problems getting to the internet on 98

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
I've got a computer at work, that wont go out to the internet. i've all ready estiblesed it's not the nic or the connection. i tried to see if firefox (to make shure it wasnt just corruped files with in IE), would get out the net, but to no avial it gave me an error, much like when useing IE. Any ideas what might be causeing this, its left me and my manager confused, so any in sights would be help full.

note i've tried to run the error code at M$ site but it gave me nothing. thanks in advance.

-Bre

NANANA NANANA NANANA BREEMAN BREEMAN

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
How is your PC getting its IP address? DHCP or Static? From what source? How are you connected to the internet- DSL/Cable/Other broadband or dial-up? Are other computers on the same network able to get out? What was the error IE gave you?

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
1: DHCP
2: cisco router
3: Cable
4: yes

IE isnt giveing me an error any more, i tried to reinstall the NIC and now its just wanting to go to M$ with an error report, and unless you want that big huge long error report(techincal detials) i dont know how to get it any more.

Thanks

-Bre

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ok, basic troubleshooting then.

1) Dos Box and run IPCONFIG. Hmm, WIn98... umm... <brain fart> brb... yep, IPCONFIG. Do you get a good IP addy? Primary & secondary DNS?

if they're OK, 2) ping the router. (type PING <router IP addy> i.e., ping 192.168.1.1)

If the router pings ok 3) Ping the DNS.

IF DNS pings OK 4) Ping some website (ping www.microsoft.com) or wherever.

If that pings ok, then the problem is likely in Windows or IE. Based on the error report request (I wouldn't know what to do with all the useless information it gives), I'm guessing its a software problem. Can you remember anything about the original error? Maybe I'll have more ideas in the AM or someone else will...

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
DOS to 98 is winipconfig. Win98se and beyond is ipconfig.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
no you can use ipconfig in 98 i used it. i can ping inside the company, i can't how ever see out side, (i.e. micosoft.com) hence why im realy confused by all this. if i cant get this up and working sometime today, im haveing to look at backing up and rebuilding the system.

-Bre

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
ah so thats the trick. Haven't really delt w/ anything but win2k/xp :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

riser

Illustrious
yeah... its really old crap.

I was talking to a guy the other day who had his MCSE on NT.. he stopped after 2000 came out. I know a lot of technical people who went a different route when 2000 came out..and I know a ton who came on with the onset of 2000.

I was out on Technet today doing one of their demos. I walked through installing, configuring SMS2k3, and pushing out it's client. Took about 60 minutes to do the demo, but about 20-30 minutes in actual setup time. Good stuff.. I like that feature.

Just thought I'd toss that in there if you or others weren't aware microsoft offers actual demo servers to work off. :)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ok, that means probably 1 of 2 things:
1) Default gateway is misconfigured.
2) DNS is misconfigured.

Ping 64.233.161.99 and see if that gets out.

If that works, then default gateway is ok, and the DNS is screwy. If not, then default gateway is hosed. Need to check/fix the appropriate one.

Mike.

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
DNS and Default gateway are all corect, i all ready checked those, but i went back and pinged the ip and it got though, double checked the DNS and Gateway settings, and their still corect. thanks for the idea ill have to remember it for latter ^^

-Bre

riser

Illustrious
Full troubleshooting steps:

Does your NIC have a light on when the cable is plugged in? Should be a green or amber light.

Do you get a valid IP address? (not 169.x)

When you run IPCONFIG /ALL do you get valid information?

Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

Can you ping your DHCP server or Router?
(Some places might block outside Ping attempts)

Can you get to www.tomshardware.com? If not, try using the IP address of Tomshardware: 66.39.107.248

If you can get through via the IP address, your DNS is mixed up.

Did you check to see if a Proxy was configured?

Are you able to ping local servers or other computers/devices?

If you can ping but still can't get out:

I'd check to make sure you're getting the correct Router/Gateway, DNS (if you're not running your own DNS, it should be pointed to your DHCP server, which in turn should point it to your ISP's DNS outside of the router).

If you're running a domain, check to make sure that user/computer has internet access rights.

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
Does your NIC have a light on when the cable is plugged in? Should be a green or amber light?

yes, second thing i checked

Do you get a valid IP address? (not 169.x)

yes

When you run IPCONFIG /ALL do you get valid information?

yes, i compaired it to a computer that could get out, and all non-machine specif data was the same, so i'd have to say its correct

Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

yes

Can you ping your DHCP server or Router?
(Some places might block outside Ping attempts)

yes

Can you get to www.tomshardware.com?

nope, sort of hard to when IE and FireFox gives me fatel errors when i start them.

If not, try using the IP address of Tomshardware: 66.39.107.248

yes

Did you check to see if a Proxy was configured?

Our computers are set to automatic detection of settings, so does a proxy need to be configured under that situation? i wasnt aware that it was.

Are you able to ping local servers or other computers/devices?

yes

check to make sure you're getting the correct Router/Gateway, DNS

all good

check to make sure that user/computer has internet access rights

computer isnt on our domain, as its on a work group.

-Bre

riser

Illustrious
Do you have all your windows updates? Go into Internet Properties through Control Panel, delete all installed Objects.

Check for spyware/malware with Adaware/Spybot.

Run a virus scan. If you need to, run it over the network from another computer.

If it's IE crashing, you might need to uninstall Java, delete activex controls, or download a newer version of IE.

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
all ready ran spy and virius scans on the computer. whent to delete files, via Internet Proprities, and it kept locking up on me. theres no java on the computer, and where would the active x controls be located other then the delete files option under Internet proprities? also i thought you needed to be online to download the latest updates for IE. since you have to download them strait from Uncle Bill. plz corect me if im wrong about that. if i cant get this done in the next hour, im going to back up and try installing 98 over the current install

-Bre

riser

Illustrious
You can download redistributables on another computer for IE, courtesy of Uncle Bill.

Also, Internet Properties - Settings - View Objects -

Delete everything in there (downloaded objects, like flash players, etc.)

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
ok, well i knew that, i just dont know how... [/sad]

yup tried that, it kept locking up IE

thanks man, well its raining, and i cant take the DVD burner over to the other building to to the back up, so it looks like ill just have to wait on reinstalling win98

-Bre