Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Still cannot decide on cards 1 week to go.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2012 6:57:42 PM

Wow, I have been doing research for a month now. I figured I would be settled by now but I am not. First I will give you some details. I am upgrading the vid card, monitor and PSU this time around. Going to stick with my mobo, RAM and CPU for 1 more cycle (year). This box is for gaming 99% of the time and some video conversion here and there. Movies etc.

The PC as it is now, I do not do any overclocking and plan to continue that way.

AMD Phenom II 965BE Deneb 125W
Asus M4A78T-E 790GX
8GB Crucial 25664BA1339 DDR 3
WD 1TB 7200 SATA 3
XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB DD5
Corsair VX550
WIN 7 Home 64 bit

Would like to run games at 1920x1080, I do not play BF3, I do play Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, WoW (most played game) Batman Arkham City, The Witcher 1&2, Dead Space 2, Rift and other new titles. Im going to get a 23-25" monitor with at least the 1920 res. good response time etc. That's not the issue.

I have been on ATI cards for some time. My last Nvidia was a G4 Ti4600. Since then all ATI. The cards I am laboring over the GTX560Ti 448 and the HD6950 and the GTX 570 against the HD6970.

PSU not an issue, This one has enough to run the cards as it has 41V on single +12V. I am going to bump it up though with a bigger Corsair and this one will become my backup PSU.

I am really hot for the GTX 570 mainly because I would like to switch sides and try out Physx etc. I also have heard good things about EVGA which is another draw for me. Not that I have ever had any problems with XFX in fact I have never had a breakdown with there cards and they have performed awesome.

My feelings are I could get by with the 560 or 6950 but I can afford the 570 or 6970 so why not ? I have been reading and looking at benches till my eyes bleed. I have spec's and charts pasted on the wall here. They all trade punches back and forth depending on game and res and AA.

I have also toyed with the idea of x-fire a couple 6850's or 6870's. This motherboard is x-fire only no SLI :/  My inner Geek says this would be fun but if I run into issue's I will not be happy with a single 6850 or 70 when I could have had a bigger single card solution. The other thing about x-fire is WoW my main game does not benefit from it anyway correct ?

I just sit here and go back and forth on want vs need yada yada so here we have the 101st thread this week on the same issue :D  In the end I just wanted to bounce it off some other folks and see what you say if anything. Thank you for your time folks :) 

More about : decide cards week

January 24, 2012 7:30:18 PM

If you really can't wait (until the 7970 is at a normal price available). try the 6950 in crossfire, this will not disappoint you in any way.

But, you only play at a resolution of 1920x1200, which does not even need you to have a crossfire setup, just buy the 6970 or a 6950 and unlock it (which will spare you 50 bucks).
Only if you want to play on very high Anti Aliasing settings, will a crossfire setup be a noticeable difference.

Also be aware that your processor will be on the edge of a bottleneck if you are going for the crossfire.

My bet is that its best for you to go with one 69XX, so you could always upgrade with a second for crossfire if games are not having your desirable frame rate.
Score
Related resources
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 7:50:58 PM

I'd wait on this since the 7000 series and 600 series is arround the corner.

the 7950 or 660 might be very good, if not you would most likely cause some price drops.
Score
January 24, 2012 7:57:42 PM

raymarv said:
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...

Thanks much but I know where they all fall in place. It's more of a question of need vs desire and wallet vs greed at this point, LOL, It's just like when you cannot decide if you want a milkshake or a sundae for your nightly ice cream. I can do pretty much what I want. 580's and 6990's are not needed and to pricey for this go round. I may just take a chance on a dual bios card and see if I can bump it up to 6970 speeds. Worst case then is I get another 6950 later.

I sure would like a GTX 570 though, just cus it's been awhile since I went Nvidia and I want to try some of there features IE, Physx. and here I go again with my dilemma LOL, It is a good dilemma though :pt1cable: 
Score
January 24, 2012 9:23:34 PM

skrendie said:
If you really can't wait (until the 7970 is at a normal price available). try the 6950 in crossfire, this will not disappoint you in any way.

But, you only play at a resolution of 1920x1200, which does not even need you to have a crossfire setup, just buy the 6970 or a 6950 and unlock it (which will spare you 50 bucks).
Only if you want to play on very high Anti Aliasing settings, will a crossfire setup be a noticeable difference.

Also be aware that your processor will be on the edge of a bottleneck if you are going for the crossfire.

My bet is that its best for you to go with one 69XX, so you could always upgrade with a second for crossfire if games are not having your desirable frame rate.

You made me think of an interesting possibility. I get a 6950 with a bios switch. I then try to unlock it. If not I flash the non standard bios via one of the many guides. If it fails I simply flip the switch back to stock bios and run that till I get another 6950 if I want and use the extra cash from not getting the 570 on another toy :lol: 

Crap thats another possibility added to my dilemma :lol: 

So if that's the case I would be looking for a reference card or the and should probably go for the 2GB version. Or do MSI with no switch and run the risk of bricking the card, um yah I probably won't try it on a card with no switch :D 
Score
January 25, 2012 12:59:18 PM

rogbur22 said:
You made me think of an interesting possibility. I get a 6950 with a bios switch. I then try to unlock it. If not I flash the non standard bios via one of the many guides. If it fails I simply flip the switch back to stock bios and run that till I get another 6950 if I want and use the extra cash from not getting the 570 on another toy :lol: 

Crap thats another possibility added to my dilemma :lol: 

So if that's the case I would be looking for a reference card or the and should probably go for the 2GB version. Or do MSI with no switch and run the risk of bricking the card, um yah I probably won't try it on a card with no switch :D 

You could go for the Sapphire Dirt 3 edition 6950 (if it is still available in your country), this one is made with the 6970 bios in the other bios cmos (in almost all of them), this one is made for you to unlock it without even having to flash any bios (don't ask me why). But i read on the internet that you could be unlucky and have to flash it anyway. (although this card is not reference, it will actually work).

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350307

Hope this helps you.

Score
January 25, 2012 1:01:43 PM

You only have to switch the switch and you will have the 6970 if your lucky :p 
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 1:47:40 PM

skrendie said:
You could go for the Sapphire Dirt 3 edition 6950 (if it is still available in your country), this one is made with the 6970 bios in the other bios cmos (in almost all of them), this one is made for you to unlock it without even having to flash any bios (don't ask me why). But i read on the internet that you could be unlucky and have to flash it anyway. (although this card is not reference, it will actually work).

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350307

Hope this helps you.

+1

Who wouldn' want a free copy of dirt 3. Just bought it on steam last week and it cost $50 :(  . It is one damn fun game, especially on 3 monitors. I would keep my decision to the gtx 570 or the 6970 being the fastest of the pack. Also, I can't back it up by I have read on numerous forums that current 6950's have the second BIOS locked so flashing really becomes a risk if you screw it up. I could be wrong but do some extensive research first.

Good luck
Score
January 25, 2012 9:28:58 PM

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong is that as long as I have a card with the switch on it then the worst case be that I have to flash one of the bios. Even if I screw that up I would have the original bios back by just flipping the switch back, correct ?

If that is the case then it's no worries as you could always just revert the switch back to original position that containing the original 6950 bios.

If that's correct there really is no risk as long as it has the switch. Or..............am I totally off base with my thoughts ?

Also yes I was reading some other forums and one fellow claims to have called Sapphire and says they told him this new generation of 6950 cards does not contain the 6970 bios making flashing unavoidable.
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 9:36:13 PM

yes the switch will allow you to do that, but some people still screw up and flash both bios and screw them both up.
Score
January 25, 2012 10:09:12 PM

I really do not worry about flashing to much. I have done countless motherboards, a vid card or 2, firmware on CD/DVD drives etc etc. If I have a backup with the switch system I feel real Good LOL

Now finding one with a switch is the next trick, going by photo's etc it looks like a couple on the egg are still reference boards like the Diamond version but that has gone to "out of stock" status. May have to resort to other means to track one down. One fellow says he called and asked if he was getting a ref board they said yes and shipped him a non LOL. The person on the phone im sure had no idea :D  The Visiontek board used to show a ref board in the picture and has now been updated to a non ref pic. Maybe a lesser volume seller is the ticket.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 9:31:03 AM

rogbur22 said:
My understanding and correct me if I am wrong is that as long as I have a card with the switch on it then the worst case be that I have to flash one of the bios. Even if I screw that up I would have the original bios back by just flipping the switch back, correct ?

If that is the case then it's no worries as you could always just revert the switch back to original position that containing the original 6950 bios.

If that's correct there really is no risk as long as it has the switch. Or..............am I totally off base with my thoughts ?

Also yes I was reading some other forums and one fellow claims to have called Sapphire and says they told him this new generation of 6950 cards does not contain the 6970 bios making flashing unavoidable.

Exactly why I was not passing that off as fact and suggested extensive research first :) 
Score
January 26, 2012 3:53:11 PM

No biggy, always keep the second bios as it was and follow the manual of flashing the card. Search on Google for your type card + unlock, and plenty sites will show up that will bring your card to a 6970 within 20 minutes.
Score
February 2, 2012 12:08:07 AM

Kinda disappointed, waited for the 7950's to arrive and thought they might be closer to 400 than they are. It looks like it's going to be a game time decision as to what I get. It's between the GTX 570 and the HD 6970.

I really really like the 560 Ti 448 cards and where they sit in price and the performance they give. Im not crazy about the lack of any decent drivers for them at the moment though. Of course that will be fixed but I hate the thought of running home with a new card and being underwhelmed.

As far as 6970's go I have kinda developed a crush on this card. It's kinda pricey but I love the idea of the 2nd bios and the performance settings loaded on it already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
February 2, 2012 12:37:00 AM

Also if you go to New Egg and look at the GTX 580's listed there it looks like the first signs of price moving. Up until today the PNY was the least expensive 580 at 499, now the PNY is 474. Some others have now come down to 499 also including ECS, Asus and MSI.

Not a lot of movement but movement none the less !
Score

Best solution

February 2, 2012 1:18:22 AM

I think it's usually better to go with a single card if you can, saves hassle, money, and power.
I would go with a 570 or a 6970. 6970 oc's better (depending on the brand). But the physx on the 570 is really something. I have a 570 and I love it, got it for around 300 bucks too.
February 9, 2012 12:47:51 AM

cpitts1 said:
I think it's usually better to go with a single card if you can, saves hassle, money, and power.
I would go with a 570 or a 6970. 6970 oc's better (depending on the brand). But the physx on the 570 is really something. I have a 570 and I love it, got it for around 300 bucks too.

Well, My new card will be here tomorrow. I got an EVGA GTX 570 and Im very excited for a 52 year old man :D  Picked up a new case also. Wanted something A. Fairly inexpensive B. Painted inside C. Had cable management and looked pretty decent. I got a Xion Predator.

Mind you this is my first trip to Nvidia since I had a Geforce 4 Ti4600 back in the very early part of the century. That is one of the main reasons I went Nvidia in the end. I wanted to try out the other side for awhile and see what I been missing :bounce: 

Thanks everyone for the replys :hello: 

Score
February 9, 2012 12:48:59 AM

Best answer selected by rogbur22.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 9, 2012 4:48:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!