Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel i7 3960X hole

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 14, 2012 5:19:47 PM

Hello,

Would anyone know why there's a hole on the top of the Intel i7 3960X chip? Also when you apply thermal paste on the chip would the chip get damaged if thermal paste gets inside the hole? There is no info in the included instruction booklet. Besides I wanted to ask the best computer experts here on Tom's Hardware for advice that would be the most accurate! Thanks!

More about : intel 3960x hole

Best solution

a c 146 à CPUs
July 14, 2012 5:33:07 PM

Icecweam7 said:
Hello,

Would anyone know why there's a hole on the top of the Intel i7 3960X chip? Also when you apply thermal paste on the chip would the chip get damaged if thermal paste gets inside the hole? There is no info in the included instruction booklet. Besides I wanted to ask the best computer experts here on Tom's Hardware for advice that would be the most accurate! Thanks!


It's drilled in the top to let gases escape when they "glue" the IHS to the chip. Intel has said that it is fine if thermal paste get's into the hole. It won't hurt the chip or cause it to short circuit.
Share
July 14, 2012 6:17:24 PM

rds1220 said:
It's drilled in the top to let gases escape when they "glue" the IHS to the chip. Intel has said that it is fine if thermal paste get's into the hole. It won't hurt the chip or cause it to short circuit.



Thank you rds1220! I can continue with my new build! :D 


CPU: Intel i7 3960X Extreme
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 8 Gigs 2400Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 690 Signature Edition
PSU: Cooler Master 1200W Silent Pro 80 Plus Gold
HS/F: Cooler Master TPC-812 2 Vertical Vapor Chambers/6 HS Pipes
Sound Card: Sound Blaster SFX
Case: ICTE Quad Fan Support
HDD: Hitachi 320 Gigs 7200 RPM's
Disc Drive: LG Super Multi DVD RW+
Monitor: Dell 24" Ultra Sharp Flat Panel
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 6:19:22 PM

Thermal paste should be non-electrically conductive to prevent electrical damage to the CPU should a short circuit strike an air cooler's metal. Unless you use some very unsafe paste, it should be safe even if there are electrical contacts exposed within the hole.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
July 14, 2012 6:34:14 PM

Don't forget to pick a best answer so the mods know your question has been answered.
m
0
l
July 14, 2012 6:48:04 PM

Best answer selected by IceCweam7.
m
0
l
July 14, 2012 6:51:08 PM

blazorthon said:
Thermal paste should be non-electrically conductive to prevent electrical damage to the CPU should a short circuit strike an air cooler's metal. Unless you use some very unsafe paste, it should be safe even if there are electrical contacts exposed within the hole.



Thank you for the advice blazorthon!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 6:52:02 PM

Icecweam7 said:
Thank you for the advice blazorthon!


You're welcome.
m
0
l
!