What type of pc to run hd video?

bringback345

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hello,

I'm very computer illiterate so go easy.
I'm using a GoPro 2 and my feeble laptop won't play the HD video properly.
What requirements are needed for a laptop or desktop using windows?
I'm going to have to upgrade soon anyway, I'm looking in the $1000 mark for budget.
Thanks

Hello. First of all, is $1000 including monitor or not? Actually, a pc for $500 or even less could play HD videos without any problems.

Also, are you planning to build the computer yourself? It's really simple, actually, and you also get to choose the quality parts for yourself (as opposed, the pre made PCs usually have cheap and unreliable parts, like power supply), and you also save a lot of money. There are many guides how to do it, and it will take you no longer than 15 minutes of learning. I think it's a good deal considering you'll save 20-30% the costs.

Lastly, what will the computer be used for? Will you play games on it? Or just watch movies and browse internet?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Need to know the current specs of your laptop. If you could provide the make and model, we could probably assist you better.

As far as HD video playback, you don't need much. Any dual-core (not Atom) processor should be able to handle it as well as most any current, discreet graphics card.

-Wolf sends

bringback345

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi,

My current laptop is a Toshiba notebook
Intel (R) core(TM)2DUO CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 1.67 GHz

2.00GB
32 bit OS

Now building a PC....I highly doubt it lol It would be a disaster.
The computer will be just for movies/surfing no games I use my xbox for that
And I would like to do basic editing of my GoPro 2 footage.

I did a test 30 seconds on each of the formats and played them on the laptop but only the wvga? actually played the rest just froze on the screen.

I hope this is enough info for you to start with.

Cheers

bringback345

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Hello

I put the specs in the thread.

Thanks