Capable computer build?

Manishmanny

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I've been looking for a new gaming set up for the apartment im moving into. ( getting out of parent's house finally )

I'm generally new to pcs... now that i have a job i can afford one. I have researched for about 3 weeks now on computers and components and what not, i feel somewhat up to par. I'm hoping to get my pc/monitor/accessories sent to me pre-built.

Im looking for a looker and a performer, this is my first actual pc and id love for it to be attractive and good at gaming.

Here is the rig i came up with,

Case: * Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

Cooling Fan: Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA)

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard LucidLogix Virtu and Intel Smart
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: 30 GB ADATA S396 Turbo Series SATA-II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 280MB/s Read & 250 MB/s Write (Single Drive)
Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Power Supply Upgrade: 1,000 Watts - Raidmax RX-1000AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Sound: Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

WIN 7

this is about 2.1k (accessories added) and id like to have a pc by then end of April. is there any less expensive options i can do? ( besides building anything myself) and also will this system run stuff like bf3 on ultra with a decent fps?

I'm assuming this is a prebuilt, but I would advise you to look at building your own - the experience you get with building the PC, installing the OS and troubleshooting can't be gained anywhere else. Additionally you'll get better components since you can choose better brands for some parts.

You also haven't listed a budget, monitor resolution, etc.

Case: * Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans
Meh. I feel like there are better cases out there with better looks (unless this appeals to you).

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
This is what I have issues with in a "gaming PC". Your GPU is the key component if you're looking to game, while the CPU is not as important. Even the lower end Pentium G LGA1155 CPUs (~$70) will game very well when paired with a good GPU.

My recommendation would be an i3-2100/2120 and something around a GTX 570 (or AMD equivalent). I'm betting it's not available on the prebuilt site since they tend to not carry the i3 CPUs, when in reality they're more than capable for games.

Cooling Fan: Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA)
You don't really need this - even if you got the i5-2500K it would OC to ~4.3 GHz with almost no added voltage, and it would run quite cool. For something like the i3, the Intel stock cooler is plenty.

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard LucidLogix Virtu and Intel Smart
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: 30 GB ADATA S396 Turbo Series SATA-II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 280MB/s Read & 250 MB/s Write (Single Drive)
You're better off with a 64GB+ SSD for holding your OS. It'll give you faster read/write speeds than a caching drive.

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
G.Skill tends to be a bit cheaper but just as good as Corsair.

Power Supply Upgrade: 1,000 Watts - Raidmax RX-1000AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Terrible choice - first off your PC right now will barely need a 600W PSU; no need for 1000W. Secondly, Raidmax is a terrible brand and should be avoided.

You should be looking at Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, and Antec PSUs almost exclusively, in the ~650W range for what you have listed now, and it will change based on the GPU you choose.

Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
In reality you could get away with 1TB if you needed to. It is a lot of space, and you can always add a second HDD later in ~10 minutes. If you need to save money to get a better GPU or the like, you can cut out some $$ here.

Sound: Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
This is somewhat unnecessary since the onboard audio will be fine if you're not using a high-end speaker/headphone system.

this is about 2.1k (accessories added) and id like to have a pc by then end of April. is there any less expensive options i can do? ( besides building anything myself) and also will this system run stuff like bf3 on ultra with a decent fps?
You could do better for your money building yourself, and like I said before the experience is invaluable.

If something goes wrong, you know how to fix it.
If your hardware starts to fail, you know how to troubleshoot it.
If you know how components work, you know how to tweak them and tweak them safely.

You don't get any of this buying a prebuilt PC, and in reality it's your loss.