Sign in with
Your question

My graphics card does not work in the PCIe 16x slot.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2012 2:43:27 PM

System Components

COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Model:GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)

EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Model:02G-P3-1568-KR)
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply (Model:RS600-PCARE3-US)

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K (Model:BX80623I52500K)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (Model:F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST500DM002)

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply (Model:RS600-PCARE3-US)

Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition OEM

Description

My 12 year old son and I decided to build our first computer for Christmas.
After several problems (all user related ;-)), we got our system up an running
with exception of the video card when it is placed in the PCIe 16x slot. If I boot
the system with the video card in the 16x slot, the monitor is black.
Here is a list of things I’ve done to diagnose and fix the problem.

. Boot the system with the video card.
The video monitor is black, but the system appears to post (i.e. I get the post beep.).

. Removed the mother board to make sure it wasn’t short circuiting (i.e. no extra standoffs).
No change.

. Made sure all the power wires are connected securely (reconnect and reboot a couple of times to make sure).
No change.

. Disconnect the hard drive so the system will POST but not start up Windows.
I wanted to take Windows and any of its drivers out of the testing.

. In BIOS setup, set “Load Optimized Defaults”, set “Init Display First” to PCIe 16x, save, exit, and reboot.
No change.

. Boot the system without the video card installed (i.e. use the mother board’s built in video).
This works just fine. No problems with the video.

. Go into the BIOS setup and check the system health.
All looks good. The system recognizes the memory (8 Gig), etc.

Re-install the video card (do this a couple of times to make sure it is seated correctly).
No Change.

. Shut the system down. clear the CMOS using the jumper on the mother board.
Restart the system. Do the clear and restart a couple of times. No change.

. Even though the BIOS setup recognizes the memory, try booting with just one stick.
Try a couple of times with each stick. No change.

. Try installing the video card in the PCIe 8x slot.
IT WORKS! So, it must be a problem with the PCIe 16x slot, right? Keep reading....

. Try another video card (a ATI 6450 from another machine) in the 16x slot.
It WORKS! So, looks like the 16x slot works. So maybe it is the video card problem
when it is in a 16x slot? Read on....

. Try putting the new video card in an older computer (a DELL which had the ATI 6450 from above).
The old system has a 16x slot on the mother board.
IT WORKS! So, the video card is ok?

. Maybe it is a power supply problem to the video card. Try the new power supply on the old DELL system
with the new video card.
IT WORKS! So, not a power supply problem.

Summary.

Looks like the 16x slot works with the ATI 6450 card, but not with the new video card.
The new video card seems to work fine in another mother board’s 16x slot, and works
fine in the new mother board in the 8x slot.

Conclusion.

I don’t know? It seem like both the video card an mother board work, but not in the 16x slot.

What else to do?

I could try re-flashing the BIOS. That is a bit scary, but maybe I should do it?
January 25, 2012 3:01:53 PM

I had a similar problem installing an HD430 card into a work PC. It would not show anythingwhen trying to boot with the cardinstalled. In th en i booted from the chipset graphics and manualyuninstalled and then renstalled the drivers several times. Then i restrted and tried to boot using the video card and it seemed to run.
January 25, 2012 3:02:58 PM

sorry for the typo it was a HD4350 card
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:13:16 PM

sound likes a dead card.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 6:09:53 PM

If the card works fine in the x8 slot, it is unlikely to be a dead card or power problem. I know you probably want to fix the problem but the fastest cards on the market can't saturate a x16 slot. This guy did a good test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSfifE2Domo

Have you tried to disable the onboard video and then boot with the gtx 560 ti in the x16 slot? You could try disabling all onboard peripherals and see if it works. Switchable graphics in a laptop makes sense but I really don't get it for a desktop.
I had a gigabyte motherboard that did not like sli gtx 460's. I had to disable the onbaord lan or my system would crash as soon as I enabled sli.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 6:31:42 PM

Does it use a 'dummy' card? My ASUS board uses a card in the first slot thats not really a card, and if just 1 video card, I have to install it in slot 2. Its got a PCI-e interface and then nothing else really. Might be that your board uses the same?
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 7:00:32 PM

vrumor said:
Does it use a 'dummy' card? My ASUS board uses a card in the first slot thats not really a card, and if just 1 video card, I have to install it in slot 2. Its got a PCI-e interface and then nothing else really. Might be that your board uses the same?

That is what I was getting at. The integrated gpu is switchable with the installed gpu in that motherboard. It's possible the integrated graphics is conflicting with the gtx 560 ti which is why I suggested disabling all onboard peripherals and run the card in the x16 slot.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 7:08:11 PM

Well its actually a physical half card. Have to use that in slot 1 if running 1 card, vid card in slot 2. 2 cards, vid card one is still in slot 2, vid card 2 goes in slot 1. Weird, I know, but they gave me a card to fill that slot til I get a 2nd vid card. Was wondering if his board came with the same and he just basically threw it back in the box. Could happen :) 
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 7:15:01 PM

The M4A89TD-PRO is what I have, replacing it in a few days with a 990x EVO board tho.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 7:23:18 PM

Didn't think you meant an actual 'dummy' card. Got to admit, I have never heard of that either.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 7:27:19 PM

I had never seen it either, but its a great motherboard, just kinda odd having to keep the half card in there heh.
!