Which USB data cable compatible with 6600?

Last response: in Brands
April 12, 2004 8:35:36 AM

Hi

I've just finished a call with Nokia's customer support here in
Australia and was told no compatible data cable will be available
for the Nokia 6600 as it is Bluetooth enabled.

I find this to be rather ridiculous and was wondering if anyone
here knows better - will a DKU-5 cable work on the 6600, or any
other cable?

Many thanks in advance

Elessar
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 12:13:40 PM

Elessar wrote:
> I've just finished a call with Nokia's customer support here in
> Australia and was told no compatible data cable will be available
> for the Nokia 6600 as it is Bluetooth enabled.

The logic is that you can get an USB Bluetooth adapter for about 30-50 euros
which is cheaper than most data cables.

If you now buy one USB adapter, you can use it with all the Bluetooth
enabled mobile devices you get in the future. If go for the cable, you will
need a different kind of cable for most devices. For example Nokia has
already two types of cables for the Pop-Port (DKU-2 and DKU-5), so an old
cable can become an obsolete cable.

> I find this to be rather ridiculous and was wondering if anyone
> here knows better - will a DKU-5 cable work on the 6600, or any
> other cable?

There isn't any official data cable for the 6600, because it does not have
Nokia's own proprietary Pop-Port . However, there are unofficial 3rd party
data cables for the 6600 too, such as this one:

http://www.logosunlimited.co.uk/nokia_cables.htm

For more, try: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22+Nokia+6600+%22+data+...

I don't have any experience of those 3rd party cables so I don't know, if
they're any good. I do know that 3rd party batteries have turned out to be a
bit explosive. :)

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

The non-official cables are unweidly, bulky, must be installed under the
battery (so the phone has to be reset every time you want to hook it up) and
doesnt work with PC Suite at all ..

Get a bluetooth adapter ..

"Tero Lehto" <tero-news23@lehto.net> wrote in message
> Elessar wrote:
> > I've just finished a call with Nokia's customer support here in
> > Australia and was told no compatible data cable will be available
> > for the Nokia 6600 as it is Bluetooth enabled.
>

> The logic is that you can get an USB Bluetooth adapter for about 30-50
euros
> which is cheaper than most data cables.
>
> If you now buy one USB adapter, you can use it with all the Bluetooth
> enabled mobile devices you get in the future. If go for the cable, you
will
> need a different kind of cable for most devices. For example Nokia has
> already two types of cables for the Pop-Port (DKU-2 and DKU-5), so an old
> cable can become an obsolete cable.
>
> > I find this to be rather ridiculous and was wondering if anyone
> > here knows better - will a DKU-5 cable work on the 6600, or any
> > other cable?
>

> There isn't any official data cable for the 6600, because it does not have
> Nokia's own proprietary Pop-Port . However, there are unofficial 3rd party
> data cables for the 6600 too, such as this one:
>
> http://www.logosunlimited.co.uk/nokia_cables.htm
>
> For more, try:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22+Nokia+6600+%22+data+...

> I don't have any experience of those 3rd party cables so I don't know, if
> they're any good. I do know that 3rd party batteries have turned out to be
> bit explosive. :)
>
> --
> Tero Lehto
> http://lehto.net/tero/

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 1:52:47 PM

On 12/04/2004, Elessar wrote in message <s0pec.5095$ED.1822@news-
server.bigpond.net.au>:

> I've just finished a call with Nokia's customer support here in
> Australia and was told no compatible data cable will be available
> for the Nokia 6600 as it is Bluetooth enabled.
>
> I find this to be rather ridiculous and was wondering if anyone
> here knows better - will a DKU-5 cable work on the 6600, or any
> other cable?

The reason there are no compatible data cables for the 6600 is
that the 6600's case doesn't have any data sockets. You'd have
to open it up to plug something in.

The Nokia can sent and receive data by bluetooth, infra-red, and
over the air. I think Nokia thought that that was enough.

Simon.
--
Using pre-release version of newsreader.
Please tell me if it does weird things.