Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help with fan placement.

Last response: in Components
July 15, 2012 2:28:03 AM

I currently have an AZZA case and I need some help with fan placement. It is pretty straightforward for the most part, but I need help on the side specifically. Anyway, here are my options:

1 x 120mm fans located on top - Obviously use this to exhaust hot air.
1 x 80mm fan in the front - for intake
1 x 120mm fan located in the rear - to exhaust the hot air
2 x 120mm fan located on the side - Here is where I am having questions. These two fan locations are located right on top of each other. The top locations is right where the CPU fan is at. I would imagine I would want this fan for exhaust? The bottom fan is right by my Radeon 6770. I don't play really any demanding games (other than Skyrim occasionally). Regardless, I would imagine I would want this to be an exhaust as well? Now the problem is that would leave me with only one 80mm intake in the front. This is obviously not enough air. So, what can I do here? One idea I had was to rig up an exhaust tube by either the CPU fan (my first choice) or the GPU fan so that gives the air a direct route out of the case instead of just hanging around int he case. This would possibly free up on fan for intake. Any other ideas?

Also, two other things. One, I plan on replacing all of my current fans. They all came out of other prebuilts so I was hoping that I would get some noticeable performance out of some other top of the line fans from Newegg. Can I expect noticeable results in terms of performance and noise? That leads to my second question. Am I going to make my case louder by adding these other 120mm fans? 4 x 120mm fans seems like it should be a lot of noise. I mean, I should know as that is my current setup, but I haven't heard other high-end PC setups to compare mine too.

More about : fan placement

July 15, 2012 3:12:19 AM

The fan on the side over the GPU should be blowing cool air into the case, over the gpu. The other fan on the side I would leave blank.
Score
July 15, 2012 4:10:12 AM

Noise is in the ear of the beholder.
The more fans you have, the louder it will be. The smaller, faster fans are louder than the larger slower fans. Large fans move more air quieter than small fans. I always look for low Db ratings on the fans.

Unless you are a heavy overclocker or plan on going to something a lot bigger than a HD 6770, it sounds to me like you have way more fans than you need. A front intake and rear exhaust is more than sufficient.
Score
Related resources
July 15, 2012 12:03:56 PM

just clean the fan then it will not work properly if it is in warrenty take it to the service center
Score
July 15, 2012 2:47:59 PM

abekl said:
The fan on the side over the GPU should be blowing cool air into the case, over the gpu. The other fan on the side I would leave blank.

The one question I had about this was that the fan will be blowing cool air in, but it is blowing right onto the GPU fan. So I would think the two fans would kind of cancel each other out. Is this not true?

clutchc said:
Noise is in the ear of the beholder.
The more fans you have, the louder it will be. The smaller, faster fans are louder than the larger slower fans. Large fans move more air quieter than small fans. I always look for low Db ratings on the fans.

Unless you are a heavy overclocker or plan on going to something a lot bigger than a HD 6770, it sounds to me like you have way more fans than you need. A front intake and rear exhaust is more than sufficient.

Really? I always thought you could never have to many fans lol, but you honestly think than one intake and a rear exhaust is all I need? I feel like if I had only 1 intake, it should at least be a 120mm and not a 80mm? You are correct in saying I am no overclocker and have no plans to go bigger than a 6770.

EDIT - Ok, I did a little more research and I feel somewhat dumb not thinking about this. I should have known that my case needs to be more like a wind tunnel, with air going in and out very quickly and not with air being blown in and out randomly. So with that being said, I know that I need that one intake in the front and the exhaust in the rear. That still leaves me with three empty fans slots. Should I even use these? I would imagine that a top exhaust would not hurt, but how bout the sides? Should I remove them completely so that the CPU and GPU fans can exhaust out of the side easier? I dont know, any ideas are welcome. I am definitely no fan expert. :D 
Score
July 15, 2012 3:44:45 PM

Those extra fan mtgs are more for ventilation and show than for any real need. If you had a pair of monster cards that were O/C'd and were running warm, then adding a side fan to bring in more fresh air would be advantageous. A top fan might be added if you O/C'd the processor and the CPU fan was directing its air upward, but if your CPU cooler is blowing towards the back of the case, the top fan isn't needed. The vents will, however, allow for ventilation of heat through convection when the system is shut down.

Yes, I would go with a larger fan than the 80mm for the front fan. A 120mm, 140mm, or larger will move more air with less noise (if you buy wisely and look for low Db ratings).

Btw, your thinking of the GPU fan canceling the side fan is confused. The side fan draws air into the case; the GPU fan takes that air in the case and blows it across its heat sync for cooling.
Score
July 15, 2012 3:52:10 PM

clutchc said:
Those extra fan mtgs are more for ventilation and show than for any real need. If you had a pair of monster cards that were O/C'd and were running warm, then adding a side fan to bring in more fresh air would be advantageous. A top fan might be added if you O/C'd the processor and the CPU fan was directing its air upward, but if your CPU cooler is blowing towards the back of the case, the top fan isn't needed. The vents will, however, allow for ventilation of heat through convection when the system is shut down.

Yes, I would go with a larger fan than the 80mm for the front fan. A 120mm, 140mm, or larger will move more air with less noise (if you buy wisely and look for low Db ratings).

Btw, your thinking of the GPU fan canceling the side fan is confused. The side fan draws air into the case; the GPU fan takes that air in the case and blows it across its heat sync for cooling.

Ah, of course, DUH! I don't know what I was thinking on the GPU fan. Anyway, so what exactly are you suggesting for my fan setup? Are you saying to take out the two side fans and the top fan? I should also mention, my front intake slot can only hold a 80mm fan, so sadly a 120mm is not do-able, so that makes me think I might want to have at least one side fan blow into the CPU/GPU fan.
Score

Best solution

July 15, 2012 5:34:54 PM

As long as you already have the side/top fan(s), leave them in if it's not too noisy. They are providing lots of air movement; albeit more than is necessary. No harm is done with all those fans as long as the front and side are drawing fresh air in and the top and rear are exhausting warm air. But with 5 case fans, a CPU fan, a GPU fan, and a PSU fan, it has to be a bit loud, huh? I say, huh? ;) 

July 15, 2012 6:40:53 PM

clutchc said:
As long as you already have the side/top fan(s), leave them in if it's not too noisy. They are providing lots of air movement; albeit more than is necessary. No harm is done with all those fans as long as the front and side are drawing fresh air in and the top and rear are exhausting warm air. But with 5 case fans, a CPU fan, a GPU fan, and a PSU fan, it has to be a bit loud, huh? I say, huh? ;) 

Well, like I said, I've honestly never really heard any other "higher end" PC to compare to; only pre-builts. However, I did think it was pretty loud. While I was waiting on a reply, I did remove the bottom side fan (the one I had as exhaust). I took my PC out and ran each fan individually to see if any of them were louder than others and/or moving less air than others. I found that the top side fan I was using for intake was one, pretty loud and two, not moving as much air as the others. So I did a little switching around, took it out, and replaced it and now the PC seems to be doing great. Best of all, I checked my before and after temps, and lowered pretty much all of them (except the HDDs) by 3-5 celsius. Not much, but the cooler the better! :D 

So yea, looks good. I still think I want to replace my front intake and rear exhaust. Surprisingly, they are both only 80mm fans and that is the largest fan they are capable of housing, so I think it might be a good idea to get some higher end, aftermarket 80mm fans for those since they are the most important fans and they didn't seem to powerful when I checked them.
Score
July 15, 2012 6:56:00 PM

Yeah, those 80mms can be louder than 120mms because they usually spin faster to move the same amount of air. When possible, I like to have my HDD in the flow of air from the front fan... but not totally blocking off air flow. What case are you using?
If you leave your side fan in place as an intake fan, it will help supplement the front 80mm.
Score
July 15, 2012 7:02:00 PM

clutchc said:
Yeah, those 80mms can be louder than 120mms because they usually spin faster to move the same amount of air. When possible, I like to have my HDD in the flow of air from the front fan... but not totally blocking off air flow. What case are you using?
If you leave your side fan in place as an intake fan, it will help supplement the front 80mm.

I plan on leaving that top-side fan as intake for my CPU (and GPU). I've simply removed the bottom one which honestly wasn't doing to much as it was exhaust and since they were right on top of each other I was probably short circuiting the air there. I can't find the exact case as I bought a pre-built (that I have modified) that is no longer made, but it's basically this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) except I only have one top fan and that one has two.

Oh, and the fan I removed was a 120mm, not a 80mm if that is what you are referring too. Both 80mm fans are actually not too loud, but they don't seem to be moving much air.
Score
July 22, 2012 1:40:06 AM

Best answer selected by gundown64.
Score
July 25, 2012 4:48:17 PM

clean the fan and then check
Score
August 16, 2012 6:29:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!