Sign in with
Your question

My new 2000$ Gaming PC Need Help!

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2012 6:45:08 PM

More about : 2000 gaming

April 1, 2012 7:04:52 PM

Looks pretty good. I would get a Corsair AX850 over that power supply (or XFX 850). Cooler Master tends to be hit or miss depending on the series and even their "good" PSU's aren't as good as a good Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, or PC Power And Cooling.

With a TDP of 195 Watts, I doubt you would need more than a quality 850 Watt to run even two GTX 680's in SLI.

Power consumption:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-3way-sli-...

All that being said, why not wait a couple weeks for Ivy Bridge?
m
l
April 1, 2012 7:33:34 PM

Quote:
All that being said, why not wait a couple weeks for Ivy Bridge?

Yes, i was also considering waiting a bit for ivy bridge... but, i was not sure when it would come out..

Thx for your input mate. i will consider looking into those 2 PSUs.

Also i am planning on connecting my 55inch HD TV Along with the 24 inch monitor to this video card Will i need higher then a 850w PSU for that or it doesn't matter?

Any more input would be great! Need more feedback!
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2012 3:11:11 AM

Anyone else have other thoughts on this setup??
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 3:13:49 AM

i5-2500k > i7-2700k for gaming. HT actually lowers fps in some cases.
m
l
April 2, 2012 3:30:52 AM

I agree with azeem. the i5 will be all you need for gaming. You only need an i7 if you are going to be doing multitasking with well threaded apps, like with video and audio editing.

And I agree you should wait for Ivy Bridge. Even if you don't find the CPUs are worth it over Sandy Bridge, you will be able to get Sandy Bridge cheaper as Ivy Bridge is supposed to replace the Sandy Bridge price points. (i5-3570K replacing i5-2500K, i7-3770K replacing i7-2600K, etc.)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 5:47:09 AM

Quote:
http://epluskeys.com/blog/technology/intel-ivy-bridge-2...

New Intel Ivy Bridge 2012 Processor Final Release Date

The New Generation of Speedy Processors by the great intel is on the way to release now. The “launch date” for the new Ivy Bridge processors is final now. Intel is preparing to come up with entire series of processors having Core i5 and Core i7 in it. This new release will be launched on 29th of April 2012. The 7-series chipset motheboard based on the Z77, Z75, H77 and B75 Express chipsets will come out the same day while the enterprise class including Intel Q77 and Q75 will be around June 3. And the Intel Core i3 and Intel Pentium CPU that will build on the architecture of Ivy Bridge is the last in the lineup and schedule for the holidays in the 2012 finale.
m
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 5:53:08 AM

Sh4x said:
I would like some feedback on this gaming setup, let me know what i should change and what not. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Budget for Tower excluding the monitor: 2000-2200$

Processor Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 240GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 1006MHZ 2GB 6.0GBPS GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 Z68 LGA1155 ATX
Processor: Intel Core I7 2700K
Case : Coolermaster Storm Trooper
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

That's a good build but the 2700K and 16GB of RAM aren't needed for a gaming rig - drop that to the 2500K and 8GB of RAM and invest that money in getting a secondary HD - something around 2TB would be good. Also a 240GB Sandforce drive will give you nothing but problems. Drop that to a 128GB.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 6:51:26 AM

g-unit1111 said:
That's a good build but the 2700K and 16GB of RAM aren't needed for a gaming rig - drop that to the 2500K and 8GB of RAM and invest that money in getting a secondary HD - something around 2TB would be good. Also a 240GB Sandforce drive will give you nothing but problems. Drop that to a 128GB.

Not to undermine your advice, but I don't think he will have problems.
m
l
April 2, 2012 7:06:13 AM

You've received a lot of great feedback so far. I'll try to summarize it while adding my own input.

Processor Cooling: Thermaltake Frio http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Quieter, cheaper, and better cooling than the H100 from what I've heard

SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 240GB (Any 240GB will do)

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 (any GTX 680 will do)

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 Z68 LGA1155 ATX (Any Asus, Gigabyte, or ASRock Z68 mobo over $148 will do)

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K

Case : Coolermaster Storm Trooper (only you can decide this because it's a matter of personal taste)

PSU: Corsair HX850

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 (Any 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill, Muskin, Kingston, or Corsair 1600CL9 or faster will do.)

Monitor: BENQ XL2420T (They 3D monitor choice is your call). I'd get a cheaper one on Newegg, but that doesn't make that the right decision).

Some of the above changes should save you a couple bucks if that matters to you.
m
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
April 3, 2012 12:00:59 AM

azeem40 said:
Not to undermine your advice, but I don't think he will have problems.

I've never had good luck with Sandforce drives - the Intel drive I have still gives me a few problems and BSODs but the M4 I've had has been completely problem free, I would buy another one in half a second.

Quote:
Processor Cooling: Thermaltake Frio http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835106150
Quieter, cheaper, and better cooling than the H100 from what I've heard

I would not recommend an H100 - the Thermaltake fan is fine, a similar style fan I really like is the Akasa Venom Voodoo: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14775/cpu-aka-07/Akas...

Quote:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 (Any 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill, Muskin, Kingston, or Corsair 1600CL9 or faster will do.)

16GB isn't needed on a gaming rig but watch the tall heat sinks should you choose the Vengeance. The other brands do not have that issue.
m
l
April 3, 2012 12:08:52 AM

g-unit1111 said:
...the Thermaltake fan is fine, a similar style fan I really like is the Akasa Venom Voodoo: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14775/cpu-aka-07/Akas...

16GB isn't needed on a gaming rig but watch the tall heat sinks should you choose the Vengeance. The other brands do not have that issue.
I think I'd go with the Akasa Venom and some of the yellow Geil RAM on Newegg. Nobody else has black-and-yellow. That's why I'd go for it. But you'd have to check the heatsink clearance and that Geil Corsar memory seems a bit expensive.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:04:02 AM

I don't agree with frozonic's CPU cooler, SSD, or PSU choices. An HX850 is plenty for the PSU and gold/bronze is not gonna save you a tangible amount of money.

He might know something about 3D monitors, so I won't presume to say anything there. I'd go cheap though...but I'm a bargain hunter more than a top-of-the-line enthusiast.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:23:51 AM

@frozonic--there's another downside to your CPU cooler that you're neglecting: Price, although that's not the OP's top concern.

The SSD is very good. It's the RAID 0 w/o TRIM that I don't like. I've never seen an SSD that makes care much about doubling it's data rates. Moreover, you lose 4 seconds on startup to enabling a RAID controller. That kind of negates part of the bootup benefit. And I'm not a fan of halving the reliability.

Wow! I didn't know a 950W PC Power & Cooling PSU was that cheap! Great find! It's not modular, but I've never cared much about that. My case has plenty of space to hide the cables. But isn't 950W a bit useless? I'd prefer the 750W MkII for $90 since it's all dual GTX 680's will use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Can you link the site that says dual GTX 680's needs a 950W PSU? What I've heard is they are 195W max (NVidia product page)--and that's conservative enough to cover overclocking. Even using Sandy Bridge-E @ 4.2GHz, it's under 300W load when not overclocked and under 500W for SLI. You're saying it'll draw an additional 400W when overclocked? I think that's very excessive.
Single: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...
SLI: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli...
210W card power w/ OC: http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gtx-680-2gb-overclocki...

The tool out there that allows the most power usage only allows 250W: http://www.gpureview.com/gpureviews-gtx-680-overclockin...

So that still puts us at under 750W usage for those brief periods where it's maxed out. And it is OKAY for a PSU to hit 98% usage for two seconds every hour and sit at 70% usage the rest of the time during gaming sessions.

I guess if they sold a PCP&C 850W, that is what would be perfect to recommend. And if the OP ever decides to go with a water cooling loop (real WC, not H100), then the 950W will be useful.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:26:06 AM

Quote:
and about the monitor... i will do a little effor and try to get more money to buy the nvidia vision 2 monitors, why? those things are amazing, my neighboor is running 3 of them on nvidia surround 3D with 3X GTX 580 and its just amazing, and i buit a PC about a week ago with 3way sli GTX 680 and ordered 3x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824009300 ....sadly, neweeg only allowed me to buy two so rigth now i am only running one and i will order the other one in a week....anyways i just wanted to share my experience with those monitors and tell that they really change things while gamiing, i can describe it as Glasses Free 3D, why? because it practically is, i mean, the screen stays REALLY bright and the lenses are VERY WIDE and confortable, you wount even notice you have them on! ;) 
I really like 3D. I need to get a job that allows me to spend more time gaming at home so that I could make use of a setup like that because it sounds awesome.

Btw, how hard do the GTX 680's get worked driving that many screens. What I mean is that if you play something less demanding, like Skyrim, can a single GTX 680 drive both 3D screens? (Have you tried it with SLI "on" and "off"?) I'm curious if 1, 2, or 3 GPUs are necessary. I figure that only Crysis 2, Metro 2033, and BF3 will use that much horsepower.

Also Tom's Hardware's editor might be interested to hear about your Ultra High-End setup since that's a performance scenario that doesn't get discussed too frequently.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 4, 2012 3:17:02 AM

If it can handle 5760x1200 on ultra at 50fps, it can handle two.
m
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
April 4, 2012 3:33:04 AM

dalauder said:
I don't agree with frozonic's CPU cooler, SSD, or PSU choices. An HX850 is plenty for the PSU and gold/bronze is not gonna save you a tangible amount of money.

He might know something about 3D monitors, so I won't presume to say anything there. I'd go cheap though...but I'm a bargain hunter more than a top-of-the-line enthusiast.

PSU is a pretty decent choice - anything made by Seasonic is good no question. However I'll disagree in that I *LOVE* my M4 - the drive is blazing fast and problem free (no Sandforce BS - yay!). As for cooler that's debatable. Noctua makes quality and proven stuff where Phanteks is an up-and-coming manufacturer - whether they outperform Noctua in the long run remains to be seen.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 4, 2012 4:08:04 AM

An 850W can provide enough amps.
m
l
April 4, 2012 6:42:27 AM

g-unit1111 said:
PSU is a pretty decent choice - anything made by Seasonic is good no question. However I'll disagree in that I *LOVE* my M4 - the drive is blazing fast and problem free (no Sandforce BS - yay!). As for cooler that's debatable. Noctua makes quality and proven stuff where Phanteks is an up-and-coming manufacturer - whether they outperform Noctua in the long run remains to be seen.
You're missing my point. I disagree with the RAID 0 w/ no TRIM for the Crucial M4's. I completely agree with the choice of M4's.

I don't disagree with "Seasonic". I disagree with the price since several cheaper units by Corsair, Antec, or XFX get the job done VERY well.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with the cooler. I just think the Thermaltake Frio gets the best bang-for-your-buck. It keeps pace with the best of the dual tower coolers while periodically coming in at $45 and looking nice. That's worth it when you consider it doesn't block your RAM slots.
m
l
April 4, 2012 6:47:22 AM

Quote:
i havent try using both 3D screen, i am currently using one screen with a single GTX 680, next week i will order the other screen i need to make a 3D surround setup and install the other 2 GTX 680, i will PM you with some results!

Btw, i only play the games you mentioned :lol:  thats why i ordered 3
Don't just PM me, you should start a thread (and PM me). I'm pretty sure any enthusiast would be happy to visit your thread with surround 3D and tri-SLI GTX 680's. I'm pretty sure a ton of people would love to see what benchmarks look like both in 2D and 3D and with 1, 2, and 3 cards (obviously you need 2 cards to do 3D surround to "6" displays).

I'd also like to see the difference between the various "Very High" and "Ultra", AA, and DX11 settings. I suppose that's asking for a full weekend of benching out of you. Well, let me know if you do it.

Well your graphics hardware makes sense now that I know what you play.

Quote:
...i read somewhere that a single GTX680 needs 39amps on the 12v rail, and most 850w psu will not provide the 78amps that will be needed...
It might have been 39A for a CPU + GTX 680, suggesting a 500W PSU to use one. But since 19A would be for the CPU, that's really just another 19A or so for the GPU, which brings us to 58A, which is commonly available on 750W PSUs (62.4A on the Silencer MkII).

For myself, I think the Corsair TX series is good enough and I'd just get the $70 Corsair TX750 V2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
April 4, 2012 8:43:06 PM

dalauder said:
You're missing my point. I disagree with the RAID 0 w/ no TRIM for the Crucial M4's. I completely agree with the choice of M4's.

I don't disagree with "Seasonic". I disagree with the price since several cheaper units by Corsair, Antec, or XFX get the job done VERY well.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with the cooler. I just think the Thermaltake Frio gets the best bang-for-your-buck. It keeps pace with the best of the dual tower coolers while periodically coming in at $45 and looking nice. That's worth it when you consider it doesn't block your RAM slots.

Ah, I misread that - I agree that it's really pointless to RAID SSDs as it's more likely to lead to a drive failing on you and you won't notice any sort of real performance gain from that.

I definitely don't doubt that on the PSU - I have a Corsair CX430 and it gets the job done for what I need it to do, and it was a steal for what I paid for it.

I'm not the biggest fan of Thermaltake by any means - I've used some of their cases and they have so much cheap plastic in them that I eventually quit buying them. A similar style fan to the Frio that I really like is the Akasa Venom Voodoo: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14775/cpu-aka-07/Akas...

I wish I had seen that article on the main page before I bought my EVGA one. :lol: 
m
l
April 4, 2012 10:51:29 PM

This isn't the first time I've mentioned the Frio and someone's mentioned the Akasa Venom Voodoo. I like that cooler a lot (largely on aesthetics). If I were doing a new build now, I'd probably get that, some yellow Geil DDR3, and a black mobo (GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 for $170 on Superbiiz).
m
l
April 6, 2012 7:42:55 AM

I'm closing this tab in my browser. PM me if you come back.
m
l
!