures are fine...

Interestingly, Jonny found that psu worked better warm: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=110

nasko

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Here is an updates. I ended ripping my whole system changed the motherboard and put my cpu in plus got the Haf 922 case for better airflow. i was suprised that temps stayed the same believe or not. I love my case though :)