Plasma or LCD

Last response: in Video Games
April 17, 2005 1:43:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
buying one or the other tomorrow.

Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?

Cheers

More about : plasma lcd

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:43:12 AM

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Neither. Get a DLP instead.
April 17, 2005 1:43:12 AM

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Realize that plasma consumes more power (not that LCD is light on
electric either) and is extremely susceptible to burn in.
April 17, 2005 1:43:12 AM

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Of those two options...I would go with LCD. Especially if using it for
gaming.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:43:12 AM

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

I use the Samsung SyncMaster 173MW LCD, after 6 month's it's perfect as the
day I bought it, I've left GT4 running on it for hours and many X-Box games,
I also have a PC attached to it and it gives me Pic in Pic with built in TV
tunner.

It's been the most used monitor I've ever purchased without a glitch with
impecible clarity, no visible lines either.
April 17, 2005 1:43:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

If you will be playing games on it, STAY AWAY from plasma. They are very
susceptible to burn in (health meters, status bars, static maps, etc.)
"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

April 17, 2005 1:43:13 AM

In article <xQ88e.3693$0d6.2250@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>, "Matt" <mattnews@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>Assuming your talking flat-panel LCD vs. Plasma, I'd say NEITHER based on
>your TV viewing needs. BOTH DVD & XBox (as well as HD TV) will have you
>watching various aspect ratios for years (actually, forEVER if you prefer
>movies in their original format). This means BLACK BARS somewhere on the
>screen with almost everything you watch). Both technologies you've listed
>(especially the more expensive PLASMA) are susceptible to their own types of
>burn-in (although burn-OUT would be a more accurate term).

What kind of burn-in does LCD suffer??

Anyway, I have LCD-projection. It has its plusses and minuses.
Good bang for the buck. Nice weight/size/$ compromise. Not the
greatest black-level or gray-scale. Note it does look different
than direct view. Compare film-to-screen matte look vs TV/Plasma
shiny. And, AFAIK, no burn-in issue.

I can recommend it, but note that each technology has its plusses
and minuses. So as the above poster said, check out all
technologies (direct CRT, CRT-projection, plasma, LCD, LCD-proj,
DLP-proj). For the original poster's query, and depending on the
size he wants, I too would favor DLP and LCD projection.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:43:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

I whole-heartedly agree. I use the Sony Grand WEGA 70" in my front room
with every game console known to man hooked up to it and it looks
phoenonemal with all and with NO BURN IN ISSUES.

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> The Don wrote:
>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>
>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>
>> Cheers
>

> Of those two options...I would go with LCD. Especially if using it for
> gaming.

April 17, 2005 1:43:13 AM

On 16 Apr 2005 05:35:22 -0700, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

>|The Don wrote:
>|> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
>|of
>|> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>|>
>|> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>|>
>|> Cheers
>|
>|Neither. Get a DLP instead.

Bingo.

Pluvious
April 17, 2005 2:14:00 AM

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Decide on what size screen you want and that will dictate (more or less)
whether you get LCD or Plasma.
April 17, 2005 2:14:01 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:14:00 +1000, John <nospam@afp.gov.au> wrote:

>The Don wrote:
>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>
>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>
>> Cheers
>
>Decide on what size screen you want and that will dictate (more or less)
> whether you get LCD or Plasma.

lcd will last longer.
I prefer the sets with the old style tubes which last many years
longer than lcd or plasma.
April 17, 2005 2:14:02 AM

"ko" <ko@l.l> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:14:00 +1000, John <nospam@afp.gov.au> wrote:
>
>>The Don wrote:
>>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
>>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>
>>Decide on what size screen you want and that will dictate (more or less)
>> whether you get LCD or Plasma.
>
> lcd will last longer.
> I prefer the sets with the old style tubes which last many years
> longer than lcd or plasma.

I went to this site before I bought my LCD projection tv. They have a TON
of info and it's very helpful. I don't get anything for this site, I just
wanted to share the info.
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:24:25 PM

"The Don" wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.

Don't. Save money and get a very good CRT.

--
/^\damnfine/^\
"Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Thanks every one for the advice, I decided to go for the following:

Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA), because I got such a good deal I also picked
up a Panasonic surround sound system!!

Thanks again everyone!!!!
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 8:16:00 PM

> I decided to go for the following:
> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA)

I'm keen to buy a new high quality TV. I start a new job on Monday and had
30 days untaken annual leave which I just had paid out by my old company so
I'm feeling slightly affluent :)

What is the price of that model? (RRP is fine, although if you were willing,
the price you paid would be great to know!). Also, does it have a built-in
digital TV tuner? How many AV inputs does it have?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 8:16:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> > Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> > buying one or the other tomorrow.
> >
> > Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Thanks every one for the advice, I decided to go for the following:
>
> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA), because I got such a good deal I also picked
> up a Panasonic surround sound system!!
>
> Thanks again everyone!!!!

Congratz, sounds good enough, Have fun :)
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 9:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chP...

Great tv for gaming and DVDs, and a great price.

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> > Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> > buying one or the other tomorrow.
> >
> > Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Thanks every one for the advice, I decided to go for the following:
>
> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA), because I got such a good deal I also picked
> up a Panasonic surround sound system!!
>
> Thanks again everyone!!!!

April 18, 2005 3:16:10 AM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> The Don wrote:
>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
> of
>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>
>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Neither. Get a DLP instead.

Could you please elaborate? I'm trying to decide myself between an LCD and
DLP.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:50:22 AM

"David M. Williams" <ap_dmw@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> I decided to go for the following:
>> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA)
>
> I'm keen to buy a new high quality TV. I start a new job on Monday and had
> 30 days untaken annual leave which I just had paid out by my old company
> so I'm feeling slightly affluent :)
>
> What is the price of that model? (RRP is fine, although if you were
> willing, the price you paid would be great to know!). Also, does it have a
> built-in digital TV tuner? How many AV inputs does it have?

RRP is listed as $4,999 (Ausutralian), discounted to $4,499, I paid $3970.

It has around 4-5 AV points inlucing two PC Ports.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:44:17 AM

"Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chP...
>
> Great tv for gaming and DVDs, and a great price.

What about burn in, most of my investigations when buying a TV indiacted
that I should navoid Plasmas for that very reason.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:44:18 AM

> "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chP...

> > Great tv for gaming and DVDs, and a great price.
> >

> What about burn in, most of my investigations when buying a TV indiacted
> that I should navoid Plasmas for that very reason.

Had mine for 2 years. Not a hint of burn-in.

Skye
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 11:46:19 AM

> "David M. Williams" <ap_dmw@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>> I decided to go for the following:
>>> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA)
>>
>> I'm keen to buy a new high quality TV. I start a new job on Monday and
>> had 30 days untaken annual leave which I just had paid out by my old
>> company so I'm feeling slightly affluent :)
>>
>> What is the price of that model? (RRP is fine, although if you were
>> willing, the price you paid would be great to know!). Also, does it have
>> a built-in digital TV tuner? How many AV inputs does it have?
>>

> RRP is listed as $4,999 (Ausutralian), discounted to $4,499, I paid $3970.
>
> It has around 4-5 AV points inlucing two PC Ports.

Hers the link to what I got:

http://www.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/template_prod...
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:38:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

I have or had a Samsung 61" DLP, 62" Toshiba DLP, 65" Toshiba RPTV, 50"
Pioneer Plasma, 26" Sharp LCD, 32" Sanyo CRT HDTV, 36" Toshiba CRT HDTV and
a Sony 36" CRT HDTV....which one was the best for xbox games? The Sony 36"
CRT HDTV...hands down IMO. Best bang for your buck!

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:41:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

Have you seen this burn in dan? I ask because I was told I would get burn in
on my 65" RPTV and after 5 years and 1000's of gaming hours I have nada. No
burn in...I play lots of sports games too.

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> If you will be playing games on it, STAY AWAY from plasma. They are very
> susceptible to burn in (health meters, status bars, static maps, etc.)
> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> > Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> > buying one or the other tomorrow.
> >
> > Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
> >
> > Cheers

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

dlp.

never wears out. great black levels. no burn in.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:24:49 PM

"Mark" <david_s_92@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The Don wrote:
>>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
>> of
>>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>
>> Neither. Get a DLP instead.
>>

> Could you please elaborate? I'm trying to decide myself between an LCD and
> DLP.

dlp has much deeper blacks, won't wear out, and won't burn in. also no
screen door effect, and no stuck colored pixels.
April 18, 2005 8:27:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

I also have a RP crt which I use for gaming. From what I've read, it seems
that plasma tv's are the most susceptible to burn in, more so than rp crt.
"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:26:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:16:10 -0700, "Mark" <david_s_92@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The Don wrote:
>>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
>> of
>>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>
>> Neither. Get a DLP instead.
>>

>Could you please elaborate? I'm trying to decide myself between an LCD and
>DLP.

Both LCD's and DLP's have advantages and drawbacks. The best thing is
to do some research and ultimately let your eyes be the judge.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ is an excellent resource.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:04:20 PM

In alt.games.video.xbox Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote:

> >|Neither. Get a DLP instead.

> Bingo.

Bleah. DLPs always look blue to me - especially the whites. I can see
the color separation between the purple, green, red.

Plasma sets look fuzzy to me.

CRT is just too big, bulky, and need professional adjusting.

LCD may be more expensive, but that's the technology I've been looking at.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:15:43 PM

In alt.games.video.xbox Khee Mao <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> dlp has much deeper blacks, won't wear out, and won't burn in. also no
> screen door effect, and no stuck colored pixels.

All true. However, I (and some others) don't like the way white or other
light colors are rendered with DLP. If I move my eyes rapidly across a
DLP screen, the whites "break" into bands of red, blue and green -
which is a bit distracting. Even if I don't move my eyes around, DLP's
"white" looks sort of bluish to me anyways.

LCD has excellent color reproduction, won't burn in, but does suffer from
"screen door" (you can see the individual pixels) if you are close to the
screen.

Before you go shopping, have some idea about how far from the screen you
will be sitting, as well as how large of a viewing angle you'll need.
When you get to the store, try to stand about as far from the screen as
your couch would be, and walk around the screen a bit to see how clear the
picture remains. Some older sets, especially rear-projection sets, had
smaller viewing angles - meaning if you were too far to the left or the
right, the picture would be distorted. Most sets have a pretty good
viewing angle now, but you should still keep this in mind since not
everyone may be sitting front & center.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:15:44 PM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> In alt.games.video.xbox Khee Mao <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> dlp has much deeper blacks, won't wear out, and won't burn in. also no
>> screen door effect, and no stuck colored pixels.
>
> All true. However, I (and some others) don't like the way white or other
> light colors are rendered with DLP. If I move my eyes rapidly across a
> DLP screen, the whites "break" into bands of red, blue and green -
> which is a bit distracting. Even if I don't move my eyes around, DLP's
> "white" looks sort of bluish to me anyways.
>
> LCD has excellent color reproduction, won't burn in, but does suffer from
> "screen door" (you can see the individual pixels) if you are close to the
> screen.
>
> Before you go shopping, have some idea about how far from the screen you
> will be sitting, as well as how large of a viewing angle you'll need.
> When you get to the store, try to stand about as far from the screen as
> your couch would be, and walk around the screen a bit to see how clear the
> picture remains. Some older sets, especially rear-projection sets, had
> smaller viewing angles - meaning if you were too far to the left or the
> right, the picture would be distorted. Most sets have a pretty good
> viewing angle now, but you should still keep this in mind since not
> everyone may be sitting front & center.

ah...you are one of the few who sees the "rainbows". I'm one of the
lucky(?) ones that don't. I haven't noticed any bluish tinge to whites, but
I haven't run any calibration tests either. everything I've seen so far
looks normal. there is a setting (at least on my set) for color
temperature. that may help the tint, but probably not the rainbows.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:33:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

In alt.games.video.xbox Khee Mao <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ah...you are one of the few who sees the "rainbows". I'm one of the
> lucky(?) ones that don't. I haven't noticed any bluish tinge to whites, but
> I haven't run any calibration tests either. everything I've seen so far
> looks normal. there is a setting (at least on my set) for color
> temperature. that may help the tint, but probably not the rainbows.

Yes, I'm aware that bluish tinged whites can fixed by adjusting the set,
but that won't fully solve the rainbow problem (though it'd certainly help
minimize it.) This brings up another point - be aware that the sets in
the stores are NOT calibrated properly (if at all.) Most sets have their
contrast and brightness settings cranked way up in the factory, not to
mention the fact that most sales clerks barely know how to turn on a
display, much less configure it properly... The exception to this is if
you go to a AV boutique, but then, you can expect to pay a bit more. But
at least the clerks tend to be knowledgeable, and are willing to help you
find the right set for your needs, as opposed to just trying to get you to
buy the store's extended warranty every 30 seconds.
April 20, 2005 5:50:48 PM

GridIronGhost wrote:
> I have or had a Samsung 61" DLP, 62" Toshiba DLP, 65" Toshiba RPTV, 50"
> Pioneer Plasma, 26" Sharp LCD, 32" Sanyo CRT HDTV, 36" Toshiba CRT HDTV and
> a Sony 36" CRT HDTV....which one was the best for xbox games? The Sony 36"
> CRT HDTV...hands down IMO. Best bang for your buck!

you go through tvs like underwear. What gives?
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:50:49 PM

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> GridIronGhost wrote:
>> I have or had a Samsung 61" DLP, 62" Toshiba DLP, 65" Toshiba RPTV, 50"
>> Pioneer Plasma, 26" Sharp LCD, 32" Sanyo CRT HDTV, 36" Toshiba CRT HDTV
>> and
>> a Sony 36" CRT HDTV....which one was the best for xbox games? The Sony
>> 36"
>> CRT HDTV...hands down IMO. Best bang for your buck!
>>

> you go through tvs like underwear. What gives?

sounds like a Ninja Gaiden/controller throwing issue
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:53:45 AM

> > Bingo.
>
> Bleah. DLPs always look blue to me - especially the whites. I can see
> the color separation between the purple, green, red.
>
> Plasma sets look fuzzy to me.
>
> CRT is just too big, bulky, and need professional adjusting.
>
> LCD may be more expensive, but that's the technology I've been looking at.

With LCD you deal with lamp life and the fact that the color black is
generally far worse that what you get with DLP.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:53:46 AM

news:D YB9e.10708$go4.616@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

>> > Bingo.
>>
>> Bleah. DLPs always look blue to me - especially the whites. I can see
>> the color separation between the purple, green, red.
>>
>> Plasma sets look fuzzy to me.
>>
>> CRT is just too big, bulky, and need professional adjusting.
>>
>> LCD may be more expensive, but that's the technology I've been looking
>> at.
>
> With LCD you deal with lamp life and the fact that the color black is
> generally far worse that what you get with DLP.

still have to replace lamps with DLP, but DLPs don't deteriorate with age.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:11:21 AM

In alt.games.video.xbox Skye <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > LCD may be more expensive, but that's the technology I've been looking at.

> With LCD you deal with lamp life and the fact that the color black is
> generally far worse that what you get with DLP.

True. But after weighing the options, I think it's the best choice for
me. I know there's a few other oddball technologies out there, but they
aren't very widespread and tend to be more expensive due to them being
proprietary.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:11:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

In alt.games.video.xbox Khee Mao <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> still have to replace lamps with DLP, but DLPs don't deteriorate with age.

I didn't think LCDs did either?
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:15:07 AM

In alt.games.video.xbox GridIronGhost <GridIronGhost@hotmale.com> wrote:
> I have or had a Samsung 61" DLP, 62" Toshiba DLP, 65" Toshiba RPTV, 50"
> Pioneer Plasma, 26" Sharp LCD, 32" Sanyo CRT HDTV, 36" Toshiba CRT HDTV and
> a Sony 36" CRT HDTV....which one was the best for xbox games? The Sony 36"
> CRT HDTV...hands down IMO. Best bang for your buck!

Direct view CRTs win hands down for viewing angle, picture quality, color
reproduction, brightness and price - BUT are heavy, large, and aren't
found in sizes in excess of 36". I'm looking at something in the 55-65"
range. I don't like RP-CRTs due to their finickiness (I really don't want
to have to have a technician come in every few years to twiddle with the
mirrors...)

But if you're looking for a <40" screen, direct view CRT should be one of
your considerations.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:01:26 PM

> In alt.games.video.xbox Khee Mao <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > still have to replace lamps with DLP, but DLPs don't deteriorate with
age.

> I didn't think LCDs did either?

Yep, they do. Just get one that has a lamp life in the range of 20,000+
hours.
!