Sign in with
Your question

XFX HD 6450 too slow!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2012 2:00:16 PM

Hello,

I am building an htpc. I have an HD 5450 that I wanted to use as a discrete graphics board. It works great, except the heatsink does not fit inside my small case.

I ordered an XFX hs 6450 and installed it. It fits inside, but runs slower than the 5450.

I can not figure out whether it is my fault or something else. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, etc.

The real issue is watchespn.com. That site is incredibly demanding. Every other flash site run s fine even with the on-board graphics. For me, it only reaches highest quality with the 5450.

So, should I return the card? Should I get a different 6450?

I suppose I should just leave the case open. That is too ugly, though.

Help!

BTW:

Intel G620 processor
Foxconn H67S MB
4 GB
Windows 7 32 bit
320 GB 2.5 HD
Apex MI-100 case

More about : xfx 6450 slow

January 25, 2012 9:54:55 PM

Is your Adobe Flash up to date? What about your Graphics Drivers? What browser are you running it on?
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:22:28 PM

The 6450 is almost twice as good as a 5450 (at least in games, although it's not much of a gaming card :p ) it's probably software related unless you just got a bad card, what is the temps on the card? the 5450 when used you had the case open giving better airflow to the passive card. i believe some 6450's are passive as well and it may not be able to breathe if it barely fits.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2012 1:18:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have the latest Flash 11.1. I tried both the older AMD drivers that came on the CD and then updated to the latest from the website.

I tried Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer. It makes no difference on any of them.

This is why I am so puzzled.

Vettedude said:
Is your Adobe Flash up to date? What about your Graphics Drivers? What browser are you running it on?

m
l
January 26, 2012 1:20:59 PM

omega21xx said:
The 6450 is almost twice as good as a 5450 (at least in games, although it's not much of a gaming card :p ) it's probably software related unless you just got a bad card, what is the temps on the card? the 5450 when used you had the case open giving better airflow to the passive card. i believe some 6450's are passive as well and it may not be able to breathe if it barely fits.

I should add that the case is open. They are both passive cards. The temp of the card doesn't seem abnormally high. (I think it was showing around 30 C) It also is weak from the very beginning--so it doesn't seem to overheat and stop working.

A problem like this is almost always a software problem, but I have no idea what could be wrong. It is a fresh install of Win 7-32 bit that is only a week old.

As many different things as I have tried, I want to blame a hardware glitch.
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:26:59 PM

Download GPU-Z and post a pic of the results. I've seen a lot of cards not quite seated completely work, but work at a very low bus interface which effectively cripples the card.
m
l
January 26, 2012 8:03:31 PM

bystander said:
Download GPU-Z and post a pic of the results. I've seen a lot of cards not quite seated completely work, but work at a very low bus interface which effectively cripples the card.

Thanks for the great tip! Here you go. When I run the 6450 in my desktop, I see a 1.0 VDDC. I don't know why it is different on my htpc.

m
l
January 26, 2012 10:26:25 PM

bystander said:
Hmm. While it is showing the correct bus interface, it has a "?" next to it. I've never seen the ? mark before. Perhaps it's not seated correctly, but normally when it's not, it will show a lower bus interface speed.

It gives me a "?" on my desktop (ASRock H67M) and draws 1 V of power. It also seems to use more memory.
m
l
January 26, 2012 10:30:31 PM

1 V pretty common on many cards.

I can tell you that at one point, there was a bug with flash that would pin the voltage at 1 V (normally 1.1 V on the card I had at the time) and reduce the clocks of the card, but it only happened when running a flash video with I.E. and that was a year ago.
m
l
January 27, 2012 12:54:16 AM

bystander said:
1 V pretty common on many cards.

I can tell you that at one point, there was a bug with flash that would pin the voltage at 1 V (normally 1.1 V on the card I had at the time) and reduce the clocks of the card, but it only happened when running a flash video with I.E. and that was a year ago.

Thanks for your help! I think I'll just send it back and try a different card. I don't know why my system doesn't like this one and it is not worth any more effort.
m
l
January 27, 2012 7:40:55 AM

kelru2000 said:
It gives me a "?" on my desktop (ASRock H67M) and draws 1 V of power. It also seems to use more memory.

when you press "?" it will start a render test , so its normal to see it there ..
m
l
!