Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Crossfire Help

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 25, 2012 2:10:15 AM

So recently I ordered an HIS 2gb 6950 (Factory Overclocked)
This is the exact card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'm kind of sad that it cannot handle Battlefield 3 multiplayer with maximum Anti Aliasing at 1080p so I decided I want to get another one.
I'm not really sure if my setup here is crossfire capable so that's what I'm asking.
I have an Asus M5A97 AMD motherboard, This is the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And my power supply is an Ultra LSP 750 watt.
This is the power supply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

My other specs are:
AMD Phenom II x4 975 OC'd to 3.99ghz
8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
Corsair Force 3 Series 90gb SSD
250gb Sata II 7200rpm HDD

So, can I get another HIS 2gb 6950 like the one I already have and crossfire it with my current setup?

I'm not sure if my motherboard will crossfire or if my PSU is good enough. :??: 
Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : crossfire

January 25, 2012 3:20:37 AM

Anyone? Please? :/ 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a c 275 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 3:34:15 AM

You're mobo is not real crossfire.
It's a x16 x4 board = not worth adding another gpu.
Score
0
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 25, 2012 3:37:51 AM

davcon said:
You're mobo is not real crossfire.
It's a x16 x4 board = not worth adding another gpu.


Okay thank you, if i were to get a new motherboard that would be worth adding a GPU would my power supply be good enough to crossfire 2 HIS 2gb 6950s like I have?
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 275 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 3:53:52 AM

Technically the psu should power that configuration.
It doesn't have enough PCI-E power adapters 3(never heard of that before)
You'll need another 8 pin PCI-E.
Ultra isn't that great imo.
If you have game play issues the psu will be the problem.
Mobo with plenty of features.
ASUS M5A99X EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 3:56:12 AM

Also, you probably won't be able to see the difference with AA levels above x4. Leave it there.
Score
0
January 25, 2012 3:56:54 AM

Best answer selected by smeelo.
Score
0
January 25, 2012 3:59:52 AM

davcon said:
Technically the psu should power that configuration.
It doesn't have enough PCI-E power adapters 3(never heard of that before)
You'll need another 8 pin PCI-E.
Ultra isn't that great imo.
If you have game play issues the psu will be the problem.
Mobo with plenty of features.
ASUS M5A99X EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I see, I looked it up and I think it has a wimpy 12v rail (45A). I saw some Corsair power supplies with 60+ Amp 12 volt rails.
Thanks for the information! :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a c 275 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 4:05:51 AM

smeelo said:
I see, I looked it up and I think it has a wimpy 12v rail (45A). I saw some Corsair power supplies with 60+ Amp 12 volt rails.
Thanks for the information! :) 

Yeah dude i never recommend Ultra units.
Was trying to point that out it in a nice way!
I should just stick to my usual ways and call it like it is a POS.
You should replace it with a quality unit that has all the required adapters and balls on the 12v.
A high quality 650W - 750W will power your specs.
Stick with something from Antec,Corsair,XFX,and Seasonic.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 7:38:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!