Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitor Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2012 5:24:03 PM

OK, i have a HP Compaq 8000 elite PC Convertiable Minitower and it has a dongle port on the back. We are useing that port for an extra VGA port for my dual monitor. But here is the thing, we are useing the onboard VGA port and the Dongle for our dual monitors and every morning (or time it has been sitting off for a while) we come in and the monitor does not respond at all. I cant go into screen resolution and detect the monitor at all. But here is the other kicker, The onboard VGA and the dongle Both work but i need to restart the computer every morning in order to get it to work (or d/c the cord and reconnect it)

I have never had this problem and i have no clue what it could be. I already updated the video driver from HP's website and i updated their version of Actual Multiple Moniters to the latest versions. I have looked in the bios and seen nothing, it has to be something that stays with the computer until the power if fully drained but i dont know what that could be.

Any help would be greatly appreaceated! Thanks!

More about : dual monitor problem

a c 166 U Graphics card
a b α HP
January 25, 2012 5:32:53 PM

If the PC goes to sleep it may lose track of the device. Why not just shut it down at night?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 5:42:01 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If the PC goes to sleep it may lose track of the device. Why not just shut it down at night?

Agreed. You are drastically reducing the lifespan of your computer by leaving it running all the time. It is also costing you money. Would you leave a couple of lightbulbs running 24/7?
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 7:25:50 PM

Sorry, i didnt explain it enough, I dont put my computer to sleep. I shut it down every night and because it sits powered down for a certain amount of time i cant use the second monitor until i restart the machine. When i power it on after it has been powered off (not sleeping) then it doesnt recongnize the second monitor.

Thanks for the replys though! :D 
m
l
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b α HP
January 25, 2012 8:12:50 PM

Bookable said:
Sorry, i didnt explain it enough, I dont put my computer to sleep. I shut it down every night and because it sits powered down for a certain amount of time i cant use the second monitor until i restart the machine. When i power it on after it has been powered off (not sleeping) then it doesnt recongnize the second monitor.

Thanks for the replys though! :D 

OK, got it. When you turn it on the first time, the second monitor is on before the PC? If you go to display properties, does it only show one screen at all, or one screen active and one screen darkened?
m
l
January 26, 2012 12:48:12 PM

hang-the-9 said:
OK, got it. When you turn it on the first time, the second monitor is on before the PC? If you go to display properties, does it only show one screen at all, or one screen active and one screen darkened?

When i turn it on for the first time after it being shutdown for at least 3 hours it turns on and the picture only displays on my primary monitor, and after i log into windows i cant even go into display properties and detect the second monitor. The only way to detect the second monitor is to restart or d/c and r/c the secondary display VGA cord.

This is on windows 7 professional 32 bit by the way.

Thanks in advance!
m
l
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b α HP
January 26, 2012 3:21:51 PM

Bit odd behavior but could be something particular to that model. Try HP support see if they have anything to say about this.
m
l
January 31, 2012 2:17:17 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Bit odd behavior but could be something particular to that model. Try HP support see if they have anything to say about this.

I know its odd, i contacted hp customer support and they said that it can ethier be the dongle or the motherboard port, i got a new dongle and that fixes it for a few days and then it goes bad again. Im going to try a new motherboard soon here and ill see what happens.

Frankly i dont think it can be any of these things because it only does it in the morning. I tried to replicate the problem by unplugging literaly everything inside of the computer to remove the power source because it seems like something is keeping power to save the configuration but i tried everything and i cant re-create it, i have to wait till morning to see it happen.

Really weird. Thanks for the replys though!
m
l
!