Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 volume slider problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 14, 2010 12:19:58 AM

Hello all,
I hope someone can help me with a very annoying problem.
I'm running Win 7 Home Premium, 12 gig ram with a Realtek HD audio card on board, the problem is the volume slider moves randomly down to 0%, very annoying while gaming and cannot be moved up as it will move back to 0% by itself, it also will do this up to 100% randomly which is not as big a problem but still not right.
I have the latest video and audio drivers available and if it's any help I had the same problem with Vista before I upgraded to Win 7, clean install.
I have been researching this for a while have found nothing that has helped.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any tips or insight into solving this problem.

Nob.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2010 1:51:20 AM

Go to Control Panel>Sound>Communications. Click the "Do Nothing" radio button and hit OK. Does this fix it?
January 15, 2010 2:09:36 AM

Hey Bolbi,

Thanks for the response, I have already found this fix in my research and done this and it has lessened the problem, really weird stuff, but now the volume slider still moves, but now just about 5 or 7 per cent which still makes me nervous that it will move all the way to 0 or 100 per cent.

I've been working with PC's for a long time and this is the strangest problem I have ever seen!!

Nob22
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2010 12:26:53 PM

Hmm... I have the same sort of Audio Chipset (Realtek HD Audio on an AMD chipset), and have never had this problem after changing the Communications setting.
Try going into msconfig and disabling any Realtek entries under the Startup tab. You could also use a program like Autoruns or CCleaner to do this.
!