I5 3570K Bottleneck 2x GTX680?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I'm buying a computer in the next few days, with a i5 3570K and a SINGLE GTX680, (It's probably a dumb question as that CPU is fairly new), if i happen to buy a second 680, there wont be any bottleneck of any kind, right?

And also, do you guys recommend a different CPU which is clearly better? (As my budget is pretty big and adding few hundred dollars at most is not a problem.)

Solution

That may be true, to an extent, but one, you can just OC it, and two, what better CPU is there? A 3770K? 3930K? More cores and threads (past 4) don't really mean much for gaming, so I fail to see any better gaming CPU than a 3570K.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Oh, thanks people. Now ive got another question i have left long unanswered. Will RAM timing (CL9-CL7 etc) affect the loading speeds themselves? Because ive heard its just matters for overclocking (Which i won't do.), and yes, once again a noob question. :)

Honestly, faster latencies don't really matter that much. If you were running a RAM disk it would, but that's about it. Otherwise, you would never be able to tell the difference between CL7 and CL9. Same goes for 1333 RAM vs. 1600 RAM, really, although many of us around here (including myself) use 1600 RAM anyway.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

maybe a tad in bf3 multiplayer with TWO 680's. ive seen some user benches that show downclocking a 2600k/2500k hurt online game play with a single gpu let alone two.

That may be true, to an extent, but one, you can just OC it, and two, what better CPU is there? A 3770K? 3930K? More cores and threads (past 4) don't really mean much for gaming, so I fail to see any better gaming CPU than a 3570K.

Solution

cbrunnem

Distinguished

yeah thats a solid point as well.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Yes, i thought from the same point of view when i made the parts list, as no (or little?) games support multi threading, its useless to spend another 100+ dollars for a few megahertz i can get via overclocking and hyperthreading.

Not much difference, honestly, other than a Z77 is guaranteed to work straight out of the box with an Ivy Bridge CPU and Z68 isn't (will with a BIOS update, but that requires a Sandy CPU to accomplish).

Other than that, Z77 has native (instead of third party) USB 3.0. Also, VirtuMVP, instead of basic Virtu on Z68.

Really, there's not really anything a Z77 can do that a Z68 board can't, besides work straight out of the box with an Ivy CPU.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Wow man i thank you, you just saved me almost 100 dollars and the headache installing that bios (i don't have any sandy bridge) :hello:

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I just looked at the reviews there, is all these DOA's a major problem? Or it's just the people who got a working one didn't post and the ones that it didn't work for them did post? (aka vocal minority)

cbrunnem

Distinguished

all motherboards will have some DOA's

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Meh, ive decided to go with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, its a few dollars more and its actually a full size ATX and from a brand i know and trust (unlike ASROCK). So i guess everyone's happy now :D

cbrunnem

Distinguished

um that asrock board was an ATX board... and Asrock makes one of the best boards you can buy. fyi though not trying to sway you or anything as both are great boards.

snowcrush

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Some of the reviews at newegg said its the length of a ATX board, but the width is smaller, so the screws in the right can't go in, and it literally hangs on the air on the right side. I rather not bother with that stuff, had a motherboard like that break already :/

Status
Not open for further replies.