Any idea when a 8MP Nikon dSLR will emerge?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 13, 2005 6:35:43 PM

I, like I'm sure alot of others are curious when Nikon will come out
with a camera to compete with the Canon Rebel XT. I'd say the D70 does
compete, but the Rebel is 8MP and the D70 is 6MP. Obviously those
resolutions aren't way off, but everything being equal (both cameras
having good lenses, etc), the 8MP will be able to create a larger
picture, it is newer technology, etc. That's not to say I need that
extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP, 6MP was great when the D70
came out, but now it's atleast a year or two later, and 6MP is not all
that awesome anymore.

I expect Nikon will release their D200 (or whatever replaces the D100)
later this year, and that's all fine and good for that level of camera,
but it'll be another year probably before that same sensor/technology
makes it's way to the lower level (i.e. D70, maybe D80 camera?). Just
want to speed that process up some...
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:33:13 PM

What would be cool for Nikon, and allow them to actually get ahead of
Canon in the digital SLR race for a change, would be to skip 8 Mpix and
go straight to the 12 Mpix sensor used in the D2x. Since they are both
1.5x sensors it would be a nice fit, though I'm sure there are other
issues with the surrounding electronics that might make it a bit tough
to support 12 Mpix in an entry level camera price point. But if they
could do it they would rock Canon's world for a while.

Bill (Canon user)
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:41:46 PM

<fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I, like I'm sure alot of others are curious when Nikon will come out
> with a camera to compete with the Canon Rebel XT. I'd say the D70 does
> compete, but the Rebel is 8MP and the D70 is 6MP. Obviously those
> resolutions aren't way off, but everything being equal (both cameras
> having good lenses, etc), the 8MP will be able to create a larger
> picture, it is newer technology, etc. That's not to say I need that
> extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
> the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP, 6MP was great when the D70
> came out, but now it's atleast a year or two later, and 6MP is not all
> that awesome anymore.
>
> I expect Nikon will release their D200 (or whatever replaces the D100)
> later this year, and that's all fine and good for that level of camera,
> but it'll be another year probably before that same sensor/technology
> makes it's way to the lower level (i.e. D70, maybe D80 camera?). Just
> want to speed that process up some...

I'd be willing to bet that Nikon's next DSLR won't be 8mp, but something
higher, 10-12, to leapfrog Canon, rather than to match. Not unlike the D2x
at 12mp, higher than the 1D mkII.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

<fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I, like I'm sure alot of others are curious when Nikon will come out
> with a camera to compete with the Canon Rebel XT. I'd say the D70 does
> compete, but the Rebel is 8MP and the D70 is 6MP. Obviously those
> resolutions aren't way off, but everything being equal (both cameras
> having good lenses, etc), the 8MP will be able to create a larger
> picture, it is newer technology, etc. That's not to say I need that
> extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
> the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP, 6MP was great when the D70
> came out, but now it's atleast a year or two later, and 6MP is not all
> that awesome anymore.

There isn't really that much difference between 6.1 and 8 megapixels. Just
marketing hype. What is the real difference in size about 14%. The AF-S
Nikkor 18~70 kit lens can probably edge out the EF-S 18~55. I suppose the
EF-S 17~85 IS can edge out the Nikkor, but that adds $800 CDN to the XT. So
they can compete. When the D50 and the Pentax *ist DL arrives the XT sales
will drop off to prove consumers are shopping price.

The D70s has increased the file write speed and metering algorithms, and has
a more solid feel. When I show the three cameras (D70s,*ist DS, XT) 75% of
the time I'll end up selling the D70s. Many times the *ist DS will get the
sale. On the sales floor, not everyone has their minds made up. If they
already have a lens selection that is often the criteria. In our shop we
don't push a product based on the spiff program that all the makers have.
The people on the floor don't even see the spiff program, it is managed by
the bookkeeper.
June 13, 2005 11:37:32 PM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> What would be cool for Nikon, and allow them to actually get ahead of
> Canon in the digital SLR race for a change, would be to skip 8 Mpix and
> go straight to the 12 Mpix sensor used in the D2x. Since they are both
> 1.5x sensors it would be a nice fit, though I'm sure there are other
> issues with the surrounding electronics that might make it a bit tough
> to support 12 Mpix in an entry level camera price point. But if they
> could do it they would rock Canon's world for a while.
>
> Bill (Canon user)

My guess is the D100 replacement will be a new version of the LBCAST
(lateral buried charge accumulator and sensing transistor array) sensor,
similar to the D2X. I would think it won't be switchable from 12 to 6
megapixels. As Nikon tends not to rush a product to market expect to see the
D200 to be a robust well tested product with the same look and feel as the
D100. In fact I suspect there are already D200 betas out in the field right
now being shaken down.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:51:40 PM

Nikon doesn't manufacture an 8MP sensor, and, as far as I know, neither does
Sony or Kodak. So without a source for a sensor of sufficiently high
quality, that camera won't appear. As other posters have stated, Nikon could
introduce a high-end consumer camera with the D2X sensor. But, they may pass
since it would canabalize their D2X sales. Whatever they do, though, they
should drop that incredibly stupid encryption on the RAW file white balance.
This was an amazingly stupid move.

<fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I, like I'm sure alot of others are curious when Nikon will come out
> with a camera to compete with the Canon Rebel XT. I'd say the D70 does
> compete, but the Rebel is 8MP and the D70 is 6MP. Obviously those
> resolutions aren't way off, but everything being equal (both cameras
> having good lenses, etc), the 8MP will be able to create a larger
> picture, it is newer technology, etc. That's not to say I need that
> extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
> the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP, 6MP was great when the D70
> came out, but now it's atleast a year or two later, and 6MP is not all
> that awesome anymore.
>
> I expect Nikon will release their D200 (or whatever replaces the D100)
> later this year, and that's all fine and good for that level of camera,
> but it'll be another year probably before that same sensor/technology
> makes it's way to the lower level (i.e. D70, maybe D80 camera?). Just
> want to speed that process up some...

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:48:40 AM

Hopfully it will have lockup problems, no working flash, and poor battery
grip as the Canon had, also it must have Banding in the picture to be a
Canon.

news:p Bqre.116$X71.1@fed1read07...
> <fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I, like I'm sure alot of others are curious when Nikon will come out
>> with a camera to compete with the Canon Rebel XT. I'd say the D70 does
>> compete, but the Rebel is 8MP and the D70 is 6MP. Obviously those
>> resolutions aren't way off, but everything being equal (both cameras
>> having good lenses, etc), the 8MP will be able to create a larger
>> picture, it is newer technology, etc. That's not to say I need that
>> extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
>> the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP, 6MP was great when the D70
>> came out, but now it's atleast a year or two later, and 6MP is not all
>> that awesome anymore.
>>
>> I expect Nikon will release their D200 (or whatever replaces the D100)
>> later this year, and that's all fine and good for that level of camera,
>> but it'll be another year probably before that same sensor/technology
>> makes it's way to the lower level (i.e. D70, maybe D80 camera?). Just
>> want to speed that process up some...
>>

> I'd be willing to bet that Nikon's next DSLR won't be 8mp, but something
> higher, 10-12, to leapfrog Canon, rather than to match. Not unlike the
> D2x at 12mp, higher than the 1D mkII.
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:19:18 AM

<fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote That's not to say I need that
extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP

I think you're right in feeling like this. The extra 2MPs don't make much
difference overall but everything else being equal, as with Canon and Nikon
(arguably), they do allow greater room for cropping.

I think Nikon made a marketing mistake in not upgrading the D70S to 8MP.
The marketplace, like it or not, thinks that the more MPs the better and I'd
hazard a guess that the EOS 350D will shift more units than the D70S as a
result.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a good 8MP camera now so that when the next
generation of 10 or 12 MP cameras come on the scene in a year or so I won't
feel as deprived as I would with a 6MP model like the D70S.

Which is why, amongst other reasons, I have ordered a 20D. I just couldn't
be bothered waiting for Nikon to catch up.

Regards,

Carrigman
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:35:27 AM

"carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 8l0p4$q8p$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> <fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote That's not to say I need that
> extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
> the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP
>
> I think you're right in feeling like this. The extra 2MPs don't make much
> difference overall but everything else being equal, as with Canon and
> Nikon (arguably), they do allow greater room for cropping.
>
> I think Nikon made a marketing mistake in not upgrading the D70S to 8MP.
> The marketplace, like it or not, thinks that the more MPs the better and
> I'd hazard a guess that the EOS 350D will shift more units than the D70S
> as a result.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to have a good 8MP camera now so that when the next
> generation of 10 or 12 MP cameras come on the scene in a year or so I
> won't feel as deprived as I would with a 6MP model like the D70S.
>
> Which is why, amongst other reasons, I have ordered a 20D. I just couldn't
> be bothered waiting for Nikon to catch up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carrigman

Catch up, why not a D2x? 12.4MP now.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:47:57 PM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:

> My guess is the D100 replacement will be a new version of the LBCAST
> (lateral buried charge accumulator and sensing transistor array) sensor,
> similar to the D2X. I would think it won't be switchable from 12 to 6
> megapixels. As Nikon tends not to rush a product to market expect to see
> the D200 to be a robust well tested product with the same look and feel as
> the D100. In fact I suspect there are already D200 betas out in the field
> right now being shaken down.

You are expecting things to happen even sooner than I: I'm not expecting a
D200 until next year, since I'd expect that Nikon/Sony would want to bleed
the high end dry before introducing a low end with the same performance.
Still, the D200 would presumably have a much lower frame rate than the D2x,
so the pros (who like fast heavy cameras) wouldn't be all that interested.

The other question is what is the fine print in the Nikon/Sony contract? Was
Nikon able to get an exclusive use clause, or will a 12MP Pentax appear soon
as well.

I wonder if Canon has a 12MP 1.6x sensor in the works or if they completely
missed it. I'd be surprised if they had not been expecting 12MP. The
question is how will they respond...

I've been saying "next year is going to be fun", but maybe that should be
"the next year is going to be fun"<g>.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
June 14, 2005 1:47:58 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D 8l9dl$57t$1@nnrp.gol.com...

> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:
>
>> My guess is the D100 replacement will be a new version of the LBCAST
>> (lateral buried charge accumulator and sensing transistor array) sensor,
>> similar to the D2X. I would think it won't be switchable from 12 to 6
>> megapixels. As Nikon tends not to rush a product to market expect to see
>> the D200 to be a robust well tested product with the same look and feel
>> as the D100. In fact I suspect there are already D200 betas out in the
>> field right now being shaken down.
>
> You are expecting things to happen even sooner than I: I'm not expecting a
> D200 until next year, since I'd expect that Nikon/Sony would want to bleed
> the high end dry before introducing a low end with the same performance.
> Still, the D200 would presumably have a much lower frame rate than the
> D2x, so the pros (who like fast heavy cameras) wouldn't be all that
> interested.

I would think 2006 as well, but maybe a fall announcement with spring
delivery like they did with the D70.

> The other question is what is the fine print in the Nikon/Sony contract?
> Was Nikon able to get an exclusive use clause, or will a 12MP Pentax
> appear soon as well.

Probably exclusive on the LBCAST, as I understand it was a Nikon R&D project
with Sony doing the fab. Pentax may go with a 10 megapixel Sony CCD.

> I wonder if Canon has a 12MP 1.6x sensor in the works or if they
> completely missed it. I'd be surprised if they had not been expecting
> 12MP. The question is how will they respond...

Canon will probably skip 12 and go to 16 megapixel, presuming their CMOS can
do that density in a APS-C chip. I doubt

> I've been saying "next year is going to be fun", but maybe that should be
> "the next year is going to be fun"<g>.

Wait until PhotoKina 2006. That will be fun!

> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

June 14, 2005 2:29:43 PM

At a guess, it won't.
Nikon has sold a lot of D70 cameras. 6 to 8mp is no incentive for
existing users to "upgrade" (For a D70 owner, the money would be better
spent elsewhere).
A 12mp sensor might be reason to upgrade.
June 14, 2005 4:23:39 PM

TAFKAB wrote:
>Whatever they do, though, they
> should drop that incredibly stupid encryption on the RAW file white balance.
> This was an amazingly stupid move.

Don't pick on Nikon withour also picking on Canon - they are equally
culpable. The "sensational" revelation about the D2x ignored an
important point - Canon do it too.

"Meanwhile, Canon and Nikon continue to ignore the needs of today's
photographers and tomorrow's historians by providing neither
documentation nor human-readable code for their "secret" formats. My
unpaid, often arduous work aims to correct this error, ensuring that the
photographs of our time will always be viewable, on any computer running
any operating system."
(Quote from Dave Coffin)
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:23:40 PM

In article <1118708558.689335@ftpsrv1>,
Frederick <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:
>TAFKAB wrote:
>>Whatever they do, though, they
>> should drop that incredibly stupid encryption on the RAW file white balance.
>> This was an amazingly stupid move.
>
>Don't pick on Nikon withour also picking on Canon - they are equally
>culpable. The "sensational" revelation about the D2x ignored an
>important point - Canon do it too.
>
>"Meanwhile, Canon and Nikon continue to ignore the needs of today's
>photographers and tomorrow's historians by providing neither
>documentation nor human-readable code for their "secret" formats. My
>unpaid, often arduous work aims to correct this error, ensuring that the
>photographs of our time will always be viewable, on any computer running
>any operating system."
>(Quote from Dave Coffin)

The thing is, Nikon is the only one who ran into trouble with Adobe. And then
they issued a press release that strongly suggests that they don't understand
what is going on.

I don't know how Canon communicates with Adobe. From the code in dcraw.c
I got the impression that Canon encrypted some data in low end models. And
doesn't use encryption in current DSLRs.

Anyhow. The new rule is probably going to be: do not order a new DSLR until
you certain that your favorite RAW converter can handle its RAW format.

June 14, 2005 5:48:01 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D 8l9dl$57t$1@nnrp.gol.com...
SNIP
> I wonder if Canon has a 12MP 1.6x sensor in the works or if they
> completely missed it. I'd be surprised if they had not been
> expecting 12MP. The question is how will they respond...

Rumor has it that we can expect something 3rd week of August.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&m...
Of course rumors are just that, rumors.

Bart
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:24:13 PM

"Frederick" <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote in message
> TAFKAB wrote:
>>Whatever they do, though, they should drop that incredibly stupid
>>encryption on the RAW file white balance. This was an amazingly stupid
>>move.
>
> Don't pick on Nikon withour also picking on Canon - they are equally
> culpable. The "sensational" revelation about the D2x ignored an important
> point - Canon do it too.
>
> "Meanwhile, Canon and Nikon continue to ignore the needs of today's
> photographers and tomorrow's historians by providing neither documentation
> nor human-readable code for their "secret" formats. My unpaid, often
> arduous work aims to correct this error, ensuring that the photographs of
> our time will always be viewable, on any computer running any operating
> system."

There must be some difference, since Nikon made a fundemantal change of some
sort with the D2x. Nobody ever complained about the problem before then, so
what changed? And why is it so easy to open and work with Canon files? I
can't believe that there's no difference in the file policies between the
two companies, and only one group of users has complained.

> (Quote from Dave Coffin)
June 14, 2005 11:58:57 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:19:18 +0100, "carrigman"
<carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote:

>I think Nikon made a marketing mistake in not upgrading the D70S to 8MP.

Well, 8mp did not persuade me to buy a Canon 350D. It was the thought
of low noise all the way up to a high ISO, plus the ISO 100 start. D70
came in very very close. It seems to me that the problem of noise
really does need to be the next big one for solution. Mind you there
was very little between them in photo quality certainly nothing which
could not be solved in Photoshop or Paintshop. Photos at ISO 200 that
is.

Lou.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:58:58 PM

Lou wrote:

> Well, 8mp did not persuade me to buy a Canon 350D. It was the thought
> of low noise all the way up to a high ISO, plus the ISO 100 start. D70
> came in very very close. It seems to me that the problem of noise
> really does need to be the next big one for solution. Mind you there
> was very little between them in photo quality certainly nothing which
> could not be solved in Photoshop or Paintshop. Photos at ISO 200 that
> is.

That's what I thought too but now I'm hearing Canon has a stronger
antialiasing filter which amounts to noise reduction and less sharpness.
I don't know how valid that is, probably it softens the original claim a
bit & Canon's are still less noisy. The other thing I didn't realize is
that Canon's ISO 3200 is really just a post analog/digital amplification
equivalent to what you can do with a RAW converter.

Anyways, as you said, both very good cameras. I would probably have gone
for the 8MP low noise but that wasn't an option in my price range when I
was shopping.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Philip Homburg wrote:
> In article <1118708558.689335@ftpsrv1>,
> Frederick <nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>>TAFKAB wrote:
>>
>>>Whatever they do, though, they
>>>should drop that incredibly stupid encryption on the RAW file white balance.
>>>This was an amazingly stupid move.
>>
>>Don't pick on Nikon withour also picking on Canon - they are equally
>>culpable. The "sensational" revelation about the D2x ignored an
>>important point - Canon do it too.
>>
>>"Meanwhile, Canon and Nikon continue to ignore the needs of today's
>>photographers and tomorrow's historians by providing neither
>>documentation nor human-readable code for their "secret" formats. My
>>unpaid, often arduous work aims to correct this error, ensuring that the
>>photographs of our time will always be viewable, on any computer running
>>any operating system."
>>(Quote from Dave Coffin)
>

> The thing is, Nikon is the only one who ran into trouble with Adobe. And then
> they issued a press release that strongly suggests that they don't understand
> what is going on.
>
> I don't know how Canon communicates with Adobe. From the code in dcraw.c
> I got the impression that Canon encrypted some data in low end models. And
> doesn't use encryption in current DSLRs.
>
> Anyhow. The new rule is probably going to be: do not order a new DSLR until
> you certain that your favorite RAW converter can handle its RAW format.

I'm not happy with Nikon software policy. The D70 is exceptional value
as the kit with the 18-70 lens, but I remain p****** that OEM supplied
Raw conversion software - except for the grossly inadequate "Picture
Project" was to be an extra cost. I would be extremely p***** if I paid
the price for a D2x and still had to reach into my pockets to get the
most out of it.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:44:32 PM

"carrigman" <carrigman@deathtospammershotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 8l0p4$q8p$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> <fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com> wrote That's not to say I need that
> extra size, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the short end of
> the stick by buying a D70 with 'only' 6MP
>
> I think you're right in feeling like this. The extra 2MPs don't make much
> difference overall but everything else being equal, as with Canon and
> Nikon (arguably), they do allow greater room for cropping.
>
> I think Nikon made a marketing mistake in not upgrading the D70S to 8MP.
> The marketplace, like it or not, thinks that the more MPs the better and
> I'd hazard a guess that the EOS 350D will shift more units than the D70S
> as a result.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to have a good 8MP camera now so that when the next
> generation of 10 or 12 MP cameras come on the scene in a year or so I
> won't feel as deprived as I would with a 6MP model like the D70S.
>
> Which is why, amongst other reasons, I have ordered a 20D. I just couldn't
> be bothered waiting for Nikon to catch up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carrigman

Another advantage of more pixels is less need for sharppening and thus less
sharppening artifacts, because the roll-off of the anti-alias filter can be
higher in spatial frequency.

Next temptation for me is an afordable full-frame sensor.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:54:19 AM

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

> "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8l9dl$57t$1@nnrp.gol.com...
> SNIP
>> I wonder if Canon has a 12MP 1.6x sensor in the works or if they
>> completely missed it. I'd be surprised if they had not been expecting
>> 12MP. The question is how will they respond...
>
> Rumor has it that we can expect something 3rd week of August.
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&m...
> Of course rumors are just that, rumors.

Posted by a guy named "Gotya." Hmmm...

> Bart
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:35:50 PM

"TAFKAB" <not@right.now> wrote in message
SNIP
> Posted by a guy named "Gotya." Hmmm...

Yes, although (s)he's been around a long time and, although at times a
bit on the provocative side, did provide some 'proven to be good'
insider hints. FWIW.

Bart
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:24:12 PM

> "TAFKAB" <not@right.now> wrote in message
> SNIP
>> Posted by a guy named "Gotya." Hmmm...
>
> Yes, although (s)he's been around a long time and, although at times a bit
> on the provocative side, did provide some 'proven to be good' insider
> hints. FWIW.

Geez, but what a handle! Actually, I think if anyone predicts that Canon
will introduce new cameras soon, they'd stand a 50/50 chance of being right.
Anyway, I hope Canon will eventually introduce a "pro" quality sub-frame.

> Bart
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:32:01 AM

In message <x6ednYWRKrwe_jLfRVn-pQ@speakeasy.net>,
Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

>The other thing I didn't realize is
>that Canon's ISO 3200 is really just a post analog/digital amplification
>equivalent to what you can do with a RAW converter.

That's not to say that the highest ISO or ISOs on other cameras are not
the same way.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!