Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power
  • PCI Express
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 14, 2012 11:27:08 PM

Sorry im just curious and i got no experience at all:

im just wondering, my Graphics card needs 2 x 6-pin pci-e supplementary power connectors . My PSU only have one 6+2 Pin Pci-e connector. I just wanna confirm what i need to do. What im thinking is shown below:

The card will get power to the PCI-e slot mainly: 2.0 x 16

but will need supplementary power so then i need to do the one below since i only got 1 x PCIe 6 pin connector on my PSU.

Just wondering is this correct? : the stuff below V

Card put on the PCIe Slot 2.0x16

PSU >>>>>>>> (One 6+2 PCI-e Connector) >>>> ill connect to the 6-pin PCI-e power socket on my GPU
v
v
v
Two 4-Pin Peripheral Connectors needs to be attach to an adapter (2 x molex) which converts into one PCI-e power connector which is then ill use to connect it to the 2nd 6 pin PCI-e power socket on my GPU.

Any Ideas will help thanks.

More about : supplementary power connector

a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2012 11:43:43 PM

Yeah, you have it right, but what PSU and what GPU?
July 15, 2012 12:13:32 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, you have it right, but what PSU and what GPU?

I got a gtx 580 but im still in a process of figuring out which brand of PSU i should get after the last one burned up i just can't work with my laptop.

I was searching online then found a really cheap bargain like price with a brand CiT PSU but it only comes with x1 pci-e 6+2 connector but i need 1 x 6 and 1x6+2 so i made this thread . :D 

But again after searching even deeper i found out that CiT isn't reputable enough and i should go to a better brand because maybe next time the PSU will take all of the other components on its doomsday burning :??: 

So now im looking at more reputable brands ocz, crossair.. etc. but they are definitely not cheap :/  still searching.

But anyways, thanks for the reply I will probably post what ill come up tonight before i go to out.
Much Appreciated~
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2012 12:16:06 AM

Yep. A PSU is the one thing you DON'T want to go cheap on. Quality definitely does matter.
July 15, 2012 12:30:13 AM

I think i was just lucky that the old one did not cause havoc, not sure either on what happened but definitely had a plastic burning smell coming out when it decided to retire.

Had the second thoughts when CiT psu had a really significantly low price compared to other brands ocz, corsair, seasonic, be quiet etc.. so far, prices are really at a different level :x
!