Sign in with
Your question

My PC games keep lagging up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 24, 2012 7:51:50 PM

We have had this PC for about a year and a half, and the specs are somewhat getting old,
Nvidia GeForce 9100M (512MB)
2.8GHz 4Core, Athlon 2x II
6GB Ram
1 TB Hard drive
(Graphics are DDR3)
Yet this was a PC bought from HP at Bestbuy, and for the longest time it was able to run Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, Crysis, Red Alert 3 and alot of others at some really nice frame rates, then the game would drop down to a really bad frame rate, and doesn't stop.
It went away for months and no problems, then it reappeared again (Jan 24 2012) hasn't happened since winter of 2010, I have no clue what the problem is,
A new PC is what I have been wanting for awhile, (Great specs) but please help out with this problem!

More about : games lagging

January 24, 2012 8:25:11 PM

What are the temperatures during gaming and how does the system look inside in terms of dust?
m
l
January 24, 2012 8:40:38 PM

download speccy check the temps, I would update the video driver if you havent done that in a while. Drive fragmentation is possibly an issue I use auslogics defragmenter for that. Let us know what you find.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2012 8:54:50 PM

Fairly sure it's a temperature issue related to dust clogging the heat sinks.

m
l
January 29, 2012 12:26:23 AM

The temperature issue is probably what it is, And I don't quite know how to check the temps, but we do often dust out the fans and boards and such, yet it seems to still happen, I think it could also be the video card stressing out. 512 MB isn't much to run games with good FPS. Tried to convince my parents at the time to get a PC with at least 1GB of video ram and 3.0GHz or above, 6GB ram or 8. But Ill try Speccy
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2012 10:37:49 AM

The video card is really weak. That's probably your bottleneck. However, if it plays fine at first and FPS drops only later, then it's not the graphics card but a temperature problem.
m
l
January 29, 2012 7:56:38 PM

captjack5169 said:
download speccy check the temps, I would update the video driver if you havent done that in a while. Drive fragmentation is possibly an issue I use auslogics defragmenter for that. Let us know what you find.

So I used Speccy, and here are the over all temps without any games running:

============================================
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 45nm -- 138 - 142 F*

Motherboard: Pegatron Corp. Violet6 (CPU 1) -- 121 - 127 F*

Graphics: Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
256MB GeForce 9100 (HP) -- 160 - 178 F* (DXDIAG reports graphics is 512MB in all)
============================================
We haven't dusted out the computer or de-fragmented it yet, but we will let it go over night, check temps and try games on the usual settings.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2012 9:38:23 PM

WOW that's high without any games running. 100% temperature issue. Clean the dust asap!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2012 10:03:30 PM

Why is it reporting temps in Fahrenheit? Hmm anyway let's see, that's roughly 62C on the CPU and 80C on the GPU.

I think the CPU might be the issue. If the heat sink is clean, you may have to pick up some thermal grease (TIM) and reseat the heat sink. AMD CPUs are supposed to run fairly cool, and I have a hard time believing that particular CPU should run that hot.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2012 10:37:50 PM

wolfram23 said:
Why is it reporting temps in Fahrenheit? Hmm anyway let's see, that's roughly 62C on the CPU and 80C on the GPU.

I think the CPU might be the issue. If the heat sink is clean, you may have to pick up some thermal grease (TIM) and reseat the heat sink. AMD CPUs are supposed to run fairly cool, and I have a hard time believing that particular CPU should run that hot.

If you read that again, that's idle temps.. Though those temperatures are adequate for load temperatures, they are way over the limits for the idle temp.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 30, 2012 1:27:43 AM

Oh man, yeah. Wow. Ok, so definitely heat issue lol. Those idle temps are wack, I thought those were load!
m
l
January 31, 2012 6:26:11 PM

I set it to Fahrenheit because 1 I can't read Celsius haha but yes if it is a temperature issue, and if that is a bit high even for idle processes then I really do need to clean it up. Be instead probably just buy a new computer.

m
l
March 21, 2013 7:14:29 AM

the only answer is that your pc has malware. Scan it with malwarebytes anti-malware and delete the objects found. Everything ill b a charm then. Worked for me
m
l
!