Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu fans

Last response: in Components
July 14, 2012 11:53:53 PM

I've recently ordered and built a new computer, but I'm not sure where the plug the fans into.
the board has 3 chassis fan connectors (4-pin). I have 4 fans with molex plugs.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/OCZMXS...
I have this modular psu and more specifically the bottom right cables are what connect to the fans (above the words Periphery/floppy).

If you don't want to look at that, one end is a floppy 4 pin adapter (I assume), there are two molex adapters attached in the middle of the wire, and then at the other end is the thing that plugs into the psu.

what I want to know is can I plug the floppy end into the mobo in order to control the fan speed, and if I can, do I plug the other end into the psu to supply power or just leave

(the mobo is capable of doing that, asus p8z77-V if you need to know, but trust me it is)

Edit1: if anybody can give me a quick answer that'd be wonderful, I spent the last day trying to figure this out (watching my desktop sit there collecting dust)

More about : cpu fans

Best solution

Anonymous
July 15, 2012 12:00:55 AM

Quote:
I have 4 fans with molex plugs.

you plug those into the appropriate power connection. since those have no wiring (sensor) for control they will be running @ 100%.
July 15, 2012 12:04:39 AM

So no plugging in the floppy thingy?
If so, that's a pity, but thank you so very much for the quick reply and for the help!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 15, 2012 12:11:17 AM

sorry no using the floppy thingy as an adapter. to be able to control a fan it must be wired with a controller and sensor along with the (+)(-) wires. (will already look like the floppy thingy) the ones you have are only wired with the power(+) and ground(-). (the molex plug)
m
l
July 15, 2012 12:19:23 AM

Well, thank you so much for your help!
again, thank you so much for the (both!) quick response, I'll just live with the maximum power for now. (and upgrade the fans later on)
m
l
Anonymous
July 15, 2012 12:27:07 AM

your welcome, glad to help.
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:31:35 AM

Best answer selected by daysdarkness.
m
l
!