Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help! fps trouble

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 25, 2012 5:41:52 PM

I recently bought a new computer and it is running great usually but sometimes when i play games (League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth mostly) i get terrible FPS and i have no idea what causes it. I am always running skype to speak with my friends but i close everything else running in the background but it doesnt help, the wierd thing is that the FPS usually goes up again in the next game but about every 5th game i play of LoL the FPS is terrible.
What hardware would i have to upgrade to prevent this from happening? (i have the latest graphics driver so it shouldn't be a software problem)

8GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 965 / 3.4 GHz proces
GPU = XFX Radeon HD 6970 - 880MHz 2GB
HDD = Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 3.5? 1TB
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0) - ATX

I'm sorry about any poor grammar, english is not my first language but thanks in advance

More about : fps trouble

a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 5:45:57 PM

With that setup you should not be getting terrible fps in any game. You don't need to upgrade. You have a problem that needs fixing. What games does this happen in and what do you mean every 5th game the fps is terrible?
January 25, 2012 6:20:48 PM

alrobichaud said:
With that setup you should not be getting terrible fps in any game. You don't need to upgrade. You have a problem that needs fixing. What games does this happen in and what do you mean every 5th game the fps is terrible?

It happens sometimes in most games but only occasionally and by every 5th game i mean every fifth game of League of Legends (DoTA style game where you play a game at a time)
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 6:41:17 PM

Download HWMonitor and check the temperatures when it happens. Might be overheating problem. The CPU shouldn't be higher than 65C and GPU should be below 75C.

Also, when you're gaming, are you gaming in windowed mode? It might bug out and your graphics card might start working in 2D mode. The only solution I found for myself was to game in fullscreen.
January 25, 2012 8:53:01 PM

Sunius said:
Download HWMonitor and check the temperatures when it happens. Might be overheating problem. The CPU shouldn't be higher than 65C and GPU should be below 75C.

Also, when you're gaming, are you gaming in windowed mode? It might bug out and your graphics card might start working in 2D mode. The only solution I found for myself was to game in fullscreen.

If it is indeed the heat what should i be doing then? more fans or?
btw im not gaming in windowed so that shouldn't be the case at least.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 9:16:04 PM

TonWombat said:
If it is indeed the heat what should i be doing then? more fans or?
btw im not gaming in windowed so that shouldn't be the case at least.



You should try MSI kombuster. It is a free download. It will do a stress test on your video card and show it's temperature. IF the temps are too high the monitor will start to turn red to indicate this. If you are having any problems related to the gpu, kombuster will help you figure out what it is. You can try Core temp for your cpu. It is another free download and will monitor your cpu temps.
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 7:48:12 AM

TonWombat said:
If it is indeed the heat what should i be doing then? more fans or?
btw im not gaming in windowed so that shouldn't be the case at least.


First step would be to clean the dust. Then the next move if it doesn't solve would be leaving the computer case open while gaming, however, if it's not acceptable to you, there are other solutions. If CPU is overheating, a new CPU heatsink and fan (they come together) would be a great solution, however, for graphics card you'd either need a case fan or a new case. Also, what is your Power Supply? A bad quality one could make the parts overheat.
January 26, 2012 12:46:38 PM

Sunius said:
First step would be to clean the dust. Then the next move if it doesn't solve would be leaving the computer case open while gaming, however, if it's not acceptable to you, there are other solutions. If CPU is overheating, a new CPU heatsink and fan (they come together) would be a great solution, however, for graphics card you'd either need a case fan or a new case. Also, what is your Power Supply? A bad quality one could make the parts overheat.

I run a Corsair 850W powersupply so that shouldn't be the problem... i guess i'll look into the whole heat thing, thank you very much :D 
!