Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build questions

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2012 2:53:30 PM

For gamming purposes I am wondering what numbers I should weigh more heavly than others. for a cpu and mobo. because the parts I have my eyes on are > than the recomended builds for gamming so im just wondering if I am missing something.

AMD FX-4170
BIOSTAR TA990FXE AM3+ AMD 990FX
both for $270

but I keep seeing other budget builds spending the same and not even near the same numbers that I see

More about : build questions

Best solution

April 1, 2012 3:32:48 PM

The FX processors aren't that great and they have a lot of compatibility problems that no other processor type has.

It is an FX slot and you would think that if you just bought a motherboard that says FX on it that it would work, but unlike every other processor it isn't that simple with FX.

Its quite often that a FX board doesn't even recognize a FX processor.

I usually just suggest to stay away from FX because of all the problems with them. They flopped in the marketplace for a few reasons, most of which were good ones.

For processor + motherboard I would suggest you get an i5-2400 and a Gigabyte 1155 motherboard in the $90 - $125 range.

- Edit - Those two things I said should come to about the same $270.

That would be a whole lot more powerful, it would make less heat, use less power, and the motherboard is guaranteed to recognize the processor from the moment you plug it in.
April 11, 2012 12:15:21 AM

Best answer selected by soch330.
m
l
!