CPU that can handle online research & downloads 24X7 for < USD 600

jameslux

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi there!

Building a new rig(first time!) & could surely use all the help & advice I can get!

Approximate Purchase Date: April 2nd-4th, 2012

Budget Range: INR 30000/- which equates to approx USD 600 /-

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Workstation for 24X7 online access, researching stocks & commodities via a online consumer terminal in local & world markets(part of my masters degree in stock & commodity analysis) & would like to be able to simultaneously download/stream/watch movies/listening to music while researching online(multiple windows in browser with youtube, tickers & emails) and working with multiple excel spreadsheets. My biggest worry is the PC becoming slow, freezing & crashing if I try to do the above simultaneously.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard. Mouse, Speaker & OS not required

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://www.theitwares.com/, http://www.theitdepot.com/

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : I would prefer an Intel Motherboard & an Intel Processor along with a case that supports good airflow & a PSU that can support an "always-on" workstation that hardly ever needs to be powered-down.. Asus & Gigabyte service & products are not up to the mark here, so I've come to understand.

Overclocking: Only if you think the System Usage demands OCing.

SLI or Crossfire: Although I'm not a gamer and will not be using the above system for gaming, I would like to stream/watch HD videos on the system. Also, although I'm currently okay with using one 1600x1200(20 inches Wide screen) monitor, I would like to be able to use multiple (two or more monitors) in the near future(end of the year perhaps)- I don't know how will sli/crossfire help in this but currently I plan to make do with the onboard intel graphics card, considering my system usage-Do you think it will suffice?

Monitor Resolution: Already have a 1600x1200(20 inches Wide screen) monitor. I would like to have the possibility of being able to connect multiple(at least 2 monitors) in landscape/portrait mode to my system in the near future. But for now the 20 inch WS monitor should suffice.

Additional Comments:
1. Need at least one USB 3 port on the MB
2. Need a case that would support multiple 1/2TB Hard drives(the more the better).

After researching the forums, I've come up with a wild guess on what would suit my purpose but need advice whether the following would live up to my expectations and if there are any hardware conflicts etc to look out for. Please note that this is my first desktop and I've never assembled one before-I've always worked from our universities computer lab but it's getting too crowded lately!

Processor: Trying to choose between Intel i3-540 vs i3-2100 Or do you think an Intel Pentium G620/E5700/E5800 would suffice? Also, this processor comes with it's own heatsink-Do I need to apply a thermal gel during assembly or just let it be?
http://www.theitwares.com/intel-core-clarkdale-306ghz-cache-1156-dualcore-desktop-processor-bx80616i3540-p-455.html vs http://www.theitwares.com/intel-core-i32100-sandy-bridge-31ghz-256kb-cache-cache-1155-dualcore-desktop-processor-bx80623i32100-p-1980.html

Motherboard:Will Intel DH67VR LGA 1155 serve my purpose? Or do i need to opt for Intel DH67GD B3 LGA 1155 or Intel BOX DH67CL B3 LGA 1155 ...

http://www.theitwares.com/intel-dh67vr-1155-motherboard-p-2230.html vs http://www.theitwares.com/intel-dh67gd-1155-intel-hdmi-sata-6gbs-micro-intel-motherboard-p-2361.html vs http://www.theitwares.com/intel-dh67cl-1155-intel-hdmi-sata-6gbs-intel-motherboard-p-1959.html

Memory/Ram: 2X2GB or 2X4GB? Which one do you think fit's my needs the best? Is more still better?

Harddrives: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM
http://www.theitwares.com/hard-drives-internal-hard-drives-c-101_31_55.html

I was also thinking about installing a lower capacity SSD drive say 60GB for Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit for load time benefits-What do you think? Reading around the forums I've got the impression that SSD's are still pretty unstable in terms of crashing unexpectedly..

Choices: http://www.theitwares.com/hard-drives-hard-drives-c-101_31_120.html
DVD Burners: Anyone that lasts longer. http://www.theitwares.com/burners-internal-drives-c-101_32_60.html .. the costs almost the same for all, be it Sony, LG, HP or Asus.

PSU:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified A...
http://www.theitwares.com/corsair-builder-series-cx500-500w-atx12v-plus-certified-active-power-supply-p-2265.html

What do you think? Will this able to bear the demands placed on the workstation as above?

Cabinets: Tons of choices but don't know which one to choose... Need one with a good airflow and since I plan to stack up my Harddrives inside as and when required, a good space for internal harddrives with equally good air flow would be good, especially since my crib is too stuffy!
http://www.theitwares.com/computer-hardware-cabinets-c-101_33.html?sort=4a&page=1&main_catid=101

Thinking about the following:
NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Black Steel / Plastic Gaming mATX Computer Case: http://www.theitwares.com/nzxt-crafted-series-vulcan-black-steel-plastic-gaming-matx-computer-case-p-2280.html

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case: http://www.theitwares.com/corsair-carbide-series-400r-graphite-grey-black-steel-tower-gaming-case-p-2291.html

Although I'm still researching through the wealth of information available on the site and learning new facts every moment, I would be extremely grateful if you could please share your thoughts and views on the above.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers! :)

For your purposes I would recommend more than 2 cores, I think a 4 core or more would suit your needs. Also it sounds like you could be in danger of running out of available system memory if you have only 4GB. This is the rare case where I would suggest to someone to get more than 8gb, in fact I'm suggesting 16gb of 1333mhz RAM. You are going to want to spend the majority of your money on CPU, RAM, and PSU. This is whats going to keep your system working around the clock.

I've been trying to compile a list of parts for you using those websites. The selection is not great, and neither are the prices. To put together a system that will do what you're asking flawlessly it would go over budget. Is there anyway you could order from amazon?

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
my suggestion

Intel Core i3-2100 3MB 3.10GHz Processor 6355.00

Corsair Builder Series 430W Power Supply (CMPSU-430CX) 2410.00

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case 4380.00

Intel DH67CL 32GB DDR3 Desktop Board 5740.00

Corsair Value Select 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz Desktop Memory (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) 2340.00

Asus 1GB DDR3 ATI PCI E Graphics Card (EAH5450 SILENT-DI-1GD3-LP) 2065.00

Asus 24x Sata Internal DVD Writer (DRW-24B3ST) 1185.00

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB SATA Desktop Hard drive (ST31000524AS 5875.00

Grand Total (Rs) : 30350.00

i would suggest a four core cpu but your budget could not be fit eith it.

but i3 2100 has 2 physical 2 virutal cores which will act like a 4 core cpu and also show 4 cpus in task manager and device manager.

i posted 2x 4 gb 1333mhz corsair ram. that will be more than enough for you unless you open 120+ tabs on firefox that will surely need above 8gb.

if you wanted a i5 then i suggest drop the hdd to 500gb and drop the gpu.

when you need to buy second monitor buy a cheap gpu which will support 2 monitors atleast.

if you live in mumbai then i suggest to get the parts from lamminton road in mumbai. if not no problem get it online.

all you need is a 400w psu for even a hd 6670 gpu.

that cpu cant oc nor the mobo supports oc.

any questions ask freely. welcome to toms hardware forums (the authority on tech)

:hello:

jameslux

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hey guys! Thanks so much for the prompt replies & your suggestiions!! :)

@stickg1: Although I do have access to amazon & newegg, ordering from them online will attract severe levies & duties since I'm currently settled in India for the coming 3 years, so I've come to understand. This will not only negate any saving's I would be otherwise hope to make but may also affect warranty in case I face issues with any part/s.

I really appreciate you(& serialkiller) investing your time & energy while trying to compile a list of parts for you using those websites & I apologize to have put you through the grind of choosing from a limited number of options with variance in prices(& currencies!) but those are the only options I've come across till now other than walking in to the local IT market, as suggested by serialkiller & perhaps saving enough to have the DVD writer pay for itself!

Also, thanks for helping me understand the importance of RAM when it comes to my required expectations from multitasking that I hope to achieve on this rig. I will definitely keep that in mind!

@serialkiller: Thanks for helping me with the detailed list of shortlisted components for my rig. I need a few clarifications though...

If I were to opt for an Intel i5-2500 processor(ie by opting out of the gpu & keeping the HD to 1TB by raising my budget to cover the difference), should I opt for the i5-2500 or the i5-2500K as there's just a few hunderd rupee difference between them but do you think the ability to OC it be helpful to me with my system usage requirements? Also, which MB would you recommend that will be compatible with the processor & with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS? Will the same MB serve my purpose(as the description online on www.theitwares.com mentions that it supports i3/i5/i7 processors? Link here

Also, just to clarify, what's the difference between Intel DH67VR LGA 1155 , Intel DH67GD B3 LGA 1155 & Intel BOX DH67CL B3 LGA 1155-They all seems to be same according to their specs(maybe different expansion slots, according to the description online) but differ in their last abbr as VR/GD/CL.

I would also be extremely grateful to you if you could kindly share your thoughts & views on warranty of the parts in question-Which local company in your experience has a good track record for covering warranties in India(mumbai in particular)? How does one go about claiming warranty on the above in case of issues? Do all the companies, the products of which have been shortlisted by you, have warranty centers in mumbai?

Also, which stores at Lamingt Road would you recommend I visit? Have you had experience with those who sell genuine over-the-counter products with a genu paid invoice & also assist in warranty issues(I hope I don't face any but it's always good to get an helping hand when one needs it the most!)?

I'm currently settled in New Mumbai and I did visit the above IT Hub when I first came to Mumbai mid-July last year but it was extremely chaotic! I was in need of a laptop and while strolling through the shops on either side, I was faced with different prices for the same laptop make & model No. at different shops advertising different brand logos all over! Not to mention my Canadian accent worked against me! So, I ended up requesting one of my colleagues to help me purchase an HP dv6 series laptop which is currently at the local Service Center getting rehab after suffering from heat exhaustion! :(

Please fell free to PM/email me any reliable references you may have.

Thanks a ton!!

Cheers! :)

If you were interesting in going the AMD route, they have an APU which is a CPU combined with a GPU and they have motherboards that support dual monitors without needing an additional graphics card. They prices are reasonable and they have 2 chips that are easily overclocked. If you want I can make you a price list including one of these chips. Otherwise you should go with the i3 package that serialkiller laid out for you because thats a pretty strong machine. If you wanted an i5-2500k you would have to raise your budget, I can't find any other way around it.

jameslux

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Thanks stickg1! I would be interested to know the alternatives to the i3-2100 & the i5-2500K that AMD has to offer. Having been to the IT hub that serialkiller(thanks a ton!) referred to for a final quote and availability of the components-IT seems that the Corsair carbide series cabinet is currently out of stock online & in a few shops that I asked-They however gave me the following choices:
1. NZXT Vulcan
2. NZXT Guardian
3. NZXT Tempest Evo
4. Corsair 500R(no link available)
More Options here & here

Any ideas of which one should I opt, considering I'm looking for nice airflow & possibilities of accommodating multiple internal HD's in the near future? Btw, A couple of shops also recommended AMD but couldn't give me a quotation as I did not have the specifics I was looking for.

Also, one of the shops suggested I opt for CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 instead of the 1333 Mhz option-What's the difference & will the 1600 provide a significant increase in performance compared to the 1333?

I'm still confused about the difference between between Intel DH67VR LGA 1155 , Intel DH67GD B3 LGA 1155 & Intel BOX DH67CL B3 LGA 1155-They all seems to be same according to their specs(maybe different expansion slots, according to the description online) but differ in their last abbr as VR/GD/CL. & whether the MB in question(Intel BOX DH67CL B3 LGA 1155) can be OC'ed? I'm searching for the comparison on the forum but there's tons of information coming my way & I somehow seem to be lost-in-analysis! :ouch:

Thanks once again for helping me narrow down on the best config that suits my purpose!

Cheers!

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
for the motherboard go for the cheapest.

for the cases if i have to choose between the three nzxt cases i would choose the temptest evo.

it is mid tower it looks good and has nice airflow. also get additional for th case. but dont put it on the side panel it disturbs the airflow and does not give any advantage.

the vulcan looks good but supports only upto matx mobo. and will have very low expandiblity.

i think the gurdian is fugly and gaudy.

the 1600mhz will be a bit faster as compaired to 1333 ram. get it as you have only one choice.