Sign in with
Your question

All Programs Repeatedly Crashing Until Reboot

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2012 7:19:21 PM

Occasionally, a program on my computer will crash, and take everything else down with it. Any attempts to open or reopen programs will result in a loud static sound and a graphical error where it looks like the screen is jagged and being torn apart, followed by another crash. I've searched everywhere, but can't seem to find a solution to the problem, or even know what's causing it! The issue occurs frequently when playing Diablo 3 Beta, occasionally when playing Starcraft 2, and now it's started rarely crashing in Mass Effect 3. Can someone please tell me what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Edit: System Info:

Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD/USB3
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SE
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Processor 4.0.1 GHz
Ram: 8 GB

Let me know if any additional info is needed. Those are the things that come to mind off the top of my head.
March 31, 2012 7:23:34 PM

It would help to know your components ;) 
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:33:28 PM

What do you mean by components? Sorry, I've never had an issue I couldn't figure out on my own before. New to asking others for help.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2012 7:39:40 PM

System specifications, please. Who is the motherboard manufacturer, graphics card manufacturer, etc, you know stuff like that.
m
l
March 31, 2012 8:59:42 PM

Alright, I posted the system specs I could think of, let me know if you need anything else.
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:05:38 PM

did you check your graphic driver and the last bug fix for those games
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:25:45 PM

Checking drivers was the first thing I did, but this has been a problem for a while now, and updating drivers/games doesn't seem to have an impact. Given that the games seem to simply trigger the crashes that then spread to everything else, I don't think it's the games either.
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:50:38 PM

did you check your temp while playing games
m
l
April 1, 2012 9:01:19 PM

Not sure how. I don't have a thermometer installed in the computer, but the heat I feel from the fans doesn't seem to be all that hot.
m
l
April 2, 2012 1:08:17 AM

then use this for your temp it read sensor on the board and graphic even the hdd if it got one that also free http://www.hwinfo.com/
m
l
!