Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I have a CM 690 II advanced.

My case fans:

120mm rear exhaust fan
140mm front intake fan
140mm top exhaust fan
120mm side intake fan (to the GPU)

My problem is that the 120mm side fan does not have a dust filter - I'm afraid that it would not provide good air to the GPU with the dust filter.

So, you guys think I should add a dust filter for my side fan - will it really prevent dust from getting in and not really prevent air?

icathelion

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
well fortunately those fans are pretty decent, so dust filters wont cut down airflow THAT much, but there will be a slight drop in not only pressure but volume of air moved. It's simple physics. You dont seem to be an aiflow enthusiast so this slight drop most likely wont matter to you, in this case (no pun intended) I say go for the filters.

An alternative to filters would be to change your fans around so you have a positively charged case; that is when you have more air being pushed into the case than exhausted, making the air inside the case pressurized, always trying to escape the cracks and opening of the case.

Either way, good luck in your computing endeavours!

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

The 120mm is a noctua.. only one that doesn't have a dust filter. So again, NOW you think I should add a dust filter or not?

Yozer34

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

What do you mean by "powered down" ?

icathelion

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Since all your other fans have filters you might as well put one on the last one.

And someone is an airflow enthusiast or coolingg enthusiast who will ddo everything they can to have the best possible airflow, even if that means sacrificing quietness or lots of money. There are so many expensive things to buy for cooling and airflow its truly astounding.

And dust is a worry no matter what. My old roommate has his rig running all the time with every single fan slot taken up with a good fan and a massive cpu cooler. His rig is lacking dust filters and is laden with dust. Its disturbing how dust can get in if your rig even if its seemingly perfect.

I have dust filters all over the place and my airflow is not only positively charged but also in a windtunnel design, by far the best for air cooling, and yet I still have very small amounts of dust.

Go with the dust filter, and if you are all that concerned with dust I recommend the positively charged method, remember more intake than exhaust, but allow your system to breathe too.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No matter how well you filter your intake fans, and no matter how much CFM the fans produce, there still is going to be some dust build up inside the case over time. But if you're like me, you'll have your case open for one reason or another so often, that blowing out dust accumulation (if any) will just become routine. I keep a can of (safe) compressed air on hand all times for a gentle cleaning when the case is opened.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Your English is good enough that we could follow it. Better than I would do in your language, that's for sure Lol...

Does it look like this?
http://www.shutterbug.com/images/1211inbrief01.jpg

DustPC

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I recommend to buy the polyurethane foam with an open cell and put on your fan. The case fan dust filter.
IMG_7714_8_soz4wa0r.jpg

DustPC

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Thickness this material is 4.5 mm
IMG_8124_1_soz4wa0r.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.