CPU PROBLEM HELP!

G

ok here it goes, so a year ago i let this guy build my computer and he put a ridiculous amount of thermal paste on my cpu causing it to go to high temperatures. so i just now decided i would reapply the themal paste with artic 5. so as i try to take the heatsink off the cpu, the cpu comes off with it!
so i check if any pins are bent, luckily none are, but the heatink was stuck to the cpu, because so much thermal paste was used. so i read around alot of the the people say to use the blow drier method i tried that but it didnt work the cpu wouldnt even budge. so one guy said to dunk the cpu and the heatink in aisoportoyal alchol and i tried that and it worked!. so i cleaned the heatsink and cpu but ther was still stains i couldnt get off. so i said *** it, and just reapplied the artic 5 thermal paste. i put like a pea drop and put everything back together but now the computer wont boot up.....
wtf. the cpu fan spins and everything but the computer wont boot up. like the windows screen wont boot up.

Solution

Even if you use no thermal paste, the system should still boot, you probably didnt insert the CPU in correctly which can be very dangerous and bend motherboard pins. You can run P95 if you want and check your temps to make sure they are ok.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Agree with the others, beeps and a dirt cheap sempron to test. It isn't uncommon for a heatsink to stick to the cpu, I usually find a slight wiggling twisting action is the best to break the bond.

G

fixed it i guess the cpu wasnt locked in all the way, but maybe i didnt use enough thermal paste when i just reapllied it now i used very little amount maybe less than a grain of rice. i dunno.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Even if you use no thermal paste, the system should still boot, you probably didnt insert the CPU in correctly which can be very dangerous and bend motherboard pins. You can run P95 if you want and check your temps to make sure they are ok.

Solution

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
A grain or two of rice is about right probably, you want a very fine film, just enough to fill in imperfections. Glad all seems to be working, straightening out pins on socket 940 cpus isn't much fun:)