Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me spend MONEY!

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 4:21:03 AM

I dont know exactly where this fits in the forums but I would love some input. Here goes, My birthday is coming up and I don't know what to tell my wife to get me, she keeps asking! I would love to add stuff to my system, but atm I'm at loss for what I really even want to upgrade. I only use my computer for gaming, I'm a video editor, but I never do any work from home. Any ideas? Maybe new components? A cool accessory? What should I tell her!?! Sticking to a $400 budget. Let me know what you think! Oh yea I play SWTOR, SC2, Skyrim and very soon Diablo 3.

CPU: Phenom II 965 BE (4.0ghz Air OC)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
GPU: XFX RAdeon 6950 2gb
CAse: Antec 1200
PSU: Antec 750w
RAM: kingston hyper x 1333- 12G
HD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate
SSD: 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3
Keyboard: Logitech G510
Mouse Logitech G9x
Headset: Tritton AX720
2x Monitors- 24" Dell ultrasharp, and 22" acer

So what do you think? I was thinking about upgrading to an Intel Ivy Bridge, but for gaming is it even worth upgrading now? I run everything at full setting, above 50fps sometimes lower in MMO's Thanks for any input, feel free to move this to another part of the forum, but I don't really know where else to put it

More about : spend money

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 4:26:58 AM

Your system seems pretty balanced, and if you're happy with performance in all the games you play, then an internal component upgrade might not be worth it to you. Do you have a blu-ray drive? Maybe get a blu-ray drive and a 3D monitor so you can watch 3D movies and play 3D games.

I don't really know which monitors work with AMD 3D, or much about 3D setups in general, though.

a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 6:17:35 AM

You COULD get a second 6950, they're hard to find though.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 6:59:40 AM

How about going watercooled and that third monitor?
Xspc/Swiftech kits are a good introduction to water and another 22'' monitor can't be that much?
Moto
m
l
April 2, 2012 8:54:36 AM

The weakest link is the CPU and mobo. I wouldn't do anything about this system right now until it is not running the game you want at good frame rate. If that occur (CPU is limiting the frame rate), do a full IB upgrade on CPU and mobo.
Maybe a big night out and spend the remainder on a new build in the future.

m
l
April 2, 2012 9:28:48 AM

A larger SSD :D 
m
l
April 2, 2012 1:22:03 PM

Nice Responses!

2nd 6950 sounds, but I'm CPU bottle necked I think.
I'll check out those water cooling options too.
as for Monitors, I would definately dig a 3D montor and some blu-ray, is 3D gaming actually good, any of the time I've seen it in a store, it wasn't working.

Edit: ANy other suggestions?
m
l
April 2, 2012 6:03:55 PM

Guess I'm going to have to do some more research, I'm starting to look at laptops! Yikes they are pricey for gaming
m
l
April 9, 2012 2:11:15 PM

Best answer selected by streetbl.
m
l
!