Sign in with
Your question

New PSU as PC turns off during games

Last response: in Components
July 14, 2012 1:29:19 PM

Hi guys.

I am about to buy a new PSU for my system as I am having problems with my PC turningitself off uring heavy gamig. I have spent alot of time checking temps and seem tat the CPU temps are fine and the GPU are a little hot but nothing serious.

This had led me to believe, with help from the net, that my PSU may not be supplying all the juice I need for the CPU and GPU and all the cooling I have installed.

Easy fix, buy a new PSU. My question is: my GTX 560 has two 4 pin PCI-E power connectors. Can I use a PSU with 6 pin PCI-E power connectors and have them hanging off the ends? Can't seem to find many PSU's with 4 pin PCI-E pow supplies......

Looking at spending around £70 on a new PSU as my last was £40. Any recommendations would be much apprecited.

Thanks

More about : psu turns games

July 14, 2012 1:43:05 PM

Just checked and my current PSU is a 700W one all be it a cheap one
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2012 3:41:19 PM

Your GTX 560 has two 6 pin connectors, Any Good 550 watts or more PSU would be fine for that build.
Related resources
July 14, 2012 3:50:58 PM

hijack72 said:
Hi guys.

Easy fix, buy a new PSU. My question is: my GTX 560 has two 4 pin PCI-E power connectors. Can I use a PSU with 6 pin PCI-E power connectors and have them hanging off the ends? Can't seem to find many PSU's with 4 pin PCI-E pow supplies......

Looking at spending around £70 on a new PSU as my last was £40. Any recommendations would be much apprecited.

Thanks

What make gfx card is it as we expect to see 2x 6 pin connectors and you say 2x 4 pin.

Q
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2012 4:42:18 PM

3way SLi would only take 470~ watts max load + whatever the proc and rest of the system is using, I'd call it fair to say it would top out at around 630w.

And yeah I was ignoring the fact that it didn't have connectors or slots, was just trying to say 750w is way more than enough. :) 

(is there a problem with using molex to pcie connectors that I'm not aware of?)

(its hard to try and salvage a point without sounding standoffish, if I did, sorry.)

Edit: yes, I know, I know, I know, it CAN'T do 3 way SLi, to anyone reading this thread and intending to bash me because it can't do 3way I know that. I was merely stating the fact that it is overkill. (remind me to never create a hypothetical situation ever again.)
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2012 4:45:05 PM

570 is the lowest 3 way SLI they (nvidia) make. (3 X 570 =Overkill)
!