Sign in with
Your question

Surround headset help

Last response: in Components
July 15, 2012 1:42:24 AM

Hello. I am planning on purchasing a pair of surround sound headphones, but i am rather new to the audio world. I want headphones mainly for gaming but I do not know if I should get analog or usb headphones. At first i was looking at the Razer Megalodon and Tiamat 7.1, but I got past the good looks and decided that i would look for better performance instead. I have a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard which has a Realtek ALC892 on-board sound card. My question is should i get a Usb headset that does not rely on the soundcard like the Corsair Vengeance 1500 or is my sound card good enough to get a analog headset such as the razer tiamat or corsair vengeance 1300. Thank you.

More about : surround headset

July 16, 2012 5:19:52 PM

Im in a similar situation myself so if i get any answers on this also i'll let you know.
m
l
July 16, 2012 7:58:47 PM

Frankly, I dislike surround sound headphones due to the sacrifices in audio quality that they make. More often then not, the rear drivers are VERY underpowered, loosing the surround effect in the process.

Headphones come in two varieties: The USB kind, which almost always use some form of virtualized surround, and the "real" kind, which connect via analog, that actually has all the drivers.

In any case, I recommend a good pair of stereo headphones, paired with a soundcard that can do virtualized surround.
m
l
!