Evil, Evil Singlepoint!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Firstly.................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
GGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Right, that's better! Just a brief background, I have used Singlepoint for
about the last 3 years and on the whole it's been fine, a few niggles but
nothing worth moaning about. I'm on contract and last month I decided to
reduce the cost of my package as I was given a work phone. Singlepoint bless
them tried to tell me that it was in my best interest not to reduce my
package quite so dramatically, however I reassured them that I did actually
know what I need and so the alteration took place. In theory my phone bill
should have been around £32ish this month as I've been quite careful with
the usage, so I was a little perturbed when I got a bill for £62 on
Saturday! I check all the listed items and I've been stung for a whopping
£31 of extra data calls on WAP, because apparently I accessed 4.5mb of data
at the back end of last month. I know for a fact that I haven't knowingly
accessed any downloads or sites for such a large data file, so I contacted
Singlepoint to make them aware, they said that I had download that much data
as the IMEI for the data download corresponded with my phone. I informed
them that I as far as I was concerned I hadn't and asked them to tell me
what or where had been accessed and I was told that they are unable to make
me aware of the site/page/data that had been access and they were unable to
tell me how long the access of data lasted, they went on to say that either
I had accessed the data, someone had used my phone to access the data or I
had accessed the data unwittingly, so now here's my question (sorry for
rambling on!?!) If I had access a WAP site/page such as google and it was
just left sitting there with no other requested for other page or info being
made, would that continue to access data to the total of excess of 4.5mb? I
was of the opinion that if the page was just left hanging then the data
count would not increase is this correct?

Yours, hoping someone can assist!

Chegs!
7 answers Last reply
More about evil evil singlepoint
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    Well I had a problem with them too, not sure if you read my previous post,
    but they increased part of my bill by 1100%, make sure you get EVERYTHING in
    writing, as mysteriously when I phoned, certain things had gone missing from
    their records.

    2nd I called in trading standards, they tried every trick in the book to
    avoid crediting me, and Trading standards worked within 5 days, and not the
    6 months I had tried with singlepoint.

    I would also suggest sending letters recorded delivery and to Vodafone at
    Newbury.

    I know it doesn't help you immediate problem, but might help in getting some
    sense out of them.

    Graham

    "CheggersPop" <vizbuks@vizbuks.con> wrote in message

    Firstly.................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
    > GGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!
    >
    > Right, that's better! Just a brief background, I have used Singlepoint for
    > about the last 3 years and on the whole it's been fine, a few niggles but
    > nothing worth moaning about. I'm on contract and last month I decided to
    > reduce the cost of my package as I was given a work phone. Singlepoint
    bless
    > them tried to tell me that it was in my best interest not to reduce my
    > package quite so dramatically, however I reassured them that I did
    actually
    > know what I need and so the alteration took place. In theory my phone bill
    > should have been around £32ish this month as I've been quite careful with
    > the usage, so I was a little perturbed when I got a bill for £62 on
    > Saturday! I check all the listed items and I've been stung for a whopping
    > £31 of extra data calls on WAP, because apparently I accessed 4.5mb of
    data
    > at the back end of last month. I know for a fact that I haven't knowingly
    > accessed any downloads or sites for such a large data file, so I contacted
    > Singlepoint to make them aware, they said that I had download that much
    data
    > as the IMEI for the data download corresponded with my phone. I informed
    > them that I as far as I was concerned I hadn't and asked them to tell me
    > what or where had been accessed and I was told that they are unable to
    make
    > me aware of the site/page/data that had been access and they were unable
    > tell me how long the access of data lasted, they went on to say that
    either
    > I had accessed the data, someone had used my phone to access the data or I
    > had accessed the data unwittingly, so now here's my question (sorry for
    > rambling on!?!) If I had access a WAP site/page such as google and it was
    > just left sitting there with no other requested for other page or info
    being
    > made, would that continue to access data to the total of excess of 4.5mb?
    > was of the opinion that if the page was just left hanging then the data
    > count would not increase is this correct?
    >

    > Yours, hoping someone can assist!
    >
    > Chegs!

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "CheggersPop" <vizbuks@vizbuks.con> wrote in message

    Firstly.................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
    > GGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!
    >
    > Right, that's better! Just a brief background, I have used Singlepoint for
    > about the last 3 years and on the whole it's been fine, a few niggles but
    > nothing worth moaning about. I'm on contract and last month I decided to
    > reduce the cost of my package as I was given a work phone. Singlepoint
    bless
    > them tried to tell me that it was in my best interest not to reduce my
    > package quite so dramatically, however I reassured them that I did
    actually
    > know what I need and so the alteration took place. In theory my phone bill
    > should have been around £32ish this month as I've been quite careful with
    > the usage, so I was a little perturbed when I got a bill for £62 on
    > Saturday! I check all the listed items and I've been stung for a whopping
    > £31 of extra data calls on WAP, because apparently I accessed 4.5mb of
    data
    > at the back end of last month. I know for a fact that I haven't knowingly
    > accessed any downloads or sites for such a large data file, so I contacted
    > Singlepoint to make them aware, they said that I had download that much
    data
    > as the IMEI for the data download corresponded with my phone. I informed
    > them that I as far as I was concerned I hadn't and asked them to tell me
    > what or where had been accessed and I was told that they are unable to
    make
    > me aware of the site/page/data that had been access and they were unable
    > tell me how long the access of data lasted, they went on to say that
    either
    > I had accessed the data, someone had used my phone to access the data or I
    > had accessed the data unwittingly, so now here's my question (sorry for
    > rambling on!?!) If I had access a WAP site/page such as google and it was
    > just left sitting there with no other requested for other page or info
    being
    > made, would that continue to access data to the total of excess of 4.5mb?
    > was of the opinion that if the page was just left hanging then the data
    > count would not increase is this correct?
    >

    > Yours, hoping someone can assist!
    >
    > Chegs!

    Dialup WAP as opposed to GPRS Wap would take a HELL of a long time to
    download 4.5Mb infact my entire GPRS Wap monthly usage and i use it quite a
    bit for cinema times, football scores, news, weather, etc is only around
    600k!

    It does sounds like the sort of dirty underhand tactics Singlepoint use.
    Personally i'd tell them to either give you hard proof of the data you've
    allegedly downloaded or ask them for a PAC and move elsewhere.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "CheggersPop" <vizbuks@vizbuks.con> wrote in message

    Firstly.................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
    > GGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

    <snipped>

    > Yours, hoping someone can assist!

    It's a tricky one because assuming payment hasn't already been made then
    you're risking a negative credit rating if you dispute payment. You would
    quite legally be entitled to hold back the disputed amount but, the chances
    are, you would have to make your own entry on the records of the 2 main
    credit reference agencies to explain the situation.

    The other problem is that they aren't a good company to protest to - they
    won't answer even recorded delivery letters and telephone questions will be
    worse than useless because frustration will be the only result.

    Maybe you need to contact Trading Standards? I'm not sure if TS will be
    interested - your problem could be framed simply as a private dispute.
    Still, 4.5 megs is a huge amount to download unknowingly with a GSM phone.
    It does sound like some sort of billing cock-up to me.

    Along with DSG they must be the most prolific company for well documented
    poor customer service. Assuming that you knew a few years ago that you would
    be using Singlepoint why did you go ahead with the contract?

    Gareth.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "CheggersPop" <vizbuks@vizbuks.con> wrote in message

    Firstly.................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG
    > GGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!
    >
    >If I had access a WAP site/page such as google and it was
    > just left sitting there with no other requested for other page or info
    being
    > made, would that continue to access data to the total of excess of 4.5mb?
    > was of the opinion that if the page was just left hanging then the data
    > count would not increase is this correct?
    >

    > Yours, hoping someone can assist!

    Have you looked to see if your phone has a GPRS data counter? It should tell
    you if you have in fact used that amount of data or not.

    > Chegs!

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    "CheggersPop" <vizbuks@vizbuks.con> wrote:

    > I contacted
    > Singlepoint to make them aware, they said that I had download that much data
    > as the IMEI for the data download corresponded with my phone. I informed
    > them that I as far as I was concerned I hadn't and asked them to tell me
    > what or where had been accessed and I was told that they are unable to make
    > me aware of the site/page/data that had been access and they were unable to
    > tell me how long the access of data lasted

    This is, in fact, bullshit. You should be able to retrieve all this
    information by making an access request under s.7(1) of the Data
    Protection Act 1998. A useful URL for you:

    http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?id=89

    Jon
    --
    SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
    Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:22:55 +0100, Jon S Green <jonsg@deadspam.com>
    wrote:

    >"CheggersPop" <vizbuks@vizbuks.con> wrote:
    >
    >> I contacted
    >> Singlepoint to make them aware, they said that I had download that much data
    >> as the IMEI for the data download corresponded with my phone. I informed
    >> them that I as far as I was concerned I hadn't and asked them to tell me
    >> what or where had been accessed and I was told that they are unable to make
    >> me aware of the site/page/data that had been access and they were unable to
    >> tell me how long the access of data lasted
    >
    >This is, in fact, bullshit. You should be able to retrieve all this
    >information by making an access request under s.7(1) of the Data
    >Protection Act 1998. A useful URL for you:
    >
    >http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?id=89

    They'll probably weant to charge you £15.

    --Nick.
    --
    http://www.sendit.com/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games?
    icq: 9235201 -- Hayn on dal.net - Mmmm... chocolate!

    > >http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?id=89
    >
    > They'll probably weant to charge you £15.

    I think the maximum charge allowed is £10.

Nokia