Restart as a Desktop Icon.

I have 'shutdown' as a desktop icon (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t
00), but I need 'restart' also. Used to have, but seem to have lost it.
Appreciate a post
Dan
8 answers Last reply
More about restart desktop icon

    Hi,

    Make a shortcut with this in the command line:

    shutdown.exe -r -t 00

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Dan" <spddmm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have 'shutdown' as a desktop icon (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t
    >00), but I need 'restart' also. Used to have, but seem to have lost it.
    >Appreciate a post
    > Dan

    Get shutdown.exe here

    http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm

    "Dan" <spddmm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have 'shutdown' as a desktop icon
    (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t
    > 00), but I need 'restart' also. Used to have, but seem to have lost it.
    > Appreciate a post
    > Dan

    Hi Dan,

    Follow the same process but use: shutdown -r -t 0

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "cookoonest" <cookoonest@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Get shutdown.exe here
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm
    >

    > "Dan" <spddmm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have 'shutdown' as a desktop icon
    > (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t
    >> 00), but I need 'restart' also. Used to have, but seem to have lost it.
    >> Appreciate a post
    >> Dan

    ok......find an icon on your desktop........
    now........right click on desktop....and go.....paste

    right click the icon.....and go .....rename.....call it......shutdown

    right click the icon......and go to properties

    you see the box that says......target ?

    copy this line into that box......

    %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

    now.....just under that......

    start in .......

    copy this to that box

    %windir%

    3 buttons at the botton.......

    click on.....change icon......pick one that you like and will remember

    apply.....then ......ok

    the same applies for a restart button, just change the target coding to:

    %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

    there ya go

    Josev

    "cookoonest" <cookoonest@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Get shutdown.exe here
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm
    >

    > "Dan" <spddmm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have 'shutdown' as a desktop icon
    > (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t
    >> 00), but I need 'restart' also. Used to have, but seem to have lost it.
    >> Appreciate a post
    >> Dan

    is there a way to do this to lock the computer, at work i have to lock my
    desktop for security due to my user rights on the network as a tech.

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Follow the same process but use: shutdown -r -t 0
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "cookoonest" <cookoonest@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Get shutdown.exe here
    >>
    >> http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm
    >>

    >> "Dan" <spddmm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have 'shutdown' as a desktop icon
    >> (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t
    >>> 00), but I need 'restart' also. Used to have, but seem to have lost it.
    >>> Appreciate a post
    >>> Dan

    Hi Kenneth,

    Create a shortcut with the following as the command:

    "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

    --

    "Kenneth Bandoly" <kbandoly@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    > is there a way to do this to lock the computer, at work i have to lock my
    > desktop for security due to my user rights on the network as a tech.

    >> Hi Dan,
    >>
    >> Follow the same process but use: shutdown -r -t 0
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "cookoonest" <cookoonest@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Get shutdown.exe here
    >>>
    >>> http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Dan" <spddmm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> (%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t

    thanks, this will come in very handy at work... who knows we may put this on
    every user's desktop!

    thanks,
    Ken

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Kenneth,
    >
    > Create a shortcut with the following as the command:
    >
    > "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Kenneth Bandoly" <kbandoly@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> is there a way to do this to lock the computer, at work i have to lock my
    >> desktop for security due to my user rights on the network as a tech.
    >>

    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Dan,
    >>>
    >>> Follow the same process but use: shutdown -r -t 0
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    >>> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>
    >>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>>

    >>> "cookoonest" <cookoonest@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    You are welcome ! I hope this helps out you and other users in your workplace.

    --

    "news.microsoft.com" <roshi229@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > thanks, this will come in very handy at work... who knows we may put this on every user's desktop!
    >
    > thanks,
    > Ken
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uiIerD2vEHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi Kenneth,
    >>
    >> Create a shortcut with the following as the command:
    >>
    >> "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Kenneth Bandoly" <kbandoly@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> is there a way to do this to lock the computer, at work i have to lock my desktop for security
    >>> due to my user rights on the network as a tech.

Configuration Desktops Shutdown Customization Microsoft Windows XP