Sign in with
Your question

Seeking advice on gaming build. [800-1000$]

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2012 1:58:16 AM

Okay I'm going to save some serious cash up during April and hopefully by early May I will be able to purchase a new system, my current one is at the end of its life span.

I'm hoping I'll have 1000$+ to spend, but emergencies/bad decisions happen, so I'm anticipating at worst I'll have 800 to spend.

Approximate Purchase Date: (First week of May)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 800-1000) Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming and Fraps recording)

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com -- only --)

Parts Preferences: Intel 2500K is a must have. I don't really like MSI so no MSI products please.

Overclocking: Maybe? I'll only ever overclock via software interfaces.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe? I wouldn't want to build around it, but in the future having it as an option would be nice.

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080)

Additional Comments: This is the first build I've came up with. I've never built a computer before, but I'll be working with my friend who has experience, so if I do get in over my head I'm a phone call away from help. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6jde. I realize I went 33$ over my own budget, but I'm going to try and shave some cash off of it. For example, I think I'm over paying on my GPU.

The games I mainly play are Skyrim, Mass Effect 3(hope they fix the ending!) and Tribes: Ascend.
April 1, 2012 2:26:46 AM

Nice build. The only thing I would consider is getting a 7850 instead of the 560 ti 488.
The 560 ti 488 core might have a few advantages, but with the 7850 you get more vram which should help with the textures in Skyrim.

Also, by the time you decide to purchase it, the price on the 7850 should drop ~$20 or so.
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:04:14 AM

if price drops i do suggest a 7850 or stick with gtx560ti 448. hopefully price drops more for your budget.

btw for some reason I can't view that link you put up there.

look at asus/evga gpu for nvidia
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2012 3:05:36 AM

Ivy Bridge is supposed to release later this month. Why not get the latest and greatest?
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:06:06 AM

Tavo_Nova said:
btw for some reason I can't view that link you put up there.
Remove the period. :p 
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:06:33 AM

gary1 said:
Ivy Bridge is supposed to release later this month. Why not get the latest and greatest?

For gaming, no, it is not the greatest.
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:17:16 AM

So you're saying Ivy will be a step down.
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:18:00 AM

I am saying it will be the same.
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:22:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. I made some tweaks to the build to shave off 100$. Here is the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6jnn

GPU changed from 560TI 448 to 7850

HDD changed from Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive to a Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive. 1TB is too much space for me. I have a ton of external HDD laying around for media and older games to run off of. I play a lot of 2D throwbacks that run fine off of it. Plus I want to try and get a SSD down the line somewhere so that is even more space I plan on adding. 320GB is more than enough and it is cheap too. Both have the same 32MB cache too IIRC.

I changed the RAM from 1600 Corsair Vengeance 8GB to G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1333

Antec 650W ATX12V Power Supply in exchange for the Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply I had chosen. I figure 650 is enough for me since SLI really isn't a must have for me, and I really never ever have top market cards.

I've tried to avoid purchasing OEM parts since as I understand they don't come with all the required parts?
m
l
April 1, 2012 3:36:36 AM

That is correct, except for Optical Drives. The mobo comes with enough cables for 1 or 2 hdds and 1 optical drive.
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:16:24 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Also do you think I could go cheaper on the Mobo? I understand SATA 6GBs is pretty important if you want to use a SSD down the line. However the mobo I selected appears to be an overclock mobo with sli/xfire features. I don't plan on doing either of those. I'll probably never overclock anything significantly maybe minor tweaks in a software interface at the most.

So I was looking at something cheaper
(ASRock H67M (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It appears to be sorta future proof and is much cheaper, or am I missing something? Is the 40$-ish I save worth downgrading?
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:20:10 AM

mATX is a limiting factor in future-proofing. It won't be expandable. I suggest ATX.
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:33:01 AM

It will last a few years, but future proofing is impossible.
m
l
April 1, 2012 4:37:30 AM

keep checking on new egg's open box items, i find 448 cores for $150 on there from time to time. i've seen a 580 on there for $200 too. especially if you got time to buy a card.
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:56:44 AM

Hope this isn't against forum rules, but bump. Here is the latest build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6jx9

I feel pretty good about the build in terms of power and price. But more ideas are always welcomed.
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:58:59 AM

Nope, because you didn't post before this post. :p 
m
l
April 2, 2012 3:20:41 AM

_strive_ said:
Hope this isn't against forum rules, but bump. Here is the latest build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6jx9

I feel pretty good about the build in terms of power and price. But more ideas are always welcomed.

Just a few small things. 1) someone needs to check on your PSU. Either it's a great deal, or it's not very well made. I haven't heard a lot about Antec. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I don't know anything about it.
2) For about $9 more, step up to some DDR3-1600 RAM. Most will tell you it doesn't noticeably improve performance, but since you're playing Skryim (which loads the entire map beforehand, from what I've heard), it WILL make the loading time before the game less. 1600 is the sweet spot for the i5-2500k, as well.
3) I saw you saying something about a non-mid ATX mobo. I think that's fine, but I would recommend a Z68 chipset instead of a P67. The Z68 is newer (and better, duh ;)  ), and I think is more "future-proof".

That's all I've got. Oh, and don't forget to buy some thermal paste if you're going to overclock!
m
l
April 2, 2012 3:27:05 AM

Antec stopped having Seasonic manufacture their PSUs a few years ago, apart from the EA series.
m
l
April 2, 2012 3:43:10 AM

Quote:
Just a few small things. 1) someone needs to check on your PSU. Either it's a great deal, or it's not very well made. I haven't heard a lot about Antec. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I don't know anything about it.

It is pretty well received on Newegg. There are some 1 egg reviews but they're mainly DOA reviews you see on almost every part.

The PSU isn't modular and doesn't come with a power cable seem to be the common knocks against it. I might go back to the Corsair 750 TX, but that seems like overkill if I plan on only using one card. However Corsair PSU are class, and I've used them in my last two computers and each lasted over five years.
m
l
April 2, 2012 3:45:43 AM

If only another forums had the same thoughts as me when it comes to PSU power. :lol: 
m
l
!