Radeon hd5450 set up issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvinmole82

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I decided to upgrade my Pentium 4 PC and install a Radeon HD5450 graphics card. After i put it in the slot and turn on the computer the monitor goes into power saving mode and there are no lights on the keyboard. I thought it was due to a lack of power from my standard 300w psu so i upgraded to a OCZ 600W psu which i believed should have more than enough power. I still get the same power saving mode when i turn on the pc with the new graphics card. Any thoughts?

Solution
pcie is not an issue [at least gen] 5450 supports 1st gen as well
it could be defective yes..
does your motherboard have video output?? if yes try thru that..

marvinmole82

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
its a E-system pentium 4, 3.0Ghz with 960MB of RAM on windows xp.

I have tried connecting the monitor through both the VGA slot on the new card and through the original.

I will try disabling the onboard one through BIOS. I changed a few settings on Bios but didn't know if i disabled the onboard card and the new one didn't work, if i would be able to see anything! Im not an expert as you can probably tell, changing the psu and graphics card were the first time i had cracked open my pc

marvinmole82

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
yep, tried removing my ram and loading the latest drivers to no effect. I finally got an email back from the supplier giving me a list of things to try-

1) Reseat the card - sometimes it may look as though the card is fitted correctly, but upon closer inspection it is in the slot at an angle or not fully in.

2) Make sure your PCI-E power connectors are fully connected to the card, and if the card has multiple power ports then make sure they are ALL connected.

3) Make sure your DVI/VGA/HDMI cable is connected to the card. Sounds obvious, but confirm that you have connected it to the horizontally aligned port on the back of the card, not the vertically aligned port on the motherboard. Once you move the cable you will need to reset the machine to get it to recognise this (press reset button).

4) Check the connection at the back of the screen - try a different input port if possible.

5) Make sure your Power Supply Unit has a rated wattage of at least 500 watts, and that it can provide 22 amps on the 12v rails. Most modern graphics cards require a high power output. Having an underrated PSU can cause a variety of problems ranging from freezing and Blue Screen errors, to a complete failure to boot and possible damage to the Power Supply Unit and other components.

6) Boot the computer using motherboard graphics only (if available, if not skip this step), go to the BIOS (by pressing F2/F11/Del when you see the logo screen, and change the "Initialise display first" setting to PCI express.

7) Reinstall your graphics drivers. You can do this by going to the card chipset manufacturer's website (either AMD/ATI, NVidia or Intel) and downloading the latest drivers for your particular model.

8) Fully air dust the component. Dust creates heat and stores static electricity - possibly causing damage to circuits. It is important to air dust your entire machine on a regular basis.

9) Perform a static discharge. You can do this by removing the AC mains cable from the machine; and then holding in the front power switch for 45 seconds. Then plug the mains cable back in and power it up. This removes any residual static electricity that could have built up inside the case.

10) Change the resolution of your monitor. You can do this in Windows 7 by right clicking the desktop, then select ‘Screen resolution’. You can do this in Windows XP by right clicking the desktop, select ‘Properties’ and then going to the ‘Settings’ tab. Set it to the resolution which is as high as possible but still readable, preferably the Native Resolution of your monitor.

marvinmole82

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
tried all of these and still the same result.
I have noticed that when the screen goes into power save the computer doesnt make the normal booting sounds and the mouse and keyboard do not have the usual lights.

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

some component is not working right..

marvinmole82

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Finally solved it, i had almost given up and returned the card when i found one more thing i could try- resetting the cmos i did this and it now works fine, thanks for all the suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts