anyone have problems with SB Plat 5.1?

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
i was reading in the CPU forum and someone said that SB Live! PLatinum 5.1 and all 5.1 sound cards made by creative have tons of problems... he also said that people have been posting there problems here for a while but after i look over resent posts i havent really seen any majer problems with it... were they jsut bashing it?

<b><font color=red><^></font color=red></b>

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Once you get the drivers installed- can be a chore- and if you are lucky enough to get no constant popps in the backround then the card is great. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

My Jesus is whiter than your Jesus.

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
only problem i came in contact with was the remote center
after getting the update from creative for it i havent had a problem one with it.
and that was on a win2k system.

didnt need the patch for the other os'es

those who been having problems. probably forgot to turn off the default sound card on there mobo. or are smoking a wee bit too much.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
so others are getting the constant "pops" in the background too? i get it while playing certain mp3's. incredibly irritating. i thought it was a problem with my mobo and via kt133a chipset. does anyone have a solution for this?

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if u mean that screeching sound in the back round that is enough to break ur teeth? ya i had that too. has something to do with who ever is copying it. i cleaned a couple up and even downloaded a differnt mp3 and it cleared up. but that isnt from teh sound card or be on everone i would think.

oh and i had one problem with my sb 5.1 and sb live. the 2000 drivers are friggen powerful? and blew out me right speaker. so i guess i did have a problem...heh

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I read from one poster here that most of the problems with SB live come from
the OEM version drivers. Fortunately I bought the full retail (a rarity for me),
and I've had no problems with it. Uhh...Except for 1 small one. And yes I’m using that
notorious VIA chipset with the 686 south bridge. The small problem is that when
I’m surfing I listen to rock stations, and after about 30min (sometimes) my sound
just quits....beats me....I reboot and it’s okay though. And oh yea.....I get one
single “POP” when I boot up...but none after that. But then again I don’t do much
with my sound besides listen to music while I surf and play games.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AAHHHHH!!! Who are you? I always say I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken, well not allways, but intermittently since 7th grade. I thought I was the only one.

mx300 also will quit in win2000 for no reason, then I reboot and it's fine. Game Theater XP though has no problems.

My Jesus is whiter than your Jesus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Obviously, nobody remembers the soundcard comparisons between the original Live and the MX300/SQ2500. The Live made people drop frames in several games, do to it's high system overhead. Well, Aureal was driven out of business by Creative after that with frivolous lawsuites. So now we can consider them only for older machines that are compatable, or look for other solutions, such as those from Phillips. Either that, or pay more for a POS Live, which BTW I do own, and it can't hold a candle to my SQ2500 for sound quality, plus it makes my 3D-Mark 2k score go down.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Yep, a friend bought me a pin in the 7TH GRADE (believe it or not...lol) with that maxim printed on it....She said it reminded her of me. =8-] (I'm 34 now)

Interesting that other sounds cards quit sometimes too. I would get uptight if it happedned often, but it's rare so I let it go. I surfed for 3 hourse last night and played music the whole time no problems.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.