Upgrade MB's without XP re-install????

G

I have a very stable system running XP Pro with an FIC AD-11.

AD-11
AMD TB 1.33 Gig
2 x 256 PC2100 DDR CAS 2.5@ 133MHz RAM
GeForce 3 Ti 500
SB Audigy Platinum
3COM NIC
Promise Fastrack 100 IDE RAID Controller (4x IBM 7200 RPM 75 Gig Deskstar Raid 0+1).
Canopus DVStorm (RealTime DV editing Card)
running WinXP Pro

I just bought a Tyan MP 2640 w/ 2 MP1800's and 2 x 512 MB PC2100 DDR ECC CAS 2 @ 133 MHz RAM.

Can I just install the new MB in my existing case with same pererphrials, and expect Win XP to autodetect new MB and install proper drivers? I really don't want to reinstall all my software if I can avoid it. Am I crazy?

Thanks!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
> "<font color=green>Can I just install the new MB in my existing case with same pererphrials, and expect Win XP to autodetect new MB and install proper drivers? I really don't want to reinstall all my software if I can avoid it. Am I crazy?</font color=green>"

- Sort of looking for trouble..

Never tried with XP.
From Accessories, Backup, create the Emergency Repair Disk with registry backup option. Or better perform full backup, or mirror your WinXP partition to somewhere.
Make sure you have your WinXP installation disk and drivers handy.

While on the old motherboard, delete all the devices related to the motherboard from the Device Manager and shut down the machine. Replace the motherboard with your new one.

Start up the machine. Sure, it won’t boot. But you try and tell us. Just interesting to know the result.

carlbeck

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I swapped my components from one Tower (Mother Board) to another and the only thing I had to do was install the drivers for the changed Mother Board. All programs, and I have a bunch, were still there and working. I didn't bother with deleating the drivers before I swapped. I just let it "Found new Hardware" and had my Driver CD's ready. It was surprizing how Windows XP even installed new Drivers without the need for my CD's.