Sign in with
Your question

I have an Issue : Possibly Related to PSU Wattage??

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • GPUs
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 15, 2012 5:21:43 AM

Hey guys! I wrote a post some time this week about building a gaming PC. Well, I did it! With even better parts than originally planned for about the same price. However, I have spent a few hours building the PC today, and I seem to have run into an error. For my GPU, I have opted for the GTX 570 HD. This uses 2 8-Pin connectors to power, so it uses 2 PCI-E slots on my PSU. Now, when only one of the 8-Pin connectors are connected to my GPU, my computer turns on, the fan on my GPU spins, and all of the other parts spin. However, when I install the second PCIE plug into the socket on my PSU, I get a black screen upon startup. Now this leads me to believe that I do not have an adequate power wattage. I have a 750W OCZ series. It is rated Gold. Can someone please help?

P.S. I am writing this on my new computer. I do luckily have an on-board GPU built into my motherboard so I can do some basic things such as browse the web :p 

Replies appreciated!
Cheers~~
-Mitchel

More about : issue possibly related psu wattage

a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2012 5:24:55 AM

I think you have diagnosed things correctly. The PSU you have should be able to provide all the power the GPU needs and then some, but the proof is in the pudding, it's clearly not able to.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2012 6:10:58 AM

there are two eight pin conenctors on new power supplys.
http://i-am-fast.com/Pictures/power_connectors_atx.jpg
one is made from two 4 pin plug called eps cable..that for extra power for the cpu and pci bus and not for pci video cards.
the others should be two six pin cables with one two pin cable hanging onto the side of the 6 pins. these are your 6/8 pin pci video cables. also with modular power supplys check to see how many 12v legs there are. sometime you have to take one pci video power from one leg and the other cable on another 12v leg. also make sure the 4/8 pin pci power plug is plugged in.
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2012 2:06:26 PM

Sorry, I made a mistake in my informational post. The GPU is powered by two 6-Pin plugs. I do think that I am using the right ones due to the fact that the plugs that I am using for the GPU is clearly stated "PCI-E."
m
l
July 15, 2012 2:20:47 PM

Does your motherboard have builtin video if so see if it boots before putting the video card in, what you might have is either bad ram or incompatible ram that can be fixed by updating the bios.
Also you may want to check your mounting run the motherboard outside the case on cardboard or a clean non-conductive surface with 1 stick ram ,video,keyboard and power supply.
Many first time builders make a mistake with brass stand offs and have too many or one in wrong place or in some cases i have seen them mount the motherboard right to to back plate without putting the brass stand offs in.

Requirements:
Minimum of a 550 power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)
Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2012 2:33:40 PM

750W should be enough for 570 SLI, I don't think that's your problem.
m
l
July 15, 2012 3:13:15 PM

Thing is, it runs perfectly without the second PCI-E Plug into the GPU. With the second PCIE slot plugged in, the computer turns on, the fans spin, but the monitor doesn't get a display for one reason or another.
It's not that my computer isnt working properly, because I am writing this on the computer that I built. I just can't seem to get my computer to give me a signal to my monitor with the second power plug plugged into the GPU.
m
l
July 15, 2012 3:45:47 PM

EDIT: Is there any other possible solutions to this other than my PSU not being adequate?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2012 3:53:13 PM

The gpu could be bad, the cable could be bad. Have you tried all combinations of cable and connections ie... cable 1 in psu slot 1 to gpu power connection 1; cable 1 in psu slot 1 to gpu power connection 2; cable 1 in psu slot 2 to gpu power connection 1, etc.

You have the luxury that it more or less works with only 1, so you can try these things.
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:36:43 PM

I will try those and report back.
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:45:42 PM

I FIXED IT :D  !!

I had my video running through a VGA cable because that was what was set in BIOS default settings. I then put a DVI Plug into my Graphics card and now I can see the feed ;D
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2012 5:40:18 PM

Great :D  Well good thing you didn't mindlessly run off to buy a bunch of new PSUs for testing eh?
m
l
!