Which one of the CPU Temperature is correct?

salman4u

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hello,

I built my new system myself. It has ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and I5 3450 processor and uses Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212. When I boot my CPU and go into BIOS, it shows my CPU's temperature as 40 degree.

But when I installed RealTemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

it shows as 33, 33, 36, 35 (for 4 cores)

My question is which one should I believe? Should I believe motherboard's CPU temperature or this tool?

try open hardware monitor...the temp you want to look at is the cpu case temp. it should match close to the same temp as the bios is reading.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/?action=view&current=temp.jpg
asus mb with a 3540...as you can see soem of the temps show real low..those ones not running and good case airflow.
the temp that inportant on the ib and sb is cpu case temp sensor. that the temp reading for the whole cpu.

InvalidError

Titan

Thermal diodes in CPUs are non-linear and their associated support circuitry is not calibrated. They can be off a handful of degrees either way around the real temperature within the silicon due to process variations between batches and even between different locations across the wafer.

Depending on luck, it is quite possible for people to get CPUs that cannot be cooled below "30C" under normal circumstances without using some form of heat-pump or cryo-cooling.

InvalidError

Titan

The point was that the core temperatures are only a relative indication of temperature good enough for internal functions such as thermal throttling, not an absolute temperature measurement. The error on it is likely something in the neighborhood of +/-5C so you can have a chip running at 30C actual core temperature reporting as 35C or vice-versa.

The CMOS process used in CPUs is tuned for low-power high-speed CMOS gates, not precision PN junctions and precision ADCs needed to sample the diodes' output.

salman4u

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

This is my hardware monitor:

upload pictures

Does anything look suspicious to you? This PC is assembled by me and this is the 1st time I've done it. Hope I've not done it wrong :)