SSD for C: or scratch + security concerns

kcroy

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I am currently installing Win7 on my new build ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=340720&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0 )

Primarily this is a build for photoshop / business and some gaming. I normally encrypt my work drives, but have not previously encrypted my system drive.

I do periodically run cleaning software on my sys drive, as well as write out some unwritten space.

I have read that for PS, having the SSD as my scratch disk is a better way to go. I also have read that there are issues with securing/wiping SSDs.

So currently I am going with 7200 speed drive , with a 300 gig partition.

Question 1: Thoughts so far?

Regarding security, it would be great if there were some way to have the scratch disk be hardware encrypted and use a new key each reboot . Basically forget the old key (make old data unreadable) and start using a new one for new data.

Question 2: Is this doable? Does encrypting my scratch drive slow it down?

I'll take the rest of my questions to security forum maybe.

Thanks!

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
The entire system runs much faster if the OS is on an SSD, plus you never have to defrag. OS updates install in seconds, not minutes. Virus scans only take seconds to a few minutes as well. You save hundreds of hours of maintenance with SSDs.

You can buy SSDs designed for encrypted use. If you want the best performance, buy 2 SSDs. One for the OS, one for scratch. Then use mechanical drives for storage.

I wouldn't worry much about encryption affecting SSD performance. You are talking seconds or less in difference. I don't see much real world difference between "slow" and fast SSDs. Even an older, slower SSD is worlds faster than 4 hard drives in RAID 0.

Don't know about rotating keys though.

kcroy

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

As a fast means of wiping them on a regular basis - changing the key would basically make previous temp files unavailable. Normally I would just write over them periodically, but as I understand it SSDs move data, so its not possible to rewrite over an area of the drive the same way as with old spinner drives.

kcroy

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks - I 'll look into a SSD built for encryption.