dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hey guys, I have a CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 and I began doing constant clicks after a couple of hours of Use. I think its the fan but I may be wrong. Could It be coil whine? Not sure If I should RMA it or if its a normal thing

Solution
Many power supplies have a paper or plastic shroud inside that is supposed to act as an insulator to keep high voltages from comoing into contact with the metal of the case. It sound like you may have one that has become slightly warped and has begun to come into contact with the fan. Also, that PSU has variable fan speed control that causes the fan to speed up when the PSU gets warm enough. That would explain why it doesn't click until you have been drawing a substantial amount of power for quite awhile. When the fan speeds up, it draws more air and that causes the shroud to bend into the fan blades slightly causing the clicking.

RMA the PSU and get a new one that is built correctly.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Well, It clicks about 2-3 hours into usage. With in those 2-3 hours I was gaming for a good hour, but there was no clicking. Everytime I remove power from the power supply the clicking goes away and comes back a couple of hours later

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

No, It looks brand new. Theres a dust filter where the intake fan sucks air in

Well I would personally rma the unit. We know that it isn't coil wine or dust throwing off the fan. Three weeks is standard fare for a psu testing period. Better to know of the problem and get it fixed now. Although if you want you could take a risk and see if it goes away. It doesn't seem to respond to heavy load. I'm not so risky myself, have had a psu start on fire on me.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Many power supplies have a paper or plastic shroud inside that is supposed to act as an insulator to keep high voltages from comoing into contact with the metal of the case. It sound like you may have one that has become slightly warped and has begun to come into contact with the fan. Also, that PSU has variable fan speed control that causes the fan to speed up when the PSU gets warm enough. That would explain why it doesn't click until you have been drawing a substantial amount of power for quite awhile. When the fan speeds up, it draws more air and that causes the shroud to bend into the fan blades slightly causing the clicking.

RMA the PSU and get a new one that is built correctly.

Solution

The problem was not with drawing too much power under load, it does not occur more often than when not under load. Although either way an rma is needed. Wouldn't stick my hand inside a power supply

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

My Set up is:

AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.3 GHz
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB
2 Hard Drives
1 Optical Drive
1 Powercolor 6850
Asrock 970 Extreme 3
3 Case fans
Noctua NHD-14