Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$500 Budget Gaming PC (Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2)

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 2, 2012 1:12:55 AM

Hey there, first time poster. Was looking to building a new rig/upgrading my current one on the focus of playing Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 when it eventually releases. Currently I am playing Star Wars Old Republic and have few issues on low settings, but I'd really like to get a system together that I can play games on mid settings with little to no issues. High settings would be great, but I am realistic. Anyways, would appreciate any input.


Approximate Purchase Date: Anywhere from now to early May would be preferable

Budget Range: $600-700 After Rebates (Edited)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the Internet, Music, Movies

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, whatever else suggested from my list below.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, TigerDirect

Country: U.S.A.

Parts Preferences: No preferences

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: I have a tendency to multi-task and leave browsers open. Would like to re-use parts for a cheaper build. Obviously my hard drives will be included in the build. I like the case, but think I might benefit from a bigger power supply, at least for future upgrades. Will have to upgrade my operating system as mine only supports up to 4gigs of ram (I assume most recommendations are going to point me to getting 8 gigs).


---------------


Here's my current system. Let me know if you need more information. This system was assembled late 2007/early 2008 on a cheap budget.


Operating System : Windows XP SP3
Case : RaidMax Aztec ATX-619WBP Gaming Case - ATX Mid Tower (with added MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Side Fan)
Power Supply : 500W (came with case)
Motherboard : ASUS M2N68-AM Plus
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core
Memory : 4G, 2x G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR 800 (PC2 6400) (with Heat Spreads)
Optical Drive : Lite-On 20x DVD+R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05
Video Card : nVidia EVGA GeForce GTS 450
Hard Drive(s) :
- Western Digital WDC WD3200BB-22KEA0 (320G, 7200 RPM)
- Maxtor 6H500R0 (500G, 7200 RPM ATA/133)
- Seagate Barracuda ST310005 28AS SCSI Disk Device (1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Thank you for your suggestions!
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 9:21:40 AM

That's a low budget and you need pretty much everything except a HDD, case, and optical.
You need to consider replacing the case with something more modern with better air flow, but we'll leave it alone for now.

MMO fan has linked you to the Canadian version of newegg.

If this is your exact motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68AM/

The x4 965 is not on the supported list, but the 955 is. Maybe if you get the latest BIOS upgrade you will get lucky... they operate at the same voltage.

That would save you quite a bit.

You need to read the PSU guide linked in my sig.

1st suggestion:

  • MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card
  • Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE ...
  • AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    TOTAL: $484.97

    That maximizes your GPU and gives you an adequate CPU and good PSU.

    Second suggestion:

  • MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
  • Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
  • Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
  • GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    TOTAL: $481.95

    No overclocking, but you get USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, 8GB of RAM, and enough GPU for your listed resolution.
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 2, 2012 9:22:09 AM

    Oh, and you really need Win 7 somehow.
    m
    0
    l
    April 2, 2012 9:44:34 AM

    Proximon said:
    That's a low budget and you need pretty much everything except a HDD, case, and optical.
    You need to consider replacing the case with something more modern with better air flow, but we'll leave it alone for now.

    MMO fan has linked you to the Canadian version of newegg.

    If this is your exact motherboard:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68AM/

    The x4 965 is not on the supported list, but the 955 is. Maybe if you get the latest BIOS upgrade you will get lucky... they operate at the same voltage.

    That would save you quite a bit.

    You need to read the PSU guide linked in my sig.

    1st suggestion:

  • MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card
  • Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE ...
  • AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    TOTAL: $484.97

    That maximizes your GPU and gives you an adequate CPU and good PSU.

    Second suggestion:

  • MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
  • Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
  • Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
  • GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    TOTAL: $481.95

    No overclocking, but you get USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, 8GB of RAM, and enough GPU for your listed resolution.

  • AMD Phenom II 965 and AMD Phenom II 955 are identical CPUs and are both AM3 compatible. OP can just change the .ca to .com genius and maybe OP lives in Canada.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 2, 2012 10:04:28 AM

    t_d said:


    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, TigerDirect

    Country: U.S.A.



    MMO Fan said:
    AMD Phenom II 965 and AMD Phenom II 955 are identical CPUs and are both AM3 compatible. OP can just change the .ca to .com genius and maybe OP lives in Canada.


    Thanks for the compliment but last I checked I was a couple points shy :lol: 

    I encourage you to research a little thing we call the CPUID.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID

    As with the memory, if the motherboard doesn't recognize a part, it won't know how to treat it. If the CPU were not supplied the correct voltage, you can see how that would be bad, I'm sure.

    m
    0
    l
    April 2, 2012 10:31:23 AM

    Proximon said:
    Thanks for the compliment but last I checked I was a couple points shy :lol: 

    I encourage you to research a little thing we call the CPUID.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPUID

    As with the memory, if the motherboard doesn't recognize a part, it won't know how to treat it. If the CPU were not supplied the correct voltage, you can see how that would be bad, I'm sure.

    OP HAS AM3 MOBO PHENOM II X4 965 WILL WORK JUST FINE FOR HIS MOBO AND PLAYING D3
    m
    0
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    April 2, 2012 10:48:52 AM

    Hello.
    Your motherboard is actually: M2N68-AM PLUS .
    You should upgrade your BIOS to version 1804.

    M2N68-AM PLUS 1804 BIOS
    Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...
    File Size 563,21 (KBytes) 2010.11.22 update
    from: M2N68AM_PLUS Download Section

    this will give you support with a lot of new cpus like: Phenom IIX4 960T (HD96ZTWFK4DGR),3.0GHz,95W,rev.E0,SocketAM3,Quad-Core

    This cpu can also be unlocked to 6 core cpu and it costs $124.99 .
    If you cant unlock it then the best choice (you should do the BIOS update 1804 for any new cpu) Phenom IIX4 960 (HDX960WFK4DGM),3.3GHz,95W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core is your best choice. (as I checked in the cpu support list nor 955 neither 965 is being supported :( .)

    So,
    1. upgrading BIOS to 1804
    2. buy either phenom II x4 960T or Phenom II x4 960.
    3. buy 7850 + antec psu that Proximon suggested.
    4. profit! :p 

    ps: This is as far as your system goes. You really need a new mobo/cpu/ram/gpu/monitor/psu.
    If you want to change your system you should wait and try to make a system with a couple hundreds more $.
    With around $600-$700 you can have a nice system with a new monitor/mobo/cpu/ram/gpu/psu that will be a far better upgrade.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 2, 2012 11:02:10 AM

    t_d,

    Sorry, I was mistaken. Your board is apparently this

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68AM_PL...

    And will NOT accept a Phenom II 955 or 965.

    Going forward I think you need to look at a new board. I have played SWTOR with a i3-2100 and find it works quite well.


    Edit: I see Memnarchon beat me to it :) 
    m
    0
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    April 2, 2012 11:16:41 AM

    Proximon said:
    Going forward I think you need to look at a new board. I have played SWTOR with a i3-2100 and find it works quite well.

    +1 for new system.

    Proximon said:
    Edit: I see Memnarchon beat me to it :) 

    It was an accident. :D 
    You beat me on gpu and psu suggestion. (I was too sleepy to make suggestions when I saw it :p )
    m
    0
    l
    April 2, 2012 10:46:43 PM

    Thanks everyone for the replies so far, I appreciate it.

    I could probably up my budget to $600. I figured I'd probably need a new board. I didn't figure Windows 7 into my budget because a friend of mine thinks he can get me a copy for a discount.

    I've been reading the forums and read that the Intel i5 2500 Quad Core Processor seems to be considered the best bang for you buck at the moment. Is this something I should consider? Unfortunately we don't have any specs on Guild Wars 2 to go off, but I am realistic in not expecting things to be on high settings...I'm just not interested in playing on low settings anymore. I am sure any system that could handle GW2 could handle D3 fine.

    Again, thanks for the replies and keep them coming. I am going to look into updating my BIOS today. Thanks!
    m
    0
    l
    April 2, 2012 11:07:56 PM

    t_d said:
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far, I appreciate it.

    I could probably up my budget to $600. I figured I'd probably need a new board. I didn't figure Windows 7 into my budget because a friend of mine thinks he can get me a copy for a discount.

    I've been reading the forums and read that the Intel i5 2500 Quad Core Processor seems to be considered the best bang for you buck at the moment. Is this something I should consider? Unfortunately we don't have any specs on Guild Wars 2 to go off, but I am realistic in not expecting things to be on high settings...I'm just not interested in playing on low settings anymore. I am sure any system that could handle GW2 could handle D3 fine.

    Again, thanks for the replies and keep them coming. I am going to look into updating my BIOS today. Thanks!

    If it just for easy to run games like D3 and GW2 just drop an Athlon X4 645 in your mobo for 100 buck and add a 6850 or gtx 460 1gb and be done with it there is no need to spend any more to run lower end games like D3 and GW2.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 2, 2012 11:35:02 PM

    You should get as much CPU as you can afford, of course. Having said that you want to strike a balance between CPU power and GPU power. The question really is, "Where is my money best spent to get performance now and in the near future?"

    When you are looking at a larger over-all budget, the i5 2500K or i5 2550K makes a great deal of sense. However, lower budgets get the best benefit from more GPU and less CPU.

    Two references to help you with this are right here at TH.

    CPU guide
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

    GPU Guide
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

    I would use the same general build I listed earlier, except I would use the i3-2130 and perhaps a 7850 if you can squeeze it in. You could also look at an inexpensive Z68 motherboard, so that you could upgrade to a K-series processor later if you felt the need.
    m
    0
    l
    April 10, 2012 5:10:02 AM

    How about this motherboard?

    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    Less than $130 after shipping.


    Also looking at this graphics card

    EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    $115 with Free shipping.


    I'm hoping that in next month or two, there will be some deals for i5 2500k (or 2550k) or the price will drop below $200.
    m
    0
    l
    April 10, 2012 5:35:25 AM

    Proximon said:
    That's a low budget and you need pretty much everything except a HDD, case, and optical.
    You need to consider replacing the case with something more modern with better air flow, but we'll leave it alone for now.

    MMO fan has linked you to the Canadian version of newegg.

    If this is your exact motherboard:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68AM/

    The x4 965 is not on the supported list, but the 955 is. Maybe if you get the latest BIOS upgrade you will get lucky... they operate at the same voltage.

    That would save you quite a bit.

    You need to read the PSU guide linked in my sig.

    1st suggestion:

  • MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card
  • Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE ...
  • AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    TOTAL: $484.97

    That maximizes your GPU and gives you an adequate CPU and good PSU.

    Second suggestion:

  • MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
  • Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
  • Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
  • GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    TOTAL: $481.95

    No overclocking, but you get USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, 8GB of RAM, and enough GPU for your listed resolution.


  • These are actually dang good builds for under 500! Awesome sauce! :hello: 
    m
    0
    l
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 10, 2012 6:32:13 AM

    t_d said:
    How about this motherboard?

    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    Less than $130 after shipping.


    Also looking at this graphics card

    EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    $115 with Free shipping.


    I'm hoping that in next month or two, there will be some deals for i5 2500k (or 2550k) or the price will drop below $200.



    That's a good strategy. I like the board choice, the card is usually not considered a good buy but might be at that price... let me check.

    It's not a bad deal. The problem is that another $10 gets you a lot stronger card in the GTX 460
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    And for just a bit more you can get a 6850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    m
    0
    l
    a c 118 B Homebuilt system
    April 10, 2012 9:01:38 AM

    MMO Fan said:
    OP HAS AM3 MOBO PHENOM II X4 965 WILL WORK JUST FINE FOR HIS MOBO AND PLAYING D3



    If he has an AM2+ board, in theory some of them will support Phenon IIs, but this is done through backwards compatibility, since Phenom IIs were designed to be on the AM3 socket, there are known issues with them being supported on all AM2+ boards, if its not on the list, I would not spend the money on a CPU because its a gamble at best. Phenom II 955 is B2 Stepping, 965 is B3.

    As far as an Athalon II, its a Phenom II without an L3 cache, its crap. Spend the couple extra bucks and get a Phenom II if you decide to go with a Phenom II build.
    m
    0
    l
    April 10, 2012 9:41:09 AM

    nekulturny said:
    If he has an AM2+ board, in theory some of them will support Phenon IIs, but this is done through backwards compatibility, since Phenom IIs were designed to be on the AM3 socket, there are known issues with them being supported on all AM2+ boards, if its not on the list, I would not spend the money on a CPU because its a gamble at best. Phenom II 955 is B2 Stepping, 965 is B3.

    As far as an Athalon II, its a Phenom II without an L3 cache, its crap. Spend the couple extra bucks and get a Phenom II if you decide to go with a Phenom II build.

    You guys are always backward. OP buy the Phenom II x4 965 try it if it works great if not you would of needed a new mobo anyway end of story and AMD 965 is a great CPU for what you need.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 118 B Homebuilt system
    April 10, 2012 9:50:57 AM

    MMO Fan said:
    You guys are always backward. OP buy the Phenom II x4 965 try it if it works great if not you would of needed a new mobo anyway end of story and AMD 965 is a great CPU for what you need.


    I never said the Phenom II is a bad CPU. LOL, My signature should tell you that. What I'm saying is that a 965 will not work on an AM2+ socket motherboard.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 10, 2012 7:18:30 PM

    Anyone is welcome to present a workable answer to the OPs questions. They are NOT allowed to hijack a thread to promote their favorite platform.

    m
    0
    l
    April 10, 2012 9:00:01 PM

    Proximon said:
    Anyone is welcome to present a workable answer to the OPs questions. They are NOT allowed to hijack a thread to promote their favorite platform.

    OP already has an AMD platform lets try and work it I mean for Star Wars Old Republic, D3, and Guild Wars 2 will not need a muscle rig to max out. There are Phenom II x4 CPUs that fit OP mobo and work now it's just a point of finding whats for sale. I recommend and Nvidia Geforce GPU in this situation for OP being that he will want to play D3 and SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 will play on any decent mid range GPU just perfect so lets save this guy some cash and salvage what we can for him.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 118 B Homebuilt system
    April 10, 2012 9:26:38 PM

    Proximon said:
    Anyone is welcome to present a workable answer to the OPs questions. They are NOT allowed to hijack a thread to promote their favorite platform.



    Well, I think the issue was fairly well resolved on its own without your intervention, but I guess theres no point in arguing with a mod. The fire was put out while you were running to find a hydrant to hook up a hose. I'm not trying to "promote my favorite platform", although this line can be easily obscured considering what could be seen as one's favorite may also be a practical platform for the OPs needs.

    I say again, at the risk of another moderation edit. The Phenom II 965 with an AM3+ motherboard is a good choice for a well rounded system.

    CPU- 965BE- $125 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    Mobo- Asrock 970- $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    RAM- 8GB kit- $54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    Video Card- $250- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


    Simple and powerful.
    m
    0
    l
    April 10, 2012 11:36:19 PM

    Hey, again. Thanks for all the replies. No intentions on anyone starting a flame war. I appreciate all the suggestions and have been looking at every one of them. At the moment, here's some of the things I am looking at due to newegg having some deals. I'm expanding my budget due to getting my taxes back. I'm looking to build something that'll last, but I'll have room to upgrade if need be.

    ---------------------------------------

    $120 w/Rebate and FREE Shipping
    - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    $215 with Promo Code and FREE Shipping (EXP 4/10)
    - Intel Core i5-2550K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Without IGP BX80623i52550K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    $122 with $8 shipping = $130
    - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    $99 with FREE Shipping
    - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    $100 with Promo Code and FREE Shipping (EXP 4/10)
    - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    (newegg isn't showing a promo code for this deal, but it's apart of their 48 hour sale they are currently running)

    Total : $665

    ---------------------------------------

    Right now, there's no graphics card included, I figured I'll just wait on that at the moment. Be nice if I could find a real nice one for less than $135 to keep the total budget at $800. Also, as you can see, the RAM is 16gb. I likely have no use for that much, but I figure I'd toss it up there for consideration. I think newegg is selling the same RAM as 8gb (2x4gb sticks) below $50 with free shipping, so I could always invest that towards my graphics card. Anyways, feel free to let me know if any of this looks like a fairly decent bargain.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 118 B Homebuilt system
    April 10, 2012 11:52:30 PM

    Go with the 2500k not the 2550k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    ---
    Cooler Master IMHO doesn't make very good power supplies. Either way, you don't need 850 watt. Even if you SLi/Crossfire 2 decent video cards, 750 is more than enough. Consider this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    ----

    Good choice of motherboard.

    --

    Video card, well a lot of good options for that were already presented in this thread. 135 would buy you an adequate video card, but not a super, super great one. You'd be better off sacrificing CPU cost for a better card, thats why Phenom II was presented as an option when you had a lower budget.

    ----

    16 Gigs is a good idea for a modern gaming system. Although 8GB modules are fairly new and have some quirks to them. They don't seem to overclock well, so I've heard. Keep in mind you can also get your 16 gigs from 4x 4GB modules for about the same price.
    m
    0
    l
    April 11, 2012 9:57:54 AM

    How about this one? $75 with FREE SHIPPING

    -Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-182-...


    The other one I have been looking at is

    CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    It is currently being bundled with the i5 2500k for $327 with $6 shipping. However, there's a $5 rebate which will pretty much cover the shipping charge plus a $10 Promotional Gift Card I can use towards a future purchase (such as the Case or RAM). Also the red LED would probably go nice with the red LED in the case I am planning to get.



    Concerning the power supply, I'd like at least 750w, but 850w would be preferred. Also would like something modular to cut down on cords and give a better airflow to the case. What are some other good brands? SLi/Crossfire read and a nice 80 Plus Certified.

    Thanks for all the input.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    April 11, 2012 5:16:28 PM

    I would take the Rosewill over the Corsair in that case. It's not a great PSU... much like similar OCZ units.

    Suppose you get a 6850 or similar, and then add a second later. two 6850s draw a maximum of 250W by themselves.

    ref http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

    Adding 200W is very generous for the rest of the system. You will never draw more than 450W from the wall. Factor in all the margin you could ever need and future upgrades... and a 650W unit is still overkill.

    Adequate
    Rosewill Green Series 630W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    Better
    Antec EA-650
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    Even better
    Seasonic S12II 620W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    At $70 after promo code, your best buy
    Seasonic M12II (modular) 620W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    One of the very best, out of your price range
    Corsair AX650
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    m
    0
    l
    !