Sign in with
Your question

My new Build.. having problems!

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2012 1:26:55 AM

So i just built a new PC. Here are the specs..

Case - Antec 902
CPU - 2500k (OC'd to 4.3 but stays perfectly cool and have ran lots of tests on Prime95)
CPU Cooler - Hyper 212+
MOBO - AsRock Extreme3 Gen3
Graphics Card - XFX Double Dissipation 6870 (OC'd just a little, but stays perfectly cool and have done burn tests)
RAM - Gskill Low Voltage Sniper Series 8GB
PSU - Corsair Gaming Series 600
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM

When I first hooked up my computer it ran perfectly fine. Everything worked great, and there was no problems. But here is how the problem started..

Recently i wanted to OC my CPU, and i realized after putting my computer together that i put WAY too much Thermal Paste on the CPU. So i took off the Hyper212+ and removed it and my CPU, and using QueTips and Coffee Filters + Alcohol to remove all of the thermal paste. It did a fine job and i got it all off. But i did get a little bit of alcohol on the CPU chip where there was thermal paste, but i did my best to whipe it all up. I then re-applied a BB size of thermal paste on the CPU and hooked it all back up and it worked fine.

But then randomly i restarted it a bit later and the CPU wouldnt boot up. My MOBO read off a bunch of numbers in red and then the computer and all the components would start up but the monitor would say "No Signal" And i eventually got it to work just from restarting it and unplugging the PSU and it eventually booted up. And then i eventually OC'd my processor to 4.3, and GPU now too. But today when i tried to boot up my computer, it did it again. My monitor said no signal and wouldnt show anything? And i noticed my MOBO kept showing a bunch of different numbers on it and it eventually would say "E1" or "A3" and then stop and nothing would show up on the monitor.

I finally got the monitor to show up by holding the reset button on my MOBO and it read off numbers like usually but the monitor showed up.

Why is it doing this randomly? How do i fix it?

More about : build problems

April 1, 2012 3:01:05 AM

Umm...obvious question, but did you reapply the TIM (thermal interface material) after you removed it, or did you only remove the excess ? It doesn't say in your post above.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 4:48:37 AM

Get rid of all the OCs and tell me how stable it appears to be.
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2012 4:52:41 AM

James McKeane said:
Umm...obvious question, but did you reapply the TIM (thermal interface material) after you removed it, or did you only remove the excess ? It doesn't say in your post above.

Yes i re-applied thermal paste. About the size of a BB in the middle of the CPU then placed the cooler on it.
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:54:18 AM

Raiddinn said:
Get rid of all the OCs and tell me how stable it appears to be.

Okay, i will try. The thing is, it only does this once in a blue moon. When i tried to bump the CPU up to 4.5 and i changed the offset voltage slightly, it wouldnt boot up and it seemed to do the same thing that im having problems with. Once i bumped it back down to my 4.3 OC it booted fine. (this was the other day) so it could be because of the CPU overclock maybe.

Is it possible for a CPU overclock to boot up and be stable at one point, and then not be stable at another point and not boot up correctly? Cuz ive got a 4.3 OC on like 1.24V
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:01:37 AM

These aren't the overclocker's forums we are in now, so the people in here don't tend to be experts on OCing. If you have a question specifically about OCing, its best to ask it there.

However, I have experience supporting quite a few people who OC and I can say unequivocally that OCing decreases stability the more you do it. Every extra 0.1 GHZ you ask out of the processor it gets some small amount more unstable.

Going from 4.3 to 4.5 GHZ could be the straw on the camel's back very easily, according to my knowledge.

On a separate note, do you really use all this OCing, or are you just adding more GHZ to add more GHZ?
m
l
April 1, 2012 5:17:19 AM

Raiddinn said:
These aren't the overclocker's forums we are in now, so the people in here don't tend to be experts on OCing. If you have a question specifically about OCing, its best to ask it there.

However, I have experience supporting quite a few people who OC and I can say unequivocally that OCing decreases stability the more you do it. Every extra 0.1 GHZ you ask out of the processor it gets some small amount more unstable.

Going from 4.3 to 4.5 GHZ could be the straw on the camel's back very easily, according to my knowledge.

On a separate note, do you really use all this OCing, or are you just adding more GHZ to add more GHZ?

Well i do a ton of hardcore gaming and i like to have my graphics settings set to the max, and i play a lot of online games as well. So that is why I OC'd.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:21:20 AM

6870 isnt the kinda card that is gonna max a lot of stuff. Shoulda bought a better GPU and not have to OC it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:23:05 AM

Have you experienced FPS gains through OCing that high?

I would think that your 6870 would be the limiting factor in performance in most all the games instead of a 4.3 GHZ OCd 2500k.

I would think you wouldn't even get 1 more FPS in most games going from 4.3 to 4.5 GHZ.

- Edit - Typo
m
l
April 1, 2012 5:26:44 AM

vrumor said:
6870 isnt the kinda card that is gonna max a lot of stuff. Shoulda bought a better GPU and not have to OC it.

That is what i planned to do.. but not everyone has the money to. >.>

m
l
April 1, 2012 5:27:34 AM

Raiddinn said:
Have you experienced FPS gains through OCing that high?

I would think that your 6870 would be the limiting factor in performance in most all the games instead of a 4.3 GHZ OCd 2500k.

I would think you wouldn't even get 1 more FPS in most games going from 4.3 to 4.5 GHZ.

- Edit - Typo

I didnt do much testing at stock 2500k, i should try sometime and see the difference. But im not going to 4.5 im going to keep the OC at 4.3
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 5:48:26 AM

Well I do appreciate that fact that not everyone can afford it. However, be realistic when buying lower end stuff, sometimes, doesnt matter what you do, you arent gonna get the performance you want at that price point. Not trying to be a jerk, but a lot of people post here with unrealistic goals for their current hardware.
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:08:54 AM

I have a 2600K and used to use a 6870 1GB. Didn't see any real world difference in gaming between 3.8 and 4.2GHz. I'm with these guys, leave it at stock and see if you have issues.

BTW I've cleaned hundreds of chips with alcohol, never caused any issues even if it wasn't totally dry.
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:38:46 AM

vrumor said:
Well I do appreciate that fact that not everyone can afford it. However, be realistic when buying lower end stuff, sometimes, doesnt matter what you do, you arent gonna get the performance you want at that price point. Not trying to be a jerk, but a lot of people post here with unrealistic goals for their current hardware.

I know i totally understand what you're saying. I know i wont be able to max all games. But it does for now until i get the money to buy a better GPU. Also.. any suggestions on a GPU? (im only 16 is why i dont got a ton of cash and i just started my first job about a week ago, so im saving for a new monitor right now.. then a new GPU afterwards) Im looking to not spend over $500 on a GPU. Also.. any PSU suggestions to power a new GPU? Thanks for the help man.
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:40:30 AM

vic20 said:
I have a 2600K and used to use a 6870 1GB. Didn't see any real world difference in gaming between 3.8 and 4.2GHz. I'm with these guys, leave it at stock and see if you have issues.

BTW I've cleaned hundreds of chips with alcohol, never caused any issues even if it wasn't totally dry.

Alright i am very happy to hear that. I was afraid i damaged the CPU or something.

But this is wierd.. cuz ive messed with my BIOS a few times now and restarted my PC just fine.. and it works great. Everything runs fine and is stable. It only does this randomly and not too often.. where the monitor says "No Signal"

I dont get it..
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2012 6:44:13 AM

I know its probably not the problem, but double check that you have the cables plugged in tightly on both ends.

If one end comes a little bit loose, it can cause problems that only happen sometimes.

You always want to try to rule out a bad physical connection early on if you can. It would suck to troubleshoot for 50 hours to figure out you only had to push in the cable a little harder the whole time.

If the video card and monitor accept 2 kinds of cables, you might want to try whichever one you aren't using right now too.
m
l
!