Files & Folder Ownership

I've WinXP Pro SP2 installed,

I have an old HDD with NTFS & had earlier encrypted a folder (using winxp).
Now when I attached this old HDD to my new comp I cant access the file (
Access Denied Error ) How to take ownership of the complete folder & all its
contents, I tried wots mentioned in the microsoft help, all i managed is to
get rid of the folder appreaing in green color but the files still aren't
accessable.

Thanks !

]{artik

Kartik wrote:
> I've WinXP Pro SP2 installed,
>
> I have an old HDD with NTFS & had earlier encrypted a folder (using
> winxp). Now when I attached this old HDD to my new comp I cant access
> the file ( Access Denied Error ) How to take ownership of the
> complete folder & all its contents, I tried wots mentioned in the
> microsoft help, all i managed is to get rid of the folder appreaing
> in green color but the files still aren't accessable.
>
> Thanks !
>
> ]{artik

Well of course they're not! And, unless you backed up the original
encryption key, they never will be - as Windows randomly generates a new key
upon each new installation. What earthly use would encyption be if someone
could just remove it by simply taking ownership of the foldert/files?

You now have two choices - pay a data recovery company £1000s to recover the
data (if you are incredibly rich and the data is that important) or learn
from this, accept the dater is unrecoverable and move on.

lose his marbles?