Quantum Fireball vs IBM 60GXP

G

So, 60GXP is finally released, yet I can find no benchmarks! I wonder how it stacks up against Quantum Fireball (which, as far as I understand, is the current best bet among IDE drives).

Leo

G

Found two reviews of the new IBM 60GXP.

One here:

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=ibm60gxp&page=1&mscssid=&tp=

Another one here:

http://storagereview.com/

Personally, I would hold off before rushing off and buying one of these drives, until some user feedback comes in.

In the meantime, look at other drives..i.e. Quantum AS or new Fujitsu - also reviewed at Tom's - link at:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/01q1/010312/

Cheers,

hell out

G

The funny thing with the reviews I found is that the results vary quite a bit. For example, Quantum Fireball AS beats 75GXP at Tom's Hardware (but not compared with 60GXP, unfortunately), but is far behind it at StorageReviews.com.

I'm starting to suspect that the drives are pretty much similar in performance, and what might matter is the rest of the test setup. Maybe, the drive controllers play a major role? Tom's Hardware was using ATA100 controller, while StorageReviews.com was using ATA66. Theoretically, there shouldn't be much difference, since the drives can't break even 45 MB/sec yet. But theory is one thing, and practice is another. :)

Leo

G

Yes test results differ...but in the 'real' world applications, will we really notice?
Other factors may be of greater importance - price; noise level; heat; reliability - these may in fact become the determining factors, not the 'outright' performance.

Cheers,

hell out

randomly

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
I have some of the IBM 60GXP's and they benchmark just about the same as my 75GXP's. Since there are a lot of different parameters to measure such as access time, data rate etc etc you can have different results with different benchmarks that measure or weigh certain aspects more or less than other benchmarks. In just about all respects the 60GXP is very close to the 75GXP. It is however Considerably quieter and the tone of it's noise is much less annoying than the 75GXP's (which aren't all that loud anyway). If you like quiet, get the 60GXP's. I don't think you will be able to notice any performance difference from the 75GXPs.
DO NOT GET THE NEW FUJITSU DRIVES! I have 4 of them currently and they all SUCK. The Fujitsu Drive that Tom reviewed was the MPG3204AH-E and he got pretty good results. HOWEVER THAT'S NOT THE DRIVE YOU WILL GET IF YOU ORDER ONE. All the drives currently in the distribution Channel are MPG3204AH's with no -E revision. These drives are VASTLY slower in access time, about 60% of what an IBM 75GXP is. The drives are very quiet, but the small block access times are Dreadfully slow, up 3 times slower than a 75GXP. If you get an non -E revision drive you are screwed because you can't return it for -E revision. Fujitsu refuses to exchange it for a -E revision and I have tried at length.
All the Technical info of Fujitsu's web site references the -E version, there is no mention that any other version even exists nor do they publish the specs for PoS drive they currently have in the distrubtion channel. I guess they are hoping nobody will notice.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Thanks for the warning!

I see, those reviews like car reviews that are published in different magazines or books. Or even in the same magazine/newspaper but been written by different authors.

Askitis

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2001
Thanks for the warning !
I was seriously thinking for a Fujitsu drive..

Are you saying that most sites advertise for the
MPG3204AH-E but they actually deliver the non (-E) version?