Sign in with
Your question

Argh - wifi on laptop keeps cutting out and resetting connection

Last response: in Systems
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
April 1, 2012 2:08:45 AM

Is it a problem with my router or is it a problem with my laptop's internal wifi card? My laptop is well over 2 years old and I've already lost the battery and had to replace it and now I think the Wifi is going - should I get a cheap micro USB 2.0 one and that will give it a boost?
April 1, 2012 2:16:34 AM

I had a Gateway NV79 with a cheapo run of the mill atheros AR5B93 card. this use to happen to me once in a while. I can't be completely sure what the problem is. Once, i junked my belkin router for a WRT54GL running DDWRT and that seem to solve the problem. Later, it started happening again. I started deleting previous/unused wireless profiles (control panel/network and sharing center/manage wireless networks), and i also went into device manager set the card to turn off when the system went on standby/sleep. It hasn't happened to me in 5 months. That's not to say it won't happen again. Its a really annoying problem.

PS: i also had it happen and it turned out that the wrt54gl had gotten screwed up somehow and had to keep resetting the router and wireless network. oh, and it could also be interference. yeah...it one of those problems.

PSS: this also happen to me (ok this is the last one) after my computer got infected with a trojan and the settings got screwed somehow.
April 1, 2012 4:27:33 AM

That happened to me with my old HP PAvilion and it turn out to be the firmwares to be outdate is usually common. I will ask you what router and wireless adapter do you have? And does this happen with any other computer on the house?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
April 1, 2012 5:40:18 AM

alexisd9025 said:
That happened to me with my old HP PAvilion and it turn out to be the firmwares to be outdate is usually common. I will ask you what router and wireless adapter do you have? And does this happen with any other computer on the house?

The router I have is a Gen 2 Apple Airport and there's at least 3 laptops connected to the network at all times plus 2 desktops, I haven't encountered this problem on any other computer yet. The Wifi card I have is whatever's built into my laptop. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A500.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2012 6:52:39 AM

I had a laptop one time that had a similar problem.

It had to do with a setting in the computer. One of the services (services.msc) called Wireless Zero Auto Config. When that was set to Auto, my connection dropped like every 30 seconds and every time I loaded a webpage.

When I set it to manual (or off, I don't remember which), it never dropped ever.

Something about the wireless software built into XP not being written very well.

I don't know what you are using, but its worth looking into. It shouldn't take long to find this setting and change it to see if anything happens and it costs $0.

- Edit - Come to think of it, I think I had to set it to Auto for it to connect the first time and then every time after it connected I had to manually turn it off again. It was a pain in the A@@ and I am so glad I don't have that laptop anymore. It was a very effective fix, though. With that service on off it never tried to re-negotiate the connection in the middle of usage.
a b D Laptop
April 1, 2012 7:07:18 AM

Quote:
It had to do with a setting in the computer. One of the services (services.msc) called Wireless Zero Auto Config. When that was set to Auto, my connection dropped like every 30 seconds and every time I loaded a webpage.

Ah OK I should try that then. For some reason it keeps picking up the signal from my neighbor's wifi connections and then dropping mine.
April 1, 2012 7:09:58 AM

Ok have you try deleting all the wireless key profiles you have and reenter the key,trying to update the wireless driver?have you try connecting directly in front of it to see if it might be a problem of interference? In the mean time im gonna research a little bit about the Gen2 Apple Aiport and your wirless adapter because im unfamiliar with it.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2012 7:32:32 AM

My laptop causes the work router's wireless to crash :p  It can sometimes be a hassle to debug these.
April 1, 2012 10:37:06 AM

Yes oh okay now that you say that then it might be that your neighbor and you are running your router at the same channel? So its probable that your laptop is doping yours for his?
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2012 2:20:28 PM

The wireless stuff built into XP just isn't very good. I am going to go out on a limb and assume it is an XP PC for that reason.

Back in the XP days, it was suggested often that people use whatever wireless software came with their network card because of how unreliable the XP wireless software was.

A lot of people still used the built in Windows stuff because it avoids having to do a separate install and the drivers in Windows still did pretty well finding and connecting to networks, but the downside was that it was less reliable after you were already connected.
a b D Laptop
April 1, 2012 11:58:55 PM

alexisd9025 said:
Ok have you try deleting all the wireless key profiles you have and reenter the key,trying to update the wireless driver?have you try connecting directly in front of it to see if it might be a problem of interference? In the mean time im gonna research a little bit about the Gen2 Apple Aiport and your wirless adapter because im unfamiliar with it.

This is the router I'm using: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD031LL/A/AirPort-Ext...

Even though I've been anti-Apple as of late I really like their Wifi routers because they're far easier to setup than anything from Linksys or Netgear.

Quote:
Back in the XP days, it was suggested often that people use whatever wireless software came with their network card because of how unreliable the XP wireless software was.

Yeah trying to configure wifi on Windows XP was unbelievably frustrating, it's much easier in Windows 7.

Quote:
Yes oh okay now that you say that then it might be that your neighbor and you are running your router at the same channel? So its probable that your laptop is doping yours for his?

Yeah it picks up my neighbor's routers and surprisingly it picks up a router from the other side of the street.
October 29, 2012 12:25:23 PM

Helloo .. I had the same problem.. and thats why am here :D 

So as one of my friend here advised, I went to WLAN auto config (Service provided by the OS). Turning it to manual will turn off the automatic WIFI network discovery and it only done manually. Then how to solve OUR problem or How did I solved it (I think am solved it, the restarting never happened after that)...Go to Services-->WLAN Auticonfig-->Right click and select Properties--->Click on Recovery-->There you can see First Failure, Second failure etc. Just change that setting to "Take No action" from "Restart the service".

I know am too late for the guy who posted this, But sometimes it might help some new guy.

Bye n thanks for the Help :) 
January 3, 2014 3:04:37 AM

praveen92 said:

I know am too late for the guy who posted this, But sometimes it might help some new guy.

Bye n thanks for the Help :) 

For me you were just in time, in fact two years in advance! Big thanks, don't even know if you stil sees something from this, but you saved me!
!