Help Me Build My First Computer (Complete Newbie)

differentperson

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Okay, so I am very new to this(both to this website and PC building; Hello all! :D). I was referred to this site from a friend whom recently built his PC, and said he was very happy with his, so I thought I would give it a try. Anyways, I was always given a pre-built computer, and was able to play my favorite games(mostly WoW) at reasonable settings, and I was fine with it. Because of the new requirements for Steam games or WoW, it has been hard to play games even at the lowest settings. I know for a fact I have an Intel Core 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 2GB of ram, and an XFX Raedon HD 4350 graphics card. (If you need more information, it is a Gateway GM5416E) I also have an LG W2040 20" monitor, and I am satisfied with that.

I really need to upgrade.

I want to build a PC that is able to play WoW and steam games at a reasonable to high setting. I haven't been on Steam much, but I plan on playing games like The Witcher 2 and other RPGs. I know for a fact that my WoW server is packed with people, and I will be PvP'ing and raiding a lot(not sure if that has to do with my computer or my network). Anyways, I would enjoy playing those games on a relaxed setting, maybe a higher setting.

I do not want to break the bank. Though I do not have a price range at the moment, I really do want to pay the least amount of money. My main goal is to upgrade my PC so I am able to play those games, but I do not want to pay more than I have to.

So can you guys help me? :D

differentperson

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
SORRY! I forgot to read the requirements. Here is the information I forgot.

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime This Month or The Next

Budget Range: Not entirely sure =/ ; maybe 400 - 600 (maybe 700, I am note sure on this one)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Parts Preferences: No Preference

Overclocking: Not sure

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900

Additional Comments: It does not have to be quiet, It just needs to be a computer that plays most all games at a reasonable setting perfectly, lasts long and does not cost entirely too much.

Try this setup

Intel i5-2400 - $180
Gigabyte Z68 ~ $90 - $125
CT2KIT51264BA1339 $40
HD 6850 $150

That is about $500 like you want and should be able to do what you want.

You would keep your other things you already have with this setup.

- Edit - To be on the safe side, you might want to add a good case (if your current one isn't great, especially if the PSU mount is on the top)

HAF 912

and a PSU if the one you have isn't that great

XFX Pro 450w Core

Those things would add about another $100 to the budget, but they are both really good parts. Much better than what OEMs like Gateway usually give you.

differentperson

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

So if I get all of this, would a general how-to video help me in putting all of this together?

There are plenty of videos on the internet that show how to put the pieces together, but as long as you can put the square peg in the square hole you are pretty much fine. Most stuff is pretty self explanatory and you can just look and see that it only goes in one way. The manuals are actually half decent too if you hit a stumbling block.

You also have us if you can't figure out what is going on.

That is the right 2400 and for the most part graphics card brands don't matter that much.

The best graphics cards have one fan on the end farthest from the back panel and they blow air across the card and out the back of the case. The less good ones blow air with one or more fans straight down onto the card and it stays in the case.

Some people say EVGA makes the best cards, personally I like PowerColor. Regardless, they aren't too overly different from each other if they are of the same maker and model.