Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Spikes when opening internet/programs

Last response: in CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:24:33 PM

Hello,

I built my own computer and have been having some trouble with CPU Spikes. The only time I really notice them is when I am playing music and then open an internet application. For about 1-2 seconds after I open the program the music will slow down and start skipping, sounding like something from Transformers.

Has anyone heard of this issue before, or know a solution?

Additional info:

- I've tried uninstalling and re-installing my audio drivers, but the issue is still here.
- It has been occurring since my computer was put together.
- Also occurs randomly while internet is open.
- CPU jumps from 0-1% to 100%.

PC Specs:
- Intel 980 6 Core @ 3.33 GhZ
- 24 Gb RAM
- 2 GTX 590
- 1500W Power Supply

Any and all help will be appreciated!

Best solution

July 15, 2012 12:48:43 AM

One core jumps to 100% or all 6? Install Process Explorer and try to narrow down what process/thread is taking the cpu time: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

July 15, 2012 1:21:11 AM

Quote:
One core jumps to 100% or all 6? Install Process Explorer and try to narrow down what process/thread is taking the cpu time: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us [...] 96653.aspx

All 12 regular and virtual cores spike when it happens. After some messing around some I'm able to reproduce the issue when I need to. It will randomly occur when opening new windows or loading videos, but it seems to always occur when opening a new browser after being idle for several moments.

I used the program you recommended and the process "McSvHost.exe2392" is the culprit of the spikes. I Included some pictures below to help with further troubleshooting, but after a quick Google search of the process I don't know if it is part of my McAfee anti-virus software or malware.

Related resources
July 15, 2012 5:13:58 AM

Ok, I think it is fixed now. McSvHost.exe is a process used by my McAfee anti-virus, I used the following steps to disable the service that used the process:

Open Security Center
Open Web and Email Protection
Open Firewall
Open Netguard and disable it

If anyone is having this issue, you will need to be logged in as an Admin to perform the above steps. Right click - Run as Admin won't work.

I haven't experianced any spike since disabling it, ill be sure to update the thread if I run into any further errors.

thanks for the help!
July 15, 2012 5:14:10 AM

Best answer selected by UrbanAvalon.
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2012 2:47:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!